why do Harley Davidson police bike handle low speed maneuver so well?

several things, low center of gravity, flywheel effect of engine is inline with the centerline of direction of forward travel, large amount of torque available at low speed and maybe the main reason is the design of the steering, where the rake and trail ( think of it as caster) of the steering geometry place the center of the steering pivot point ahead of the angle of the forks... this decreases rake and trail...

this is the front fork assembly off of one of my mid 90's Harley Baggers... you can clearly see the forks are behind the steering pivot point, which is one of main reasons these things can sit at a stoplight without moving and you can keep your balance without putting your feet down as well as turn around in a tight circle.

IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG

Last edited:
My neighbor was a motor cop for the local city and they ride Harleys, but he said the Kawasaki is much easier to maneuver. 🤷‍♂️
I love Harleys and I owned an FXRT, and also a couple of BMWs (K & Boxer). I’m barely 5’ 8” and the Beamers ride too high in the saddle for me. Anywho, those days are over and likely for the best, given my condition.

this one is about Harley Chrome... Harley makes some pretty good chrome plating... evidence is my old 95 Evo engine that spent most of its life outside and the last 4 years laying in the grass by my shed because I blew a hole in the bottom end and am too lazy to move it or take it apa
IMG_0293.JPG
rt and throw away the junk.

Yeah, it’s a specific Harley model that can do this, their other models are less nimble at slow speeds.

Generally speaking, big cruisers and tourers are made for long distance comfort and stability, not tight maneuvering at slow speeds.

However, once you move to normal, upright riding position, street motorcycles, they can be whipped around at slow speeds no problem.

Yeah, it’s a specific Harley model that can do this, their other models are less nimble at slow speeds.

Generally speaking, big cruisers and tourers are made for long distance comfort and stability, not tight maneuvering at slow speeds.

However, once you move to normal, upright riding position, street motorcycles, they can be whipped around at slow speeds no problem.

the specific Harley Model that can do this is any bike on the Electra Glide chassis, aka the bagger.. since the police biokes are baggers without the tourpack, they handle pretty well at low speeds. you can ride up a stairway one one of them, if your skill set is there.. anyway you wouldn't want to do a slalom on my FIL's old Softail Springer, that thing is only good at going in a straight line.

I ride a Kawasaki Voyager and in my opinion, it has the slow speed handling capabilities of a stretch limo. It is heavy 895 lbs, and different tires than what Harley uses. It has more of a sitting on top of the bike feel, then a sitting in the bike feel. On the highway, the Kaw is like riding your couch at 80 mph, but seems a bit weighty around town. That's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.,,,,

I ride a Kawasaki Voyager and in my opinion, it has the slow speed handling capabilities of a stretch limo. It is heavy 895 lbs, and different tires than what Harley uses. It has more of a sitting on top of the bike feel, then a sitting in the bike feel. On the highway, the Kaw is like riding your couch at 80 mph, but seems a bit weighty around town. That's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.,,,,
I agree... but that steering setup is one of the things that is unique about the Harley Davidson touring bike chassis that makes it feel lighter than it really is. other brands dont do this, that I am aware of.

I have not seen that triple tree setup on any motorcycle ever dealt with. Honestly, I’m surprised other big motorcycles don’t use it, especially the Japanese.

They were so good at copying the cruiser/tourer Harley style that the wouldn’t even include a center stand, like a Harley, but their other bikes of similar size would have them.

prolly has MORE to do with the skill + training of the RIDER + NOT the bike as i took a LONG time for hardly to put decent suspension + brakes on their bikes + considering their COST its LONG over due IMO!!

The cops are pretty good riders . I hung around with a Retired California Highway patrol bike cop and he certainly was quite the M/C rider.

I see threads like this all the time claiming that HDs are such great low speed handlers, but I'm just not buying that they're any better than any other big bike. The Gold Wing gets trashed all the time for being a poor slow speed handler, and yet I can slow to nearly a stop on mine for several seconds without taking my feet off the foot pegs. No bike has a center of gravity as low as that of the GW, which is why it's such a GOOD slow speed handler...the people saying it isn't just don't know how to ride one...

Back