2017 Harley Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are plenty of touring bikes that are also rocketships. Off the top of my head, the Concours 1400, the Honda ST1100 and 1300, any modern BMW RT, or a Yamaha FJR1300.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
There are plenty of touring bikes that are also rocketships. Off the top of my head, the Concours 1400, the Honda ST1100 and 1300, any modern BMW RT, or a Yamaha FJR1300.

The bikes mentioned above are a completelty different class of bikes from heavy weight 1600 CC and above touring bikes offered by Indian, Harley and Triumph.

Ps, Im a fan of the new 2016 FJR, Yami finally gave it a sixth gear, awesome reviews in the press for a sport cruiser. Different class of bike, sport tourer. My wife however petite is not going to sit on or be part of long interstate trips on the back of one.

As far as "Rocketship" ummmm, have no need for that or to go much above the legal speed lmits any more the I do in a car. So cruising effortlessly, rock solid without the slightest buzzy feeling, unswayed by wind, huge trucks and can put the bike on cruise control with a passanger and luggage for hours at a time at 75 to 85 MPH in comfort is the objective and heavy weight cruisers do this best.

There is a purpose for every class of bike, for every type of buyer, no different then cars and trucks, as well as a quality of construction, fit, finish, paint and detail.

The need for power, interstate cruising, comfort, fit, finish, luggage capacity and quality feel of the bike is much greater for me and my wife then a bike that can do a 1/4 mile in 11 seconds or less. So Im ok with my almost 800 lb cruiser and a quarter mile time of up to 3 seconds longer. 13 to 14 seconds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dr2152
Maybe Indian and Honda Gold Wing will go to 4 valve cylinder heads now.

The 107, even with its 4 valves per cylinder, still won't perform like a Goldwing...

Originally Posted By: grampi

The 107, even with its 4 valves per cylinder, still won't perform like a Goldwing...

So you rode both?

Those are sport touring bikes. Good for a few hundred miles a day one up riding. Not 500-700 miles with two people and all of their stuff. I guess when you eat an apple you could say it taste like an orange because they both grow on trees. I've ridden sport touring and they are fine but are will not work once the wife wants to go.

Originally Posted By: grampi

So you rode both?

Don't have to, there's no way the 107 will make as power as the Goldwing motor...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

^^^ Thank you !

and for that other guys post about "copying" others technology ya da ya da ... I wonder what companies copied the internal combustion engine? Still only one company making those??
Ha! and who copied having 2 valves, 4 valves, Fuel Injection, Carburetors, who copied the Electric light bulb!?!??! *LOL* best of all, Harley is the only company who seems to make it work and please $5000 to make a Rushmore Harley run fast, is a joke beyond anyones imagination. I guess that person feels the same with any heavy weight cruiser, expecting the performance of a Camaro out of a SUV and doesnt name the brands he is comparing, only Harleys name.

Now, unrelated but related to the OP. Clutch and Transmission performance is supposed to be just as silky smooth as the 107 engine.
Man you sure are defencive of Harleys new and inproved technology. Even if other mfgrs have moved onto better things. And yes people will spend $5000 on trying to make their mule get out of it's own way. That number will probably go up now the "NEW" motor needs more items worked on. So if Harley made a single cam for 15 years, went to a twin cam, then back to a single cam, which cup will the shell be under? Nothing revaluteionary there. And as far as the clutch and transmission performance, only time will tell. And if history tells us anything, Harley assembled the "new setup and will let the custumers test it to see if it holds up or if they will be repairing or replacing them. I think most people would want after paying how many thousands of dollars for a new Harley? a completely trouble free transmission you never have to think about. Thats why "never buy the first year it's made" are wise words to live by.,,

This week I had to drive to North Carolina and back. The first half of each leg I was like "This would be an awesome ride!" then by the last half I was like "[censored] I'm glad I'm in my car and not on a bike, I'm TIRED!!"

Maybe I'm getting old faster than I think...

Those are sport touring bikes. Good for a few hundred miles a day one up riding. Not 500-700 miles with two people and all of their stuff. I guess when you eat an apple you could say it taste like an orange because they both grow on trees. I've ridden sport touring and they are fine but are will not work once the wife wants to go.

Hmm, I guess the couple I ride with must be a mirage, then...considering that they do so on his Kawasaki Concours! Or the dude that put 160,000 miles on an ST1100 in 6 years? (He just did an Iron Butt 50CC on the replacement, an ST1300.)

Or the fact that EIGHT of the bikes in the top-ten all-time mileage list for the Iron Butt Rally are sport-tourers! (Two ST1300s, one FJR1300, one R1200GS, two K1100LTs, one R1150GS, one R1200RT, one VFR800.) The only one that is NOT s sport-tourer is one dude on a Wing. The record-holder for finishing the most IBRs and the most miles is one of the ST1300 riders. Both 7-time finishers ride sport-tourers. (A BMW and another ST1300.)

Hmm, I guess the couple I ride with must be a mirage, then...considering that they do so on his Kawasaki Concours! Or the dude that put 160,000 miles on an ST1100 in 6 years? (He just did an Iron Butt 50CC on the replacement, an ST1300.)

Or the fact that EIGHT of the bikes in the top-ten all-time mileage list for the Iron Butt Rally are sport-tourers! (Two ST1300s, one FJR1300, one R1200GS, two K1100LTs, one R1150GS, one R1200RT, one VFR800.) The only one that is NOT s sport-tourer is one dude on a Wing. The record-holder for finishing the most IBRs and the most miles is one of the ST1300 riders. Both 7-time finishers ride sport-tourers. (A BMW and another ST1300.)

Iron Butt Rally is a race. Most are single riders. Apples and oranges again.

No, the IBR is 10,000+ miles in a week. Dude, just give up: a big-bore sport tourer is, obviously, an EXCEPTIONAL long-distance bike!

The majority of folks who enter the Iron Butt Rally do the 1,000 or 1,500 miles in 24 hours version. They also have the 10,000 miles in 1 week and the 100,000 miles in a year, and a few others. There is a fine line between enjoyment and pain. No question the bikes can do it, but few riders can.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
The majority of folks who enter the Iron Butt Rally do the 1,000 or 1,500 miles in 24 hours version. They also have the 10,000 miles in 1 week and the 100,000 miles in a year, and a few others. There is a fine line between enjoyment and pain. No question the bikes can do it, but few riders can.

Well said. We did one years ago and there was only one sport touring bike. Mine I sold it and got a real touring bike.

No, the IBR is 10,000+ miles in a week. Dude, just give up: a big-bore sport tourer is, obviously, an EXCEPTIONAL long-distance bike!

Wrong again.

Wrong again.

You have now reached the point of covering your ears and hollering "LA LA LA LA LA!" like a 5 year old.

Who friggin cares how a some of your foreign bikes perform? How "technologically advanced" they are? What's with all you a-holes with little ***** and internet muscles that just gotta [censored] on someone else's parade?

I can tell you how "water cooled" bikes dump a lot of heat on the rider in summer. My buddy has an st1300 and he HATES the heat from that bike on a hot day. Prolly why I don't see many gold things in mid-summer. And his bike might be "technologically" advanced, but he sure cusses when he has to adjust his valves or do anything that requires him to remove all that plastic fairing [censored] just to get at what he needs too.

When other manufacturers sell the amount of heavyweight motorcycles in the USA that Harley does, then tell me about how great they are. Right now, and for many many years people have voted with their wallets.

Every bike has it's good and bad points. Ride what you want and let others do the same. If you just gotta jump on the internet to [censored] all over some else's choice of rides, you're an a-hole. Nuff said.

Last edited:

Wrong again.

You have now reached the point of covering your ears and hollering "LA LA LA LA LA!" like a 5 year old.

Must have learned it from you. When was the last time you rode 1,000 in 24 hours and what were you on?

Originally Posted By: blueglide88
Who friggin cares how a some of your foreign bikes perform? How "technologically advanced" they are? What's with all you a-holes with little ***** and internet muscles that just gotta [censored] on someone else's parade?

I can tell you how "water cooled" bikes dump a lot of heat on the rider in summer. My buddy has an st1300 and he HATES the heat from that bike on a hot day. Prolly why I don't see many gold things in mid-summer. And his bike might be "technologically" advanced, but he sure cusses when he has to adjust his valves or do anything that requires him to remove all that plastic fairing [censored] just to get at what he needs too.

When other manufacturers sell the amount of heavyweight motorcycles in the USA that Harley does, then tell me about how great they are. Right now, and for many many years people have voted with their wallets.

Every bike has it's good and bad points. Ride what you want and let others do the same. If you just gotta jump on the internet to [censored] all over some else's choice of rides, you're an a-hole. Nuff said.

Translation: " Murica !! "

I see scootertrash and paintchip hitched up the train of ignorance and pulled out of the station... probably on shinkos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back