2016 Mini Countryman S All4 - 5W-40 Hot Climate?

I live in Phoenix. It has been record breaking months of over 110 degrees. I am thinking of bumping up to 5w-40.

As long as it is LL01 I should be good? Something like the following?

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40
Amsoil European Motor Oil 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40

Thank you in advance.

I live in your neck of the woods and I’m running HPL 5W40 vs. the recommended 5W30 M1.
Today it’s 115°F. 🤷‍♂️

OMG, this is 100th post this week: it is hot.
Ambient temperature is not big culprit behind cooling issues. Altitude is.
Your cooling system maintains oil temperature! Oil doesn’t “know” is it hot or not.
If you do not track your car, stay with whatever you are using. Also, thicker oil means more resistance, which means more heat.
You can use by all mean 5W40 (I do) but you are shaking wrong tree.

OMG, this is 100th post this week: it is hot.
Ambient temperature is not big culprit behind cooling issues. Altitude is.
Your cooling system maintains oil temperature! Oil doesn’t “know” is it hot or not.
If you do not track your car, stay with whatever you are using. Also, thicker oil means more resistance, which means more heat.
You can use by all mean 5W40 (I do) but you are shaking wrong tree.
Are you all worked up and condescending with everyone or am I the lucky one? You obviously have what seems like a reasonable opinion to share, too bad it is unreasonable in the delivery.

Are you all worked up and condescending with everyone or am I the lucky one? You obviously have what seems like a reasonable opinion to share, too bad it is unreasonable in the delivery.
Bcs. if you just tried to find out on your own, you would get thousands of correct answers. Including those from last few days. Then we could have discussion about merits of those answers, opinions, arguments etc.
115f in Phoenix is less of an issue for an engine than 80f at Vail Pass in Colorado.

Yes, of course. Anything LL-01 (or LL-04 if obtainable).
BMW specs LL-04 for that B48 in Europe and perhaps
on some other markets. Except NA.
Don't expect too much of reduction in engine wear with
a 5W-40 compared to 5W-30 with the same approval.
LL04 will be fine with ULSG now.
He can run Mobil1 0W40 as it has now again LL01 and it is $25 for 5qt in Wal Mart.

Thank you for the kind response. Never heard of HPL, a fun rabbit hole for me :)
I didn’t know what it was either until I joined this forum. I forfeited my free GM oil changes, and switched over to Redline 5W20, and then after 55k, I switched over to Maxima RS530, and then settled on HPL. When I conversed with the HPL Rep, he recommended the 5W40 based on my particular use.
Welcome to the forum! 🙂

Last edited:
Bcs. if you just tried to find out on your own, you would get thousands of correct answers. Including those from last few days. Then we could have discussion about merits of those answers, opinions, arguments etc.
115f in Phoenix is less of an issue for an engine than 80f at Vail Pass in Colorado.
I hear you and I am interested. I may just not know what you know and maybe I could have been a little more clear as I was concerned about the valve seal issue in the Mini too. I would offer that coming in hot doesn't encourage a "discussion about merits... etc"

My local Wal Mart rarely carries it. It is mot as common as M1 0W40, so I didn’t mention. But yeah, I agree.
You can order it online for pick-up at your local Walmart. If you spend $35 (buy 2) they'll ship it free.

I hear you and I am interested. I may just not know what you know and maybe I could have been a little more clear as I was concerned about the valve seal issue in the Mini too. I would offer that coming in hot doesn't encourage a "discussion about merits... etc"
If you are that concerned, and you shouldn’t, better way to address this is to dilute coolant. You don’t need coolant to prevent freezing, you need it only to prevent rusting and lubricate pump. So, running 30% coolant concatrate instead of 50% will improve heat dissipation. B48 has heat exchanger (not sure about air oil cooler in Mini) and diluted coolant will do better job keeping oil temperature in check.
What is your oil temperature by the way?

valve seals in mini and some bmw models is an issue that comes from bad design engine.its not an oil thing issue.

Yes, of course. Anything LL-01 (or LL-04 if obtainable).
BMW specs LL-04 for that B48 in Europe and perhaps
on some other markets. Except NA.
Don't expect too much of reduction in engine wear with
a 5W-40 compared to 5W-30 with the same approval.
is LL04 more desirable than LL01?

G30 540ix

Back