how to lower hydrocarbons for emissions test ?

It must be the e85 causing a lean condition.
I already had 87 gas around 3 gallons existing and added in 1 gallon of 87 to mix with 3 gallons of e-85. This would equal a 1:1 ratio, but I don't know why the NO went crazy.

In simple terms, it means the ECU is ignoring the input from the oxygen and maf sensors and runs in the enriched mode, sort of like using a choke in the carburetor days. But that is bad for emissions.

Once the vehicle reaches certain operating temperature, the ECU switches to the “closed loop” mode where it reads the input from the oxygen and maf sensors and adjust the fuel/air mixture accordingly.
Basically, warm up the car? I spent 1 hour driving to get the cat and engine hot before my test.

I rested today with 3 gals of e85, 1 gal of 87 and failed due to NO gross polluter.View attachment 204900
Combustion chamber temperatures too high causing your high NOX reading.. Stop using the E85 and check that your EGR valve is working. If its vacuum operated, make sure vacuum is applied during cruising , you should never have EGR vacuum at idle.. Make sure the EGR passages are not blocked with carbon buildup by applying vacuum to the valve at idle to open it , the engine should die if the passages are clear and the valve itself is working.

what is the correct ratio amount then? It supposed to 30% e-85 max? then rest a full tank of 87 gas?
What worked for me and others is 2 gal e85 into 1/4 tank of fuel. Figure 15-18 gal average car tank size so your 30% is pretty close. I put 1 gal of regular fuel after the 2 gal of e85 to wash it down. Do not fill the tank until after the test. Too much and you raise NO to failure as you found out. Too little and will have a negligible effect on HC.

What worked for me and others is 2 gal e85 into 1/4 tank of fuel. Figure 15-18 gal average car tank size so your 30% is pretty close. I put 1 gal of regular fuel after the 2 gal of e85 to wash it down. Do not fill the tank until after the test. Too much and you raise NO to failure as you found out. Too little and will have a negligible effect on HC.
I added 3 gal of e85 into a 1/4 tank. the 1/4 tank already had 87 gas in it. I added another tank of 87 gas. My ratio was 1:1 for each gas, 87 gas, and e85. After this, I was around half full. My gas tank maxes at 17 gallons.

I would not mess with e85. Your car is not made for it and cannot adjust timing. You’re essentially guessing how much to add. Just because it worked for someone here at certain proportions, doesn’t mean it will work for you.

How much time and money, since you have to pay for each emission test, are you going to waste experimenting with e85 mixes?
Your car seems to need several things checked and diagnosed. I highly doubt a hack or mechanic in a can will solve your issue.

I added 3 gal of e85 into a 1/4 tank. the 1/4 tank already had 87 gas in it. I added another tank of 87 gas. My ratio was 1:1 for each gas, 87 gas, and e85. After this, I was around half full. My gas tank maxes at 17 gallons.
Well, in your case then you may be too far off for e85 to get you by. Looking at your #'s you failed HC and NOx at the same time. Not a good sign. Time to visit a mechanic unfortunately. You probably need a catalytic converter if no other issues are present. They don't last the life of the car in CA even if perfectly maintained. The tests are too strict.

Hondas are known to have gunked up EGR passages if your engine has it. Test the EGR valve with a Mityvac pump or get a length of CLEAN vacuum tubing, attach it to the valve after disconnecting the existing hose and suck on it, engine should stumble or stall with vacuum applied. If it doesn’t, you have a bad valve or clogged passages. AFAIK, there’s a plate or plugs you need to drill out to gain access to the passages. Clean them out with carb cleaner and a wire tool, then reinstall the plate or install new plugs.

You may just need a new cat due simply to the age of the car.

For what it’s worth… I’ve used denatured alcohol in a few cars that had issues passing emission testing and it worked for me. In my own experiences I would add 1/2 gallon or so to 1/4 tank of fuel, take the vehicle out and run it over 4000 rpm’s for an extended drive and then take it for testing.

I am the King of getting an oil-burning 95 Accord through dyno emissions. One center kicked me out for clogging their filters. That was towards the end of the car's life, it was unpassable by then. I think I still have the slip.

Fresh oil. Take the air filter out. Bottle of Guaranteed to Pass. Retard the distributor, it will get that exhaust HOT. These are some of the tricks. Bump the tires up to 50PSI to cut the rolling resistance down.

Last edited:
If only hydrocarbons are outside the test values, then it could be an issue of just getting it burned off. I would give it some beans on the highway, maybe stay in lower gear to bring the RPM high. Also make sure the vehicle was driven for at least 20-30 minutes before doing the test.
Parents had a vehicle fail because they drove it just 2 miles to the testing place, then it sat for probably 20 minutes. Truck probably had 20k on it. I told my mom to take it for a good drive then go back. Passed with flying colors.

Back