Anybody heard of Krex Graphite engine lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my first oil change on our Toyota Sienna this morning at the dealer where I bought it from. They are offering a 200,000 mile engine warranty if the car is serviced there. But the warranty is contingent on them dumping something called Krex Graphite Lubricant in with my oil. They claim it is a lubricant and not an additive. What the he111 is this stuff? Anyone heard or had any experience with it?

I told them not to put it in. I'd rather not have the warranty than have them put something that has snakeoil written all over it? Thoughts?

BTW, I put maxlife synthetic in for the first oil change at 4,600 miles.

I remember some of my buddys using oil with a graphite additive back in the late 70s. I don't know what their experience with it was except that this oil was black going INTO the crankcase! They were miffed that the new oil looked like the oil you're supposed to drain out!!

I don't like additives or so called lubicants that you ADD to your oil, but hey 200,000 mile warranty, why not?

After a brief web search, it appears that Krex is who is offering this warranty! So basically, Krex entices dealers to get their customers to use this product by offering some warranty. This in turn, helps the dealer to sell cars because they can advertise this warranty while making sales pitches. What I need to know is if this product and warranty is legit or whether there is an easy way for Krex to weasel out of the warranty.

Here is the product:

Graphite Engine Lubricant

The advanced automotive engine runs hot and tight. Tough demands are made on lubricants. Conventional automotive oils cannot withstand the intense heat and pressure generated, breaking down at temperatures as low as 350°F. Yet, automotive engines reach temperatures as high as 1,250°F. Only graph- ite can continue lubrication at these temperatures and beyond (up to 5,000°F).

Krex® Graphite Engine Lubricant is a superior automotive lubricant (NOT an additive), supplementing the regular engine oil. Krex Graphite Engine lubricant is a colloidal dispersion of billions of microscopic particles of graphite that enhance the effectiveness of motor oil. When added to the crankcase of an engine, Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant works with the motor oil to reduce friction. The results are less wear and tear on the engine's vital moving parts such as pistons, bearing, valve stems, and lifters. In addition, there is a noticeable reduction in energy consumption which results in an imy, as well as load carrying capabilities.

Benefits

Modifies friction
Protects engine parts
Lubricates metal surfaces
Improves oil seal, reducing blow-by
Protects engine parts in the “heat zone”
Penetrates areas oil cannot reach
Helps keep engine parts free of gum & carbon
Keeps oil from thickening
Improves compression
Increases power output and RPM
Helps increase fuel economy

Here is the warranty:

00,000 Warranty

Protection for Your Engine... The Most Important Component of Your New Vehicle*

This Warranty guarantees the lubricated parts of your new vehicle's* engine for up to 200,000 miles or 10 years, whichever occurs first. To maintain this warranty, simply return to your dealership for oil changes at recommended service intervals. See 200,000 Warranty for terms and conditions.

* A new vehicle is defined as having no more than 24,000 miles registered on the odometer at the time of the initial installation of Krex? Graphite Engine Lubricant, and has been in-service less than 24 months from the manufacturer's original in-service date. Subject to the terms and conditions of the Krex 200,000 Mile Limited Lubrication Warranty.

This product has been around since the 40's and can only be purchased at dealers, I think. I personally do not see any need to put this product in a new car, expecially when you are using an oil that is loaded with moly. It does turn your oil NASTY black.

Thanks Johnny! That's helpful info. Now I gotta track down those "terms and conditions".

Krex is a product that lubricates your credit card. Some of your money will slip right out. If you have an agreement like this that requires you use that product and come back for your oil changes to keep it in force, they should you not get a screaming deal on the oil change. After all you are exposing yourself to that dealer's maintenance department on a regular basis, something that they otherwise might spend some advertising dollars on, to accomplish the same thing.

My son (18) is currently driving a 1987 Cadillac Seville. His grandmother (wife's mom) gave it to him last year when she bought a new car. At that time, it had only ~55,000 miles on it (no typo, fifty-five thousand)! She had all the dealer service invoices back to when she bought it as a demo in 1988. In virtually all of them, it indicates Krex was added. The car is well varnished (at least what you can see in the oil filler) but runs beautifully.

I don't know if the Krex helped anything, but it certainly didn't hurt either.

We use krex at the dealership I work for and it offers a road hazzard warranty for tires with your oil change. If you get a flat you just call the number on the oil change sticker on the window and they will send help for you and they pay for the repair or a new tire up to 100 bucks.

Quote:

Helps keep engine parts free of gum & carbon

pat2.gif
whistle.gif

So it's just a marketing plan. For what the product may or may not do there is a bigger plan in place. They are selling service and this stuff in a bottle is just the entry into your wallet. This stuff might as well be 30 weight engine oil.

Does anyone remember the fiasco with ARCO graphite oil back in the 80's. I don't know if this graphite additive is an inprovement over ARCO's oil, so please correct me if i'm wrong. But I seem to remember some of the problems that occured down the line with the ARCO oil down the line. I just don't remember the particulars well enough after all this time to make an informed correlation.

Maybe someone could clarify the problem with the old ARCO oil. Thank you.

I remember the Arco graphite oil too!!!

At the time I was just getting into cars and when I saw the actual oil I was aghast!! No way I'd put that sh it in my car.

I do remember a lot of people trying it out but I don't remember if it made the cars using it run any better or if there was a fiasco after it hit the market.

It quietly faded into obscurity just as fast as it made a name for itself.

I wonder what a UOA of that stuff would look like. Cheers!

If it walks like a duck (snake oil) and quacks like a duck (snake oil), it is probably a duck (snake oil).

I'm absolutely amazed at what dealers get sold to them. In some ways dealers are extremely resistant to sales as they know all the techniques to close a sale, and yet they buy into something like this.

I'd bet those warranty "terms and conditions" has more holes than a Swiss cheese, and would need at least five Chinese lawyers to interpret.

in fairness to my dealer though, I have to say they were very quick, efficient and cheap and the service advisor was very cool. He seemed kinda embarrassed about the stuff and told me that he was personally against it. He made sure that the price for the Krex was taken off my bill even though I didn't know there was a charge. So he could have easily scammed me, but didn't.

quote, "I have to say they were very quick, efficient and cheap and the service advisor was very cool. He seemed kinda embarrassed about the stuff and told me that he was personally against it. He made sure that the price for the Krex was taken off my bill even though I didn't know there was a charge. So he could have easily scammed me, but didn't. " end quote

Not so fast letting the dealer off. The charged for useless Krex without telling the owner and removed the charge when the owner caught the scam. Owner did not know there was a charge until discussing on a forum. Dishonest scamming dealer. That is why dealers are called stealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back