2008 528xi / 535xi long term realiability ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Whether it's for the driving experience, status, need for AWD, or yet something else.

All of the above. And I wanted something other than Honda/Toyota(Acura/Lexus).
One other car I am considering is a new LaCrosse. Buick has reformed - its become a statement car - as in if you think its for retired people then well you're the one outdated/behind times. (and I am atleast a quarter century from retirement).

Comments about BMW awd v/s rwd experience - are those personal opinions ? or real experiences ? The potential of driving in snow 5-6 months really rules out the rwd.

Last edited:
Even if you get dedicated snow tires?
Other thing you can do it get a cheapo winter beater car...and drive the BMW when weather permits...

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow

Comments about BMW awd v/s rwd experience - are those personal opinions ? or real experiences ? The potential of driving in snow 5-6 months really rules out the rwd.

It depends how you drive. Drive them both in a spirited manner, and you'll probably notice a difference. In regular driving, it may not be very apparent.

As for necessity of AWD, I agree with 97tbird. My RWD does perfectly fine during winter with proper winter tires.

In that case, then best to go with a non-BMW. Getting a BMW AWD model sort of kills the best and most important aspect of the driving experience a car like BMW is meant/intended to provide. Not to mention the added weight and increase in cost/complexity if the AWD system ever needs repairs.

In my case I do have a winter beater with snow tires that i can put on for when it really snows, but I am hoping to get Conti DWS tires for my RWD BMW which will help in most light snow conditions in NC anyway, and so I will be able to switch to my beater only when it gets too tricky.

We don't even have a proper garage yet (planning to move soon to a house with one), and even so it's not a big deal to keep 2 sets of tires - I bought a tire storage tote (weather proof) and can keep my spare set in it, neatly stowed away in the little utility room in the back of the house. Very little space needed. It can even stay outside, if needed.

Your best bet looks like some other AWD car like Acura, where the differences between the AWD model and non-AWD model are not that apparent.

I would tell you to drive them. My wife has a 2008 X3 AWD and it drives pretty well, I really couldnt tell it is an SUV. Not sure if X drive is same as in my wifes car. Most crtics seem to bash the X3. She has sport pkg with sport seats and M steering and it is pretty nice. Her friend has the RDX and I not impressed with it. I would stay away from 535i as the HPFP are a Major concern. It seems that to me the leather in japaneese cars is more supple than the germans but it does wear well at all. I have friends that have a couple of acuras and their interior looks terrible. My wifes interior still looks brand new .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back