07 mini cooper s - long oci, possible sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some engines may have build up on the oil filler cap, but this does not mean the inside is slugged up.

Originally Posted By: milaut
Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'd stop with MMO and wouldn't use autorx.

Shorten things down to a 5000 mile OCI with the M1 or the synpower or the redline, it doesn't have to be a witch's brew of them. Let things clean themselves up.

1/2 quart in 1000 miles isn't ideal, but how sure are you that it was right on the full mark after the change? MMO has a lot of volatile distillates which will burn off relatively quickly (ideally cleaning the PCV system though I'm not very optimistic about how this would work) so it's not surprising you're back down.

i've heard good things about m1 0w40 and 1qt of redline mix. both are acea a3 rated. at about 800 miles, it was half way on the dipstick. 16oz of mmo brought it to full. 400 miles later, it was half again. i did top off w/ mobil1 0w40. i'll stop using mmo.

Don't add more oil until it's down to the "low" mark.

Originally Posted By: 05foresterXT

What's the logic behind this?

Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut
dude! no wonder hyundai backlashed w/ the 3K mile severe, 4.8K mile normal OCI (and basically mandating a good synthetic by saying 5W40 would add performance)! 15K on regular oil in a turboed DI motor! I freak oooouuuttt when I see/smell mine at 3.7K mile changes, lol!

stop smelling your oil--- then you wont freak out

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

The level indicated on the dipstick can fluctuate depending on how recently the engine was run, outside temperature, where it is parked, etc.

I discovered that if I park my car on the right side of my street, it reads a half a quart low. On the left side of the street, it reads half a quart high. One day when the car was parked on the right side of the street, I checked the oil, and freaked out and topped it off. Then when I took the car out to drive it, I noticed blue clouds of smoke when I would get on the throttle. Something was suddenly wrong with my car, and it seemed to have a severe consumption problem. I would put in oil until it reached the "full" mark on the dipstick, then I would burn oil and top it off.

Then one day I parked my car and checked the oil, and let it sit, and checked the oil multiple times, and I discovered that at first, it would read a quart low. After about 15 minutes, it was full. 2 hours later, it was at the notch above the "full" mark. It was then that I realized that all the oil my car was consuming was because I was constantly adding oil. I looked in my owner's manual, and it said not to top it off until it was at the "low" mark, and also not to add more than half a quart at a time. Since I have stopped topping off habitually, my oil consumption has dropped to maybe a half of what it was before.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

The level indicated on the dipstick can fluctuate depending on how recently the engine was run, outside temperature, where it is parked, etc.

I discovered that if I park my car on the right side of my street, it reads a half a quart low. On the left side of the street, it reads half a quart high. One day when the car was parked on the right side of the street, I checked the oil, and freaked out and topped it off. Then when I took the car out to drive it, I noticed blue clouds of smoke when I would get on the throttle. Something was suddenly wrong with my car, and it seemed to have a severe consumption problem. I would put in oil until it reached the "full" mark on the dipstick, then I would burn oil and top it off.

Then one day I parked my car and checked the oil, and let it sit, and checked the oil multiple times, and I discovered that at first, it would read a quart low. After about 15 minutes, it was full. 2 hours later, it was at the notch above the "full" mark. It was then that I realized that all the oil my car was consuming was because I was constantly adding oil. I looked in my owner's manual, and it said not to top it off until it was at the "low" mark, and also not to add more than half a quart at a time. Since I have stopped topping off habitually, my oil consumption has dropped to maybe a half of what it was before.

I see. You were getting messed up by the crown of the road. If you would have started on a flat, level surface and checked it after letting it set overnight, which is more or less the preferred method, you wouldn't have had these issues.

But still, your point remains valid for someone who cannot. If the oil level is between the low and high point, then you are considered okay for continued use.

It's not just the crowning. It's the fact that on a hot shutdown, most engines will hold a good amount of the oil in the cylinder heads and various channels. It takes some time for it to trickle into the sump. Also, the level and the amount of oil are not quite the same thing. Oil shrinks when it gets cold, so your level could be low on a very cold morning, but you still may have enough oil. As long as there *is* oil on your dipstick, you should be ok, and not need to add it.

changed the oil out last weekend. the filter looked fine. no chunks or sludge to report. ended using 3.5qt of mobil1 0w40 and 1qt of redline 10w30. i will run this for 5k oci. got castrol edge 5w40 for a good price, so will use that for the next oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back