3.5L Ecoboost in 2011 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alex38
I use my truck to pull my boats, haul people and things on fishing and hunting trips, drive in snowy weather, occasional hauling, and some commuting. I typically use my car for commuting, but the truck gets driven at least 2-3 times per week for various things. I need something bigger with more room due to a growing family, and the fact that my current 22' boat gives my current truck all it can handle, regardless of what it is supposedly rated to tow (5500lbs). I'm also leary of buying a new motor in it's first year. I wouldn't worry about the 5.0, but the Ecoboost is new and unproven technology for Ford. I do, however, appreciate the supposedly better fuel economy, as I typically put 15-20k miles per year on a truck, in addition to the miles on my car. It is the direct injection that really scares me, after seeing pics of valves on various VWs and Audis that were very fouled up. Anyone know if Ford has done anything to address this?

Not to be a smart behind but the 5.0 is also a new engine it isn't the same as the old 5.0/302 it is now a modular design and could have it's problems.

How different is the truck 5.0 from the one in the stang? Because I know a lot of stang guys have been making great power out of them and beating the [censored] out of them cause there was a lot of talk about how they would hold up to mods/boost and if it was maxed out from the factory. Just adding what I know. Heard of transmission problems in the new 5.0's but not engine problems yet, haven't seriously looked into it though

The 3.5 EB has been around in the Taurus and other platforms for a year or two. Check around and see if the SHO has had any issuses.

The 5.0 is a great option too.

The new 5.0 is an evolution from the 4.6 & 5.4 modular engine family which has a proven track record in the field for reliability.

Originally Posted By: meep
I have never been a ford supporter until recently, past 5 years. I'm impressed with what they have become. I think it'd be worth the gamble. if I had to clean valve deposits with a seafoam/bg treatment every 2 years, how is that different than what I do now? I would support the technology.
Mike
That wont work. There is NO Fuel going by the valves. DI -It's like a diesel injector setup.

Originally Posted By: mac9128
How different is the truck 5.0 from the one in the stang?

Not much, half of a point less compression and lesser duration cams being biggest differences to the long-block itself. Then there's the typical truck & Mustang differences that cost power: exhaust setup, air inlet setup, tuning, etc.

IIRC that the 2011 F-150 is available with Non turbo V-6 that is close to 300 HP, or is my memory failing. Has anyone seen a review and or driven one. Just curious

I admire Ford for the eco-boost engine. For all of you that are throwing caution to the wind because it's a Turbo need to rest easy. Turbos are NOT NEW and have been used in many applications for years. In the early years, poor maintenance and driver behaviors combined with oil that was not as good as today caused many turbo failures. Not anymore - with water cooled turbos, improved materials and oil - and a Turbo will last pretty much the life of the engine.

I think the concern isn't the fact that its got a turbo but more than its a DI turbo engine.

Originally Posted By: mac9128
I think the concern isn't the fact that its got a turbo but more than its a DI turbo engine.

Exactly! I'm not hesitant at all about buying one due to the turbo. I'm hesitating because I don't want to deal with buildup issues on the intake valves in the future, and am wanting to know if Ford has done anything to address the issue, instead of ignoring it like most other manufacturers of DI engine. If I don't have any more data to go off of by the time I'm ready to order, I'll get the 5.0 due to the fact that it isn't DI. I'd like to have the EcoBoost due to the fuel economy with driving unloaded, but the potential future hassles may not be worth it.

Out here in Colorado, I'd take the eco-boost. At 10,000 feet, the turbo makes all the difference in the world. The 5.0 at 10,000 feet has lost 30% of its horsepower.

We recently sold our '03 F-150 5.4, because the altitude totally kills its pulling power, with a camper and two quad trailer. We bought a '99 Cummins 2500 and put an edge programmer on it. Now, we're layin down 300 hp and 700 ft lbs torque to the wheels, with 25 psi of boost, yeah baby! The truck gets 20 mpg cruising down the highway.

ford is looking like it is going to be the king for years to come. even though i drive gm vehicles. i bought a new 97 f150 and a almost new 99 f150. great trucks absoultly great trucks. steve

i would go with the ford, detroit makes really good trucks and suvs...cars have come a long way too...i was sitting in a new f150 lariat one time, it was awesome

I want an Ecoboost 4-door Raptor. Bummer, not going to happen. Anyone know if the 4-door Raptor is out yet?
Perfect platform for a FSB Bronco body!

Get the 5.0 and sleep well at night knowing your turbo is not still spinning long aftet you've gone to bed.
Ecoboost if you were not going to tow anything. I bet when in tow, it would be extremely difficult NOt to engage the turbo during normal acceleration, and that, = increased fuel consumption.

Completley OT, but I saw a guy in a boosted Taurus doing about 80 on NYS Thruway and then he opened it up-boy did that thing go lik a rped ape. 10 miles down the road NYS Trooper had him on the side of the road

Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
Completley OT, but I saw a guy in a boosted Taurus doing about 80 on NYS Thruway and then he opened it up-boy did that thing go lik a rped ape. 10 miles down the road NYS Trooper had him on the side of the road

Steve

I remember when the original Taurus SHO came out in the late '80's. With 220hp, we thought that thing was a beast for a 4-door sedan. Now we have the 365hp Ecoboost Taurus. That's better than the "good old days".

Originally Posted By: steve20
Get the 5.0 and sleep well at night knowing your turbo is not still spinning long aftet you've gone to bed.
Ecoboost if you were not going to tow anything. I bet when in tow, it would be extremely difficult NOt to engage the turbo during normal acceleration, and that, = increased fuel consumption.

Steve
I am sure the trooper just wanted to make sure 5w-20 was being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back