1993 Volvo 940 diagnostic help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help diagnosing a 93 Volvo 940 (2.3L 4 cylinder auto EFI).

Here's the prob.: over the past few months (give or take 6), the engine has died at idle at least three times. It's a pita to start it up again after it dies. Sometimes I have to wait 10 minutes before it starts up again.

While starting it, it sounds as though the starter has enough rpms to turn the engine over, but it's almost as though the car isn't getting enough fuel.

Changed fuel filter and had diagnostics done on the fuel system (pump), which seemed to be fine.

Tonight, after parking the car on a downhill angle (facing downhill), I went to start her up, and same symptom of cranking but no turn over.

I relieved the pressure via the schrader valve on the fuel rail...within 5 minutes the car started up again.

any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

no check engine light. I do remember smelling fuel, but since it's fuel injected, I didn't think that there would be a problem w/ flooding.

I was parked at an angle facing down hill...regardless the car didn't start after an hour of being parked.

It's running fine now, but I just want to avoid a next time.

where is the fuel relay on these cars?

The 240 has the same powerplant as our car (2.3L redblock)

Thanks!

I recall on my mother's '90 240 dl where she had a intermitent starting problem related to her fuel pump relay. Having bought the vehicle used, we later found out that someone tried wiring the relay for direct operation, bypassing the switch.
twak.gif

Do you recall smelling any gasoline fumes which might lead one to think of a flooding senerio?

Any codes from the DLC (data link communicator - the little black box of terminals and the pigtail wire)?

Good luck.

Older Volvos with the 'torpedo' fuses had fuel pump problems from bad fuse end connections.
Spinning them around, or using new ones fixed the problem in most cases.
It's the first thing we checked when there was a no start condition.

the 93s have the newer car fuses...not the torpedo suckers, but I know them well, too.

I checked the fused, nevertheless, and everything looks fine. Had the starting problem again last night...let it sit, then in 30 minutes it started up again like a top.

I'll be checking the wiring harness and the air filter box to see if everithing looks alright in there.

any other suggestions are more than appreciated.

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
no check engine light. I do remember smelling fuel, but since it's fuel injected, I didn't think that there would be a problem w/ flooding.

~SNIP~

When the fuel system was checked (fuel pump), were the fuel injectors checked? If any of them leak even slightly, you can wind up with flooding as the fuel pump attempts to pressurize for your start.

FWIW - On the '90 dl's the fuel pump relay is tucked up and behind the mat of the passenger foot well. I think it has a white housing and is rectangular - 2"x 2"x 1" or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back