19 Subaru Impreza - CVT failed

I had a 2016 Acura ILX with a 8 speed dct transmission, The transmission in that car was terrible, From software updates to a new transmission i couldn’t wait until my lease was up to get away from Acura dct transmissions.

The transmission was replaced 10,000 miles of ownership, When coming to a full stop it felt like you were rear ended L.

Honestly I think the CVT in my 21 Outback is nice. However, I am conscious abuse should be avoided with the CVT. My goal is to change the fluid every 40-45k and just take care of the car. Compared to other designs like Nissan's belt driven I'm confident in Subarus design. People like to bash Subarus but hey take at look at GM's 8 speed and Ford 10 speed screw ups.
Yep, that's the plan with ours too. Shortly I'm getting the CVT fluid changed for a second time inside the 100k warranty to get an idea of how its doing, then we'll run it for as long as we can.
Once in a while I look at the wreckers price for a transmission and its still $1200-2500 and a RAV4 trans of a similar age is a 1/3 more, so you might assume the RAV4 transmission is more in demand?
I think ours will be fine unless my wife submerges the whole thing on one of her mushroom expeditions....

The 10 speed was a joint venture of Ford & Chevy. Took a few years to iron out that mess! Much of it was software related, at least that's what I read.
The 8 speed was a failure and ford is having extensive issues with their 10 speed right now. There a part called the outer shell that eats the clutch disks and trashes the transmission. GM also is having issues with a bearing sliding out and kabooming the transmission.

The 8 speed was a failure and ford is having extensive issues with their 10 speed right now. There a part called the outer shell that eats the clutch disks and trashes the transmission. GM also is having issues with a bearing sliding out and kabooming the transmission.

Thanks for the post. I have check that out. I was up on the 10R80 for the first few years when far too many had issues. "F-150 Forum" still has posts of issues but the scale has been rather small (not that it matters if it's your F150!) compared to the initial few years offerings. I can say I am very happy with the 6R80 in my 15 Lariat 5.0.

I had a 2018 Forester. They sent out a letter, and extended the warranty to 100,000 miles on the CVT, . Gave it to my Granddaughter, so I guess it it her problem now.. I did have a drain and refill at around 60,000 miles.

I recently rented a brand new C1500 with the 8 speed. It had 150 miles on it. I genuinely did not think the transmission was going to make it to 200 miles.

Bummer about the premature failure. Doesn't inspire confidence but hopefully the warranty replacement unit is better!

Do they have any software updates that might help the new one last longer?

Compared to other designs like Nissan's belt driven I'm confident in Subarus design
Its no doubt better than a Nissan belt, but calling it a chain when it simply gets squished between a tapered pully with no teeth - is a stretch. A chain rides on a sprocket with teeth, not a tapered pulley.

I had a cracked CVT cover on my '18 Legacy sport with ~47.5k miles. They replaced the cover along with some other stuff. They were just going to top off the fluid but since it took 30 days to repair, I talked them into a complete fluid replacement.

This is from mysubaru.com. Not the full paperwork.
CVT TORQ CONV RELEARN AFTER BATTERY DISCONNECT; CVT LINE PRESSURE TESTING; CVT INPUT SHAFT O RING/CONVERTER SEAL R&R; CVT OIL PUMP CHAIN COVER, RESEAL; CVT TRANSMISSION R&R

I have maybe 21k on my 19 Impreza Sport. Hopefully it will be ok.

What dealer are you using? You in NJ? Paul Miller?

Only 20K miles on it, I really doubt this has anything to do with abuse or some inherent problem with this CVT. Manufacturing defect or odd failed part maybe? I'd really like to know the details from Subaru, but that will never happen.

I owned two Subaru CVTs, first was a 2012 Legacy, second was a 2016 Forester. I wasn't easy on either and preferred them over the 5MT I had in my 2014 Crosstrek.

No reason to hate on Subaru? Have they given you a reason why this cvt was short lived?
TorqueNews.com said:
(Avoid) Any year Nissan Q, Maxima, Altima, Rogue, Sentra models from 2006-2010 that came with the CVT transmission. “These transmissions are absolutely 100% intolerant of any skipped maintenance” says the host adding that the oil and filter MUST be changed regularly every 30-40K miles or they are guaranteed to fail…even though they are advertised as “sealed for life” transmissions never needing any maintenance! One fun fact from the Car Wizard is that “No one rebuilds these transmissions.” Instead, it’s a $7,000-8,000 replacement in your vehicle.

Curiously, they don’t call out any Subaru models like they do Nissans for “avoid at all costs”.

It's metallic, it has links. It's a chain.
This is the Nissan "belt". Its metal. It has links. Guess its a chain also?

1706143650328.jpg

I get why it's called a belt. There's a metal band to which you attach each of the metal elements. And it pushes on the secondary pulley, not pulls like the other style.
Nissan actually calls it a chain now too :ROFLMAO:

If you have ever worked on an old car or old riding lawn mower, you understand what a belt is. If you ever rode a bicycle you understand what a chain drive is. The only one's confused are these OEM marketing departments.

Not saying the Subaru isn't a better chain/belt/whatever - but I stand by my statement that calling it a chain is a stretch - for both of them.

FWIW - aren't many problems with the Nissan CVT's since there re-design in 2017 either - contrary to popular belief. Everything fails eventually.

Back