10-150ft*lbs torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some feedback here guys. Want to pick up a torque wrench to use it both for plugs during fluid changes as well as on the lug nuts. My civic is rated at 80ft*lbs, Pilot at 92. With that said, 10-80ft*lbs wrench is good for plug/civic nut lugs but no so good for pilot. Bigger wrench 20-150 ft*lbs would cover all three applications but it is also 4' loner with total length of 18". Has anyone used these big of the wrenches for tightening up drain plugs? was it ok or way to big? I'm a little concerned regarding the space limitations since I don't have an access to the lift and the car would either be on the ramps of jacked up sitting on the stands. thanks guys

Truth is you need more than one tool. Whatever you buy look at split beam types, they do not need to be set low when stored and maintain their accuracy much longer.
My advice would be to buy the one you will get the most use of first.

I can barely justify spending 40$ for a click type wrench and you're talking about 200$+ split beam hahaha

But seriously, I appreciate the feedback sir. I agree, ideally I would need at least two. Although I'm not in position to spend much $ on them due to 0% ROI. That's why I'm seeking for anyone else's experience to see if I can get by with just one of a bigger size.

Cheers

Get a 3/8” HF and a 1/2” HF and together, they will cover your needs for under $40.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Get a 3/8” HF and a 1/2” HF and together, they will cover your needs for under $40.

I would want a 1/2 for wheels and suspension and 3/8 for everything else.

Please somebody notify moderators! TheCritic's account has been hijacked. There is no way on God's earth he will ever recommend HF product.

Don't forget that most torque wrenches are most accurate in the MIDDLE of their stated range.

So a 10-80 is not really good for your civic because you'll have it at max when you torque down those wheels.

Do it right and get two wrenches as others have said. I have seen a couple people strip spark plugs by trying to use a 1/2 torque wrench and could not feel the "click" at such a low torque setting.

I bought a split beam 1/2" 150# torque wrench at Menards the other day. $6.99 Now I have a 1/4" 3/8" and a 1/2" HF to go with it. I'm a cheap bastid.

So, the operating range of the wrench I'm referring to is 10-150 ft*lbs. Most of the drain plugs on both of my cars are at 30-35ft*lbs which puts the wrench at 20% of it's max capability. Do you think it will have issues "clicking off" at that relatively low setting? I don't think it will and my concern mainly was the size of the bigger wrench and space constraints when working underneath the car sitting on the stands.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
... Do you think it will have issues "clicking off" at that relatively low setting? I don't think it will and my concern mainly was the size of the bigger wrench and space constraints when working underneath the car sitting on the stands.
Beam torque wrenches are linear and don't have to "click off." Nobody but yourself can test the space issue for you.

I would love to do that but cast on my foot and crutches are slightly holding me back..

I would do 2 HF torque wrenches. For the home mechanic, they are just right.
Just for conversation, say the 1/2" is off a little at 80 pound/feet.
Your Honda wheels will be happy, because they will all be torqued evenly.

All good.
For full disclosure, I have:
1/4" HF
3/8" Snap-On flex head
1/2" Forget the name but it is a good one
1/2" Bonny real high torque monster

Over the years, my old 1/2" whatchacallit has seen a lotta fasteners.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Please somebody notify moderators! TheCritic's account has been hijacked. There is no way on God's earth he will ever recommend HF product.

Hah, I seriously laughed out loud on that one!

I do agree with TheCritic's recommendation on the HF's. I have a 3/8 for plastic oil filter housings and a 1/2 for wheels. They are good enough for that atleast. Would I build an engine with them? Probably not, but on something not as critical why not?

Clickers are definitely the way to go for wheels. Imagine trying to look at a beam type or dial type while torquing wheels.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: Vikas

Hah, I seriously laughed out loud on that one!

I do agree with TheCritic's recommendation on the HF's. I have a 3/8 for plastic oil filter housings and a 1/2 for wheels. They are good enough for that at least. Would I build an engine with them? Probably not, but on something not as critical why not?

There is no better snob born than our esteemed The Critic when it comes to owning name brand tools! His recommending HF is absolutely out of his character. You could search prior HF topics and he had been fieriest of their critic as long HF had been in business.

I might have wrote the reply as a joke but the sentiment behind was real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back