2017 Harley Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: gman2304
'They certainly aren't sport bikes so I don't understand this obsession with cubic inches and hp/torque.'

^ Good point. My son has a CVO 110 Road King Screamin Eagle. I told him if a 600cc or bigger sport bike gets beside him at a traffic light...nod, then ignore him. If you mess with him, you'll just get your feelings hurt.

Tell him to just lean over and challenge it to an 600 mile day with a weekend of luggage for two...
wink.gif

Need a sport tourer for that...and, of course, many of those will mtch a sportbike in a drag race! (Offhand, a Concours 1400 will run 11-flat or better.)

A Kawasaki 600 Ninja weighs 428 lbs. A Harley RK weighs 814 lbs...a huge advantage.

Last edited:
Need a sport tourer for that...and, of course, many of those will mtch a sportbike in a drag race! (Offhand, a Concours 1400 will run 11-flat or better.)

^ A Kawasaki Ninja would destroy a Concours in the 1/4 mile.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
It having the same engine and half the weight...DUH!

The Concours engine is based on the first ZX-14 engine, which is 1352cc. The Concours version is also 1352cc, but detuned by approx. 35 peak rwhp from that. The Later ('12 and newer) ZX-14R is 1441cc, and in a higher state of tune than the original ZX-14 engine. It is approx. 60 peak rwhp up from the Concours peak rwhp.

The Concours is almost exactly 100 lbs heavier than the current ZX-14R. 690 lbs. to 590 lbs.

So what that equates to is the ZX-14R will cover the 1/4 mile about 1 second quicker and 20 mph faster, than the Concours. Assuming a skilled rider on both bikes.

RE: The liquid cooled heads.

The Milwaukee-Eight circulates oil or water (depending on model/application) around the spark plug area of the head. HD calls this precision cooling. The bikes with water cooled heads are called Twin-Cooled.

In some of the pictures around the web and in the Videos I have posted you can see the passages and tubing for the precision cooling. Its my understanding that the oil is pumped directly from the oil pump to the heads.

The water is much more effective than the oil, one of the articles gives percentages of additional cooling.

While the twin cam 103 had Twin Cooled versions, the heads were never "precision cooled" by oil.

Rossn2 - (liquid cooled heads)

Here are photos and a first description from a well known supplier of high performance products.

Without question, the new Harley 107 engine without water cooling does has oil cooling for the heads of the engine. Its what Harley calls "targeted" cooling. Its an air cooled engine but uses oil with the specific purpose of cooling certain parts of the head, I think right around the valves. It actually has oil lines outside of the engine running directly to the head of the engine.

Also NEW this year, Harley beefed up the oil cooler to a ten row cooler. I was going to buy an after market ten row but now will just wait and buy an OEM 10 row, assuming it will be easy to obtain and fit. If not, will go with a Jagg 10 row.

HERE IS THE LINK - Click
This is the link to the full story, scroll down and they actually took photos of what I described above.

Again, all this is new information and can change but there is no doubt Harley is now using oil in the non water cooled 107 engines to cool key parts of the heads.
Man, I think they knocked it out of the ballpark with this engine, time will tell. I KNOW I want one!

Last edited:
Alarmguy..just make sure you mount that OEM oil cooler up higher than how it's mounted on the 17's from the factory.
People already reporting damage to the oil cooler fins from rocks and stuff..
And, if you like the Harley BLIP BLIP when cracking the throttle you may want to hold off on the new engine..

Whats funny about this "New" motor is ,they have started using technology that other bike mfgrs have been using for years. Some have already stopped using it, but to some Harley invented 4 valve cylinder head and air/ oil/ water cooling.,,,

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Alarmguy..just make sure you mount that OEM oil cooler up higher than how it's mounted on the 17's from the factory.
People already reporting damage to the oil cooler fins from rocks and stuff..
And, if you like the Harley BLIP BLIP when cracking the throttle you may want to hold off on the new engine..

Not concerned, Harley has been mounting the 6 row oil cooler in the same place for a long time and since 2014 on all Rushmore bikes that are non water cooled. Also Jaggs 10 row aftermarket are mounted in the same place, as well as ultra cool. There well made sturdy units, however if one is concerned they could put a screen but I'm not concerned, failures few and far inbetween or it wouldn't be there. I do hope the new cooler will fit where my OEM 6 row is, it should, same place, same frame, if not will have to go to Jaggs or might do that anyway, haven't thought much about it with summer ending.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Whats funny about this "New" motor is ,they have started using technology that other bike mfgrs have been using for years. Some have already stopped using it, but to some Harley invented 4 valve cylinder head and air/ oil/ water cooling.,,,

When HD comes out with something new, it's generally only new to them. When they come out with a new model it makes national news. Maybe it's because the other makes are constantly coming out with new models and new technologies, so it's not a big deal....when Harley does it, it's like, Oh look, Harley's coming out of the dark ages...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

When HD comes out with something new, it's generally only new to them. When they come out with a new model it makes national news. Maybe it's because the other makes are constantly coming out with new models and new technologies, so it's not a big deal....when Harley does it, it's like, Oh look, Harley's coming out of the dark ages...

That's a laugh, like when Indian came out with the new touring bikes, all the rave about them with the press falling all over each other covering them and the new technology you speak of, the quiet shifting, torque .... And like yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda which just about pulled every large model 1600 cc and larger touring bike off the USA market?
Facts are facts, the new 107 engine, primary's and transmissions are going to blow away any remaining competition in this class, actually, there is none left except Polaris and this could turn the Indian brand into another money loser, like what happened with Victory.
Just speaking facts, I don't even care to reply to any replies to this since the thread is about the new HD engine and of course it's big news when the largest producer of the largest selling bikes in the United States, bar none, come out with a fantastic upgrade to an already good line. Hopefully it proves reliable as my 2014 Road King as new 2019 RK MIGHT be for me if they do. ( then again, I told my wife I am keeping this one a long time :eek:) ...)

Last edited:
You consider it a big deal when the largest producer of motorcycle in the US, copy's other mfgrs ideas and adapts them to their product years after the other's discontinued using that technology?. It really is a case of We can't think of anything else to try, so let's just do what they did. If they ever watercool the cylinders and heads ,while adding overhead cams, along with a motor you don't have to spend another $5,000 to give it some guts, they just might break the Internet.,,,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dr2152
Maybe Indian and Honda Gold Wing will go to 4 valve cylinder heads now.

^^^ Thank you !

and for that other guys post about "copying" others technology ya da ya da ... I wonder what companies copied the internal combustion engine? Still only one company making those??
Ha! and who copied having 2 valves, 4 valves, Fuel Injection, Carburetors, who copied the Electric light bulb!?!??! *LOL* best of all, Harley is the only company who seems to make it work and please $5000 to make a Rushmore Harley run fast, is a joke beyond anyones imagination. I guess that person feels the same with any heavy weight cruiser, expecting the performance of a Camaro out of a SUV and doesnt name the brands he is comparing, only Harleys name.

Now, unrelated but related to the OP. Clutch and Transmission performance is supposed to be just as silky smooth as the 107 engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back