2018 CR’s Recommended Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Yeah I know. Still not available in size I need.
PSS might be old news, but it is still light years ahead of "new news" from other manufacturers.

[censored], that sucks. How about the PS4? They are supposed to be marginally better than the PSS. Honestly, the competition has really caught up. If the PS4S did not come in my size, I was going to get the Continental ExtemeContact Sport.

I highly doubt Continental Extreme Contact Sport is on par with PSS. Extreme Contact is North American knock off high-performance tire. The comparison from Continental to Michelin PSS would be Continental Sport Contact 5 or 6.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
PSS might be old news, but it is still light years ahead of "new news" from other manufacturers.

I recently outfitted my sig car with Michelin P4S in 275/35/20 sizing. My two previous sets of tires were Michelin PSS.

The difference is rather remarkable, since the PSS was by far the best tire ever on the car. With P4S I can barely get a wheel to spin, amazing actually. And even better in the rain!

If they actually last longer as they are reputed to do they are the best tire I have ever driven on by far!

I hope by next summer they offer P4S in size I need.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I recently outfitted my sig car with Michelin P4S in 275/35/20 sizing. My two previous sets of tires were Michelin PSS.

The difference is rather remarkable, since the PSS was by far the best tire ever on the car. With P4S I can barely get a wheel to spin, amazing actually. And even better in the rain!

If they actually last longer as they are reputed to do they are the best tire I have ever driven on by far!

I hope by next summer they offer P4S in size I need.

You know it's funny. The OE michelins on my accord hybrid have been wearing like iron. But I was having a look at tire pricing for that car, and the OE tires in it (Michelin Energy Saver A/S) are $199 at TR, while the P4S in the same size, 225/50-17, are 192.

I swap to snow tires for three months. Would never put them to use, but it's funny to think that a tire of that kind is cheaper than the OE. Just what my hybrid needs!

[censored], that sucks. How about the PS4? They are supposed to be marginally better than the PSS. Honestly, the competition has really caught up. If the PS4S did not come in my size, I was going to get the Continental ExtemeContact Sport.

I highly doubt Continental Extreme Contact Sport is on par with PSS. Extreme Contact is North American knock off high-performance tire. The comparison from Continental to Michelin PSS would be Continental Sport Contact 5 or 6.

The Extremecontact Sport is their newest tire. Better than the PSS performance wise, comparable, but not quite as good as, the new PS4S.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223

Quote:
For a picture of how much tire technology advances with time, look no further than the wet track performance of the tires in this test. The Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) posted the fastest average lap times from our most recent Max Performance Summer tire test, yet was a second off the pace this time around. The Pilot Sport 4S was barely edged out by the Continental in our objective 50-0mph braking and skidpad tests, but has such a broad plateau of available traction that it is easy to maximize, providing average lap times that were a quarter of a second faster than the ExtremeContact Sport. Conversely, the Continental displayed higher ultimate grip, but was peaky in its delivery, so it was more difficult to access its full range of performance. The P Zero (PZ4) performed in the wet much the same as it did in the dry. It was friendly, balanced and easy to drive, but did not have the available traction of the other two tires, and as a result posted commensurately slower lap times.

Have been in several cars on track with the new Conti Sport. I was very, very impressed.

Last edited:

The Extremecontact Sport is their newest tire. Better than the PSS performance wise, comparable, but not quite as good as, the new PS4S.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223

Quote:
For a picture of how much tire technology advances with time, look no further than the wet track performance of the tires in this test. The Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) posted the fastest average lap times from our most recent Max Performance Summer tire test, yet was a second off the pace this time around. The Pilot Sport 4S was barely edged out by the Continental in our objective 50-0mph braking and skidpad tests, but has such a broad plateau of available traction that it is easy to maximize, providing average lap times that were a quarter of a second faster than the ExtremeContact Sport. Conversely, the Continental displayed higher ultimate grip, but was peaky in its delivery, so it was more difficult to access its full range of performance. The P Zero (PZ4) performed in the wet much the same as it did in the dry. It was friendly, balanced and easy to drive, but did not have the available traction of the other two tires, and as a result posted commensurately slower lap times.

Have been in several cars on track with the new Conti Sport. I was very, very impressed.

These Continentals are OK when new. 10K after, I would take PSS any day over best Continental can offer, and I drive regularly on Continentals last 20 years.
I was cutting thru rain like a razor with PSS with 3/32 tread. Try that with Conti's.

I was cutting thru rain like a razor with PSS with 3/32 tread. Try that with Conti's.

This was the most amazing thing about the PSS. Even with heavy wear they still somehow get traction in the rain. And trust me, the PS4S is even better!

To add to your post, Michelin's budget competitor to the ExtremeContact Sport is the BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2
smile.gif

Between the Comp-2 and the ExtremeContact Sport, which would you choose?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

To add to your post, Michelin's budget competitor to the ExtremeContact Sport is the BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2
smile.gif

Probably would go with Conti. Just bcs I have soft spot for Conti, not that I can absolutely say one is better then another one.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

I've already faced that question, and after considering both, as well as the Firehawk Indy 500 (nee RE003), went with the ECS.

It's the newest, most modern tire in that segment, and saves 2 lbs per wheel in my fitment over the BFG, which is a refined version of an older design.

That said, I think it hews closer to the BFG, Firestone, and others in the UHPS class rather than the Max class PSS/PS4 its aimed at. I can see it as a budget alternative to the Michelins, or somewhere in between the two classes.

After a little over 1000mi, I have nothing to complain about. I went cheap with the prior set of tires on that car (Hankook V12), and keeping in mind not comparing new tires to worn tires, it's nice to drive on a set of non-mushy tires again (which is ironic, given the ECS' predecessor, the DW, was noted for being soft).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back