NAPA Gold air filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having trouble finding a local place that had air filter and cabin air filter in stock for my 2012 Elantra. Ended up ordering NAPA Gold air filter and cabin filter online. Any opinions on quality of NAPA air filters?

Used to use only these exclusively but for air filters companies like FRAM are actually fairly good. I have a FRAM in my car right now (air) but still no FRAM oil filters.

Use any Napa Gold product with confidence. I certainly do.

I used Motorcraft air filters for the first 65K or so of my FX4's life and then switched to NAPA Gold. The NAPA filters seems to fit the airbox much better than the MC ones did and the quality of the filter is top notch. I saw a reduction in silicon levels (from 19/20 to 11/12); more monitoring to follow of course, but I would say that NAPA filters are excellent for the price.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I used Motorcraft air filters for the first 65K or so of my FX4's life and then switched to NAPA Gold. The NAPA filters seems to fit the airbox much better than the MC ones did and the quality of the filter is top notch. I saw a reduction in silicon levels (from 19/20 to 11/12); more monitoring to follow of course, but I would say that NAPA filters are excellent for the price.

The NAPA Gold air filters are made by Wix. Motorcraft air filters are made by the Dana Corporation (parent company of Wix) and are essentially the same filter. However, I have also seen where Motorcraft has supplied out some applications to Fram but built to the same Ford specifications. It is interesting that Ford pulled all the Fram built Motorcraft air filters for the 2004 - 2007 F150s and replaced them with Dana, but there are still Fram built filters in the inventory. Dana built filters have dark brown media while Fram are a light yellow. Both seem like good quality filters manufactured in Mexico. I was impressed with the Fram quality of the filter and packaging (sealed in plastic bag). Both manufacturers claim 98.5% efficiency per Motorcraft specification.

Has anyone taken any pics to show the diffs between the MC and Wix/Napa Gold air filters. I'm really not lazy but I almost never go into Napa stores now that the two near me have closed. Even if it was just a pic of the Wix... I have a MC in my stash. But wait, you guys have the new style filter and mine is the older style. I forget the year when they upgraded the housing... '06???

Napa Gold / Wix / CarQuest Blue are all I use for air filter's anymore (even in my mower). They've always been well constructed for me.

I have heard of fitment issues in some models, but that's probably the case for every brand in some applications.

Jim,

Wix and O'reillys has pics on their sites.
Wix 46804

Motorcraft FA1754

I have seen booth side by side and they appear to be the same. But I have seen a Fram (lighter colored media) side by side with the Fram built Motorcraft and they are identical. Ordering the Motorcraft has been a [censored]-shoot as to which you'll get.

Originally Posted By: modularv8
Jim,

Wix and O'reillys has pics on their sites.
Wix 46804

Motorcraft FA1754

I have seen booth side by side and they appear to be the same. But I have seen a Fram (lighter colored media) side by side with the Fram built Motorcraft and they are identical. Ordering the Motorcraft has been a [censored]-shoot as to which you'll get.

None of the MC filters that I have used (all have been purchased at the Ford dealer) have the coloring of the filters shown here. The MC filters have been light colored (manila) whereas the NAPA filters are a golden brown. Although Dana may make both, the NAPA filters definitely fit the airbox on my FX4 better than the MC filters did. Time will tell, but there has been (thus far) a noticeable drop in silicon on my UOAs.

Thanks.
I have an AEM drop-in replacement in mine anyway and my SI dropped from 19 to 2 in about 7K miles. I was just curious why one would fit so much better than another

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Thanks.
I have an AEM drop-in replacement in mine anyway and my SI dropped from 19 to 2 in about 7K miles. I was just curious why one would fit so much better than another

PS...all of the MC filters that I have used have been made in the USA (forgot to check the NAPA).

Dana has not owned Wix for along time, Affinia Corp. owns Wix, Raybestos and other old Dana brand as Dana no longer makes filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back