Long OCI

I have a good amount of confidence in both of my oil life monitors. I have done UOAs with my Corvette that show the OLM is actually a bit conservative and the oil can go longer. Had the same experiences with the oil life monitors in my two previous Corvettes. And even though I haven't done a UOA on my current Civic, I have done it on my previous one and I know that engine was easy on oil and not subject to sludge even with longer intervals. And the 2.0 engine in my current Civic is very similar in design to that 1.8 in my 2006 model. I drive my Civic quite gently (and it rewards me with a 45MPG overall average) so I see no reason why 10k intervals would be a problem.

What is the point of going long on the OCI? Oil is still cheap as far as maintenance is concerned. I get it if it’s a lease vehicle. Follow mfg. if you own it, and plan on keeping it for 300k, it’s just not worth it especially with DI, turbo charged, and thin viscosity. You can say it’s a waste, but used oil is recycled and used for lots of things. 2 are cleaned and resold, and the second it’s turned into fuel oil, for ships, and home heating. I change both of my DI vehicles back to every 3k oci. I prefer the engines to always have the viscosity that it’s supposed to be vs diluted with fuel. The cost of doing UOA, I can change it for cheaper. Cost of OCI. $28 M1 0/40 and $10 for filter. Also doing OCI, the car is getting a vehicle inspection and be able to spot unseen issues. Both vehicles see 3k miles every 90 days or so.

Oil is cheap, but it adds up and most importantly, the changes are unnecessary.

In 100k miles you would spend $1250 on OCIs. I will spend $380.

There will be no difference in how the engines run.

Back