Best Torque wrench for engine work?

So I think I'm ready for an upgrade from the Harbor Freight(pittsburgh) torque wrenches. Recently did a vvti gear job and ended up snapping a cam bolt! Went and replaced the torque wrench and all was well after I walked the snapped bolt out. I think after that I will not be using Pittsburgh for any kind of engine work.

I do intend to rebuild an engine from the ground up at some point, so something that can handle more than just camshafts would be ideal.

I'm torn between beam, split beam, click and digital wrenches
I'd like to know which specific brand is reliable, because I've heard different things across the board.
I'm looking for precision between the 5 ft-lbs to 100 ft lbs range, ideally one tool to get the job done and done accurately.

My budget is looking like $150 more or less.
Thanks guys.

I'm looking for precision between the 5 ft-lbs to 100 ft lbs range, ideally one tool to get the job done and done accurately.

My budget is looking like $150 more or less.
Thanks guys.
Realistically, not possible. You will need 3 torque wrenches in order to accurately cover 5-100 ft-lbs.

1/4" = 3/8" = 20 ft-80 ft-lbs
1/2" = >80 ft-lbs

In general, torque wrenches are only accurate for 20-100% of their advertised range.

Realistically, not possible. You will need 3 torque wrenches in order to accurately cover 5-100 ft-lbs.

1/4" = 3/8" = 20 ft-80 ft-lbs
1/2" = >80 ft-lbs

In general, torque wrenches are only accurate for 20-100% of their advertised range
Fair enough, which set of torque wrenches would you opt for then?

This is going to be one of those cases where I'm probably going to build up over time.

Fair enough, which set of torque wrenches would you opt for then?

This is going to be one of those cases where I'm probably going to build up over time.
Will your work require the usage of angle torque? If so, you are pretty much limited to electronic.

Will your work require the usage of angle torque? If so, you are pretty much limited to electronic.
Maybe in the 3/8 flavor, I doubt I would be doing TTY bolts with a 1/4. I work mostly on toyota and honda sedans.

I have had really good luck with tools from eBay. My Armstrong and CDI tools are all used from eBay and they were inexpensive and able to be calibrated with no issues.

Maybe in the 3/8 flavor, I doubt I would be doing TTY bolts with a 1/4. I work mostly on toyota and honda sedans.
eclatorq was making the HF ones, which is the same vendor a MAC/Proto. Not saying that they make the same level of quality for all customers, but the stuff is generally decent.

I would look into the Quinn Digital Torque Wrenches from HF for 3/8 and for 1/4, get a normal micrometer style torque wrench from Precision Instruments or CDI. For the 1/2", split beam unless you plan to be doing head bolts. If you plan on doing head bolts, get the Quinn 1/2" since all of them require angle.

Gearwrench 3/8 Electronic. I bought it to do the rod bearings on my BMW. Torque angle worked great. At $175 it's hard to beat.

GEARWRENCH 3/8" Flex Head Electronic Torque Wrench with Angle, 10-100 ft/lbs.
https://a.co/d/1Q9yaUI

Pittsburgh 1/4 drive tested very close, and trust it. Any clicker wrench will go bad if you leave it set especially at a high setting.

I have a micrometer style Snap-On in/lb, don’t remember the max torque. I believe it is 400in/ lbs, a Precision Instruments 20-100ft/lb 3/8” drive double beam, and a 1/2” Snap-On double beam 50-250 ft/lb. I prefer mechanical torque wrenches because batteries can be a PITA. You can get mechanical torque angle indicators from a number of suppliers so I never concerned myself with that too much. I bought the Snap-On wrenches off E-Bay and the the Precision Instrument wrench directly from the manufacturer. All of them are good quality.

Back