2011 Accord 4 cylinder or V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have experience with both cars, albeit the previous generation. I have an '03 with the 2.4 and a 5 speed. I love it. It gets great gas mileage, is reasonably fun to drive and has had absolutely no problems after 110,000 miles. My wife's '07 has the 3.0 V-6 with the automatic. It's a rocket. I love the seat of the pants feel the larger engine provides. However, the gas mileage has been disappointing. The '07 also has had no service issues. In my case, I use the '03 to commute to work. I rarely have the opportunity to go faster than 60 mph or put my car through its paces. In other words, as much as I would love to have the V-6, I would never use the extra power. If your case is similar, I would get the 2.4; it's more practical, especially if gas prices rise above $5.00 per gallon this summer.

Originally Posted By: z917990
If your case is similar, I would get the 2.4; it's more practical, especially if gas prices rise above $5.00 per gallon this summer.

If I drive the Accord,it'll be lots of in town driving with very little highway. If my wife drives it,it'll be a 23 mile highway commute in rush hour traffic. Either way,I think we'll be looking at mileage on the lower end of the scale.

Still better than the 13-14 my Wrangler gets in town.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
If your case is similar, I would get the 2.4; it's more practical, especially if gas prices rise above $5.00 per gallon this summer.

If I drive the Accord,it'll be lots of in town driving with very little highway. If my wife drives it,it'll be a 23 mile highway commute in rush hour traffic. Either way,I think we'll be looking at mileage on the lower end of the scale.

Still better than the 13-14 my Wrangler gets in town.

I am surprised your Wrangler does so poorly. My pig (LR3 v8) gets over 16 in town and 20 on the highway. And no I do not baby it either.

I have experience with both cars, albeit the previous generation. I have an '03 with the 2.4 and a 5 speed. I love it. It gets great gas mileage, is reasonably fun to drive and has had absolutely no problems after 110,000 miles. My wife's '07 has the 3.0 V-6 with the automatic. It's a rocket. I love the seat of the pants feel the larger engine provides. However, the gas mileage has been disappointing. The '07 also has had no service issues. In my case, I use the '03 to commute to work. I rarely have the opportunity to go faster than 60 mph or put my car through its paces. In other words, as much as I would love to have the V-6, I would never use the extra power. If your case is similar, I would get the 2.4; it's more practical, especially if gas prices rise above $5.00 per gallon this summer.

+1

Originally Posted By: typ901

I am surprised your Wrangler does so poorly. My pig (LR3 v8) gets over 16 in town

Define "town". You certainly won't get that around a place like Chicago.
smile.gif

My 530i stick is lucky to get 16 in the city.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: typ901

I am surprised your Wrangler does so poorly. My pig (LR3 v8) gets over 16 in town

Define "town". You certainly won't get that around a place like Chicago.
smile.gif

My 530i stick is lucky to get 16 in the city.

That's why I did not say city! Town was used for a reason. I do Mundelein to Northbrook, and back. 20 miles= 35 minutes to 2 hours depending on weather and stupidity levels of other drivers. That nets me 16-18 if I take back roads all way or highway mix. M-B gets 24 in summer and now 20...

Last edited:
I have one more thought. If money is an issue (you seem to be concerned about gas mileage), have you considered a used Accord through the Honda Certified Used Car program? I understand that there are strict rules about these cars i.e. they cannot have been in an accident, etc. Both my '03 and '07 were certified; my wife and I saved a lot of money and they have been trouble free.

In addition, certified used car programs often give you a better warranty than new car purchases. I don't know the specifics about Honda's programs, but when I bought my CPO Corolla, it came with a 7 yr/100k mile powertrain warranty. That's 2 years and 40k miles longer than I'd have gotten with a NEW Corolla. And it only had 16k miles when I bought it...

I have one more thought. If money is an issue (you seem to be concerned about gas mileage), have you considered a used Accord through the Honda Certified Used Car program?

Money isn't really a concern,but it will be nice to have a vehicle that gets more than 15mpg (none of our current three do).

I did look at a couple certified used cars today. I wasn't aware of the extra warranty associated with them. The powertrain goes all the way out to 7 yrs/100k.

I drove the 190hp version of the 4 cylinder this morning. Like I figured,it felt like hot rod compared to my Jeep. I was impressed.

It had plenty of power for our needs.

The Accords are GREAT cars.
The only thing I would be concerned about is the Auto tranny V6.
They had a few probs in previous years.
I would hope they are corrected now, but never really heard anything.

6 months ago I was in the market for a used car for my mom.
I looked at several sedans, and I was dead set on a 05-07ish Accord.

I was on a used car lot and there sat a 07 Altima 2.5 4cyl.
I decided what the heck lets test drive it.
I did not want to like that car , but it is a much more fun car to drive than the Accords I had driven.

Good ride quality but still has great handling.
Awsome power for a 4 cyl, and I think the CVT trans deserves alot of the credit for the way the power is delievered in that car.
Most reivews have this car in the 7 sec range 0 to 60 with car and driver getting a 7.2 run.

Nissan really steped it up in 07 and newer Altimas,
Fit and finish is great.
I bought the car with 56k and its at 66k now , and I just cant get enough of it.
Cruise control with the CVT is awsome as well.

I felt the Accord might have less probs ,but since we have had great luck with the 4 Nissan trucks my dad ,and I have owned I decided to give it a try.

I definently incourage you to give them a look.

There were a significant number of problems with automatic transmissions that were mated to v-6s in '03 and '04 Accords. These problems have been rectified. The automatic transmission with the 4 cylinder never had problems. If you choose to purchase an Accord with an automatic, I suggest that you change the transmission fluid at least every 30,000 miles using genuine Honda ATF. I change my tranny fluid every two years, regardless of mileage. It is just easier to remember. Taste is a personal thing. I test drove an Altima with the CVT and I did not care for it. The trans reminded me too much of the Buick dynaflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back