Which oils have Infinium Tri-nuclear moly / advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new 2013 Honda Accord 2 months ago.

It seems most users believe Honda's like a very low viscosity 0w20 formulation with high moly content. Picking one is not so easy, since 150 ppm of the new Tri-nuclear type moly is much more effective then the older type of moly where 600+ ppm could be found in some oils.

Does anyone know which of the major oils use the new tri-nuclear moly?

I'm running PP currently because that's what the oil change place put in. I have AMSOIL SS 0w20 on hand, but it's not API approved.

Also, since I'm in Canada, I need to be able to find the product here.

I believe AMSOIL is a great product as well. That's why I purchased a case. It has more moly then most, it's somewhere around 150 ppm.
I have free oil changes at the dealership for the life of the Vehicle, but I know they are using bulk oil for these changes. I was planning on asking them to put in the AMSOIL SS 0W20 with an AMSOIL EA15K filter until I noticed the lack of the API doughnut on the label. Now I'm considering buying the Mazda full syn with extra moly in it until after the warranty, and then switch to the amsoil later.

Any comments are Welcome.

I don't know the answer to your question but I believe that any
name brand 0w20 (Mobil1, PP, QSUD, Valvoline Synpower etc...) changed at appropriate intervals will make your Honda's engine last until you're tired of driving it.
I would be more concerned with maintaining it's A/T.

Originally Posted By: IT_Prof

I have free oil changes at the dealership for the life of the Vehicle, but I know they are using bulk oil for these changes.

Unless you're shooting for a million miles, I really don't see the advantage wear wise (or cost advantage)to not just get the free oil changes. If you like doing it yourself just use the oil you currently have. I thought some of the current forms of moly don't even show in a VOA so judging which oil has the most based on ppm is moot.?

Originally Posted By: msmoke00

I have free oil changes at the dealership for the life of the Vehicle, but I know they are using bulk oil for these changes.

I really don't see the advantage wear wise (or cost advantage)to not just get the free oil changes.

+1

Nobody really knows although most believe it is in Mobil's top offerings. Anything beyond that is likely wishful thinking. JMO.

It seems most users believe Honda's like a very low viscosity 0w20 formulation with high moly content. Picking one is not so easy, since 150 ppm of the new Tri-nuclear type moly is much more effective then the older type of moly where 600+ ppm could be found in some oils.

I'm running PP currently because that's what the oil change place put in. I have AMSOIL SS 0w20 on hand, but it's not API approved.

Look for ENEOS Sustina 0W-20. It is rated API-SN/RC ILSAC GF-5 and uses the tri-nuclear moly.

thumbsup2.gif

I believe AMSOIL is a great product as well. That's why I purchased a case. It has more moly then most, it's somewhere around 150 ppm.
I have free oil changes at the dealership for the life of the Vehicle, but I know they are using bulk oil for these changes. I was planning on asking them to put in the AMSOIL SS 0W20 with an AMSOIL EA15K filter until I noticed the lack of the API doughnut on the label. Now I'm considering buying the Mazda full syn with extra moly in it until after the warranty, and then switch to the amsoil later.

Any comments are Welcome.

Do you know what brand of oil your dealership is using?

I'd bet money that Mobil 1 isn't the only product using trinuclear moly... let's look at some evidence:

1) Infineum is a joint venture between ExxonMobil and Shell. I'd have to assume Shell would have the same access to all Infineum technology as ExxonMobil.
2) Infineum sells additives to companies other than ExxonMobil and Shell.
3) Trinuclear moly is effective at levels above 40 ppm (or so), and the effects taper off somewhere between 100 and 200 ppm so that there is no additional benefit. This based on some Infineum powerpoint presentations that have been circulating here. Most other types of moly are most effective in the 200-800 ppm range.
4) LOTS of motor oil manufacturers are using Moly at 50-75 ppm these days.

I can't assume that all oils with under 100 ppm moly are using trinuclear - but I'd sure bet there is more than one company using it.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

Look for ENEOS Sustina 0W-20. It is rated API-SN/RC ILSAC GF-5 and uses the tri-nuclear moly.

thumbsup2.gif

Sustina is like $13 a qt.

There was a thread about this last week. May want to search for it. It said there that not all M1 oil has tri-nuke but 0W-40 does.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

thumbsup2.gif

Sustina is like $13 a qt.

Maybe in the great white north, but in the lower 48 it can be had for ~$11.00/qt.

Great responses.

Chubbs1 - Mobile 1 and Mobil 1 EP are significantly more money for me here in Canada than most other oils. My Amsoil Signature Series is $3.00 less than M1.

Tudorart - I'm still considering the Toyota oil, it will depend on price in the end.

pbm - I don't trust CVT's to be long lasting yet. I have a 6 speed MT, and I'm averaging 7 liters/100km, or 33.6 mpg us - 40.3 mpg in Canada which is better than I expected for a mid sized car.

msmoke00 - I do very high mileage, my 2003 accord had 425,000 km on it when I gave it to my son. It needs about 3/4 litre of oil between changes now, but still runs fine. Since I totally abused that car with extra long oil changes and low maint, I'm wondering now what would have happened had I taken care of it, so I'm pampering this 2013.

milkboy - If I knew what the bulk oil this dealer was using was, then perhaps I'd know if I could trust it for these 12,000 km oil change intervals. going with a long lasting high VI synthetic with a high TBN and low wear levels is what I'm after.

gaijinnv - Any idea where I could even buy the ENEOS Sustina at in Canada?

asharris7 - How many miles have you run the AMSOIL for? I Currently after 3200 km's on this Accord and I have no oil use as far as I can tell. I want to keep it that way as long as possible. How much oil do you go through / after how many miles?

Thanks for everyone else's comments as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back