2 new tires. Put on front or rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Your opinion is wrong. It seems instinctively true but is specious. We are not talking about hot laps on a track in exotic performance cars, on which you base your arguments. We are talking about safety in the real world in which the threat is loss of stability.

Testing has shown that even professional drivers, on a track, who know the loss of traction is coming, will lose control of a car that hydroplanes at the rear. They are able to maintain control of a car that hydroplanes at the front.

A regular driver on the street will not do better.

So, put the good tires at the rear.

We cover this every two months at BITOG. Bottom line: what you think you know about traction, stability and tires is not true. Put new tires on the rear.

I am a professional driver. I never experience rear end aquaplane, either in FWD car or a RWD van or track. Even on motorways' with Autobahn speeds. In practice it simply doesn't happen in Europe. Maybe because we do not drive cars with chassis and RWD cars with rigid axles on leaf springs with 'all season ' tyres? Maybe we just drive slow? Who knows?
Maybe WE don't drive those cars any more either, for about the past 20 years.

Ford Mustang 2014 use a rigid rear axle. And all-season tyres.

New is supposed to go on the back to prevent over steer or the tail sliding out but personally if I really need traction(especially with winter coming up) I'd personally put them up front. I know this isn't the correct way but it's better than nothing especially if the old tires are worn.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Many people don't rotate their tires properly. If they did, they would be replacing all four tires instead of in pairs.

Some car manufacturers specifically advise against tire rotations.

I don't think there is an issue in these cases, then, as you MUST put the new tires on the same end you are removing them from to avoid going against the manufacturer's recommendation to not rotate. Out of curiosity, do these manufacturers also recommend replacing all 4 tires at the same time?

It's very simple really.
Everybody posting knows better than everybody else, excepting me, I know better than all of you, just as you all know better than me.
So put you new tires wherever you want.

But to avoid aquaplaning in the first place, which btw is the only reason tires have tread anyway, is to drive at a speed not exceeding the most worn tires ability to maintain grip.

Claud.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Claud
It's very simple really.
Everybody posting knows better than everybody else, excepting me, I know better than all of you, just as you all know better than me.
So put you new tires wherever you want.

But to avoid aquaplaning in the first place, which btw is the only reason tires have tread anyway, is to drive at a speed not exceeding the most worn tires ability to maintain grip.

Claud.

Well said Sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Pancake flat, arrow straight, South Texas roads are an anomaly. They aren't representative of the vast majority of roads in America...

Or Europe...

Driving a car with brand new front tires and rears purposely cut down to 4/32" is also an
anomaly. That doesn't qualify as a "test." All that test shows is that it would be time to get new tires again. Now had they compared new tires to say ones at 6/32 or 7/32 that might have been a more real world test for the 70-95% of the world that rotates their tires within a reasonable frequency.

I don't face this dilemma: where to mount two tires.

I rotate the tires as specified by the car manufacturer. (Front to rear only on the S600, for example). Because they wear evenly, I replace in sets of four. I replace at 4/32" because wet performance begins to degrade at 4/32". Safety trumps saving a few pennies, particularly since I'm not the sole operator of all the vehicles in my signature.

Last fall, I bought 4 Michelin AS3 for the S600, 4 General Altimax RT43 for the XC, and 4 Yokohama Avid Envigor (V rated) for the 300E...all in the same week. I spent more on tires that week than I've spent on the purchase of some of the cars I've owned over the years.

I prefer not to conduct testing on stability or handling using my family members. They get well-maintained, good cars, with good tires.

Discount Tire, along with every other tire shop, is trying to save the fools from themselves. If you want to experiment - have at it. Mount your own tires wherever you like...secure in the smug assurance of your own superior skills, superior European cars, or superior roads...or whatever it is that makes you think you're better than the rest of us...

Originally Posted By: chrisri

Ford Mustang 2014 use a rigid rear axle. And all-season tyres.

So what?

Your European cars are better than American cars? So the testing done by European manufacturers of cars and tires doesn't apply to you Europeans?

Looking at the cars I own, hmmm...yeah, I guess I don't know anything about European cars...or cars with independent rear suspension...cars with horsepower...

You are stuck on your superiority.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back