What do I do with MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen Marvel Mystery Oil mentioned numerous times here, so I grabbed some at NAPA.

What do I do with it? (The wife will have it on the frying pan)

It says add some to oil and gas but how much and how often? I have an oil change coming for two rigs soon.

Depends on what you're wanting to accomplish. You can add it to oil, gas, do a piston soak, fog for mosquitoes, etc.

Most, if they use it, mix it 20 to 25% in there oil about 1k miles before the oil change. Others mix it with the fuel for a conditioner at about 2oz per ten gallons. You should be able to peel the label back and the instructions are in there.

Actually, recommended dosage is 4oz to 10 gal for MMO. Adjust for your car. 2/10 is a ratio for 2 stoke ashless oil, IIRC.

go check out the website, there is lots of great info, many, many testimonials...some people using it in transmissions too!!

Is it really safe to use a quart of MMO in the crankcase? I've always been surprised that people do this. And yet if you put 3 ounces of Sea Foam in there, people call you an idiot.

gas: 2-4 oz per gallon of fuel, best added "before" you pump the fuel so it can be mixed properly as the fuel enters your tank. What I've done is sort of recognized at what hash marks each quantity is...I.E.: I have a 14~ gallon tank, even once it hits the very last hash mark, and I fuel up, I still end up only fueling say a little over 10 gallons into the tank, when the pump hits the auto shut off.

Oil: 20-25% of the motor oil concentration. Simply put? If the engine takes 5 qts, substitute 1 qt of oil for Marvel Mystery Oil. So you'd add 1 qt MMO, 4 qts motor oil (preferably in that order, same reasoning as the gas method, for "proper mixing") hehe. If the vehicle takes less than 5 qts, keep it simple and use a pint (half-a-quart) of MMO, the rest motor oil.

Power Steering: Add up to 16 oz. of MMO to the power steering reservoir to be used as a gentle cleaner, or temporary "top off" oil....it's said that most PS fluid on the market is simply "light petroleum distillate" anyways, which is exactly what MMO is, with some added detergency....so you replenish the lubricity and also get the cleaning agents in there too.

Transmission: Up to 16 oz (1 pint) of MMO thru the ATF dipstick, obviously do not "over fill" the ATF.......again, it's light oil with detergent elements works to clean up the fluid, clutch plates, etc....within the transmission. Works particularly great before a fluid change so I hear...

BTW, many will say to use MMO "x miles before an oil change" - you can abide by this if you wish, but Marvel themselves has been tried and tested for many years, and is safe to be used in a petroleum oiled system for ~3k miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.....so I would ignore those comments. As I've noticed, particularly when used in the crankcase, I believe much of the MMO "burns off" after it accomplishes it's goal of "cleaning up" the carbon/varnish deposits, and that's why I've noticed my oil level slightly drop particularly after my first, second OCI of MMO in the crankcase. MMO is a "gentle" cleanser, it's not a "flush" or "shock treatment" by any means, and takes "time" and patience to do it's work, so IMHO, running it for "x miles before an OCI" isn't using it to it's full advantage. IMHO, it's best used with a "fresh" batch of motor oil, that has plenty of anti-wear properties left in the oil - but I too have used MMO as a "top off" oil in a pinch, when I noticed my dipstick level was low, and had no other motor oil on hand. The big emphasis is the 20-25% concentration. You don't want more than 25% MMO in the oil system (whether it be the crankcase, PS, or ATF....) since it is only equivalent to a "5 weight" oil...

Ironically, I've found that after my first MMO application, my dipstick level was about a half quart low on the dipstick after about a month......my thinking is that perhaps some of the MMO "burns off" or at perhaps "soaks into" the seals, making them more pliable, in attempt to re-seat them, etc....Other than that, my 88 Aries, uses about 1 qt in a 5000 mile OCI....with conventional motor oil that is...

MMO in the gas tank will lube the fuel pump and injectors and it is a very mild fuel injector cleaner. It is a pretty good upper cylinder lubricant and can help restore lost compression by providing a tighter piston ring seal. It can improve a rough idle. MMO can also help offset the negative effects of ethanol by helping restore some of the lubricity that is lost in ethanol-infused gasoline. You have to use it for a while though to see any results. It's not a one-time use magic cure-all.

You can use MMO in your oil, up to 20% of the oil capacity can be replaced with MMO. A couple of times I have added a pint to my oil about 1000 miles before an oil change. It is a mild cleaner in the crank case and can help quiet a noisy engine. Not everyone advocates the use of MMO in oil though.

MMO in the fuel can also improve MPG, but it doesn't happen for everyone. You have to try it for a while and see how your car reacts. Most who try MMO do get positive results from it. It's a good product.

Originally Posted By: coopns
I have seen Marvel Mystery Oil mentioned numerous times here, so I grabbed some at NAPA.

What do I do with it? (The wife will have it on the frying pan)

It says add some to oil and gas but how much and how often? I have an oil change coming for two rigs soon.

Just do not store it in the fridge. I stored Goop in the fridge and my roommate used it when cooking his hamburger!

I used MMO up to 25% mixed with the crankcase oil in my Saturn and am currently using it in a 2001 RX300 at 20% as a gently cleaner of that sludge prone engine.

Originally Posted By: glum
Is it really safe to use a quart of MMO in the crankcase?
yes. 1 quart of MMO, to 4 quarts of Motor Oil, that is, for a 5 qt. capacity crankcase. If the vehicle takes less than 5 qts, I go the idiot-proof way, and just use 1 pint (essentially, half a quart).
I've always been surprised that people do this.
Marvel Mystery Oil has been tried and tested since what, the 1930s? I've not heard of any engines blown up after the addition of MMO
smile.gif
And I'm sure the guys got it down to a scient, as far as what concentration can "safely" be used without causing detrimental effects to the oiled system; bottom line, MMO "is" an oil, a light weight oil at that, if one were that paranoid of substituting a quart of MMO per a quart of motor oil, one could always go "up" in oil weight, at least for that one "MMO cleaning phase".....
And yet if you put 3 ounces of Sea Foam in there, people call you an idiot.
yet again, people not trusting the manufacturers of these products....Seafoam themselves state that it can be safely used in the crankcase at 1.5 oz. per quart of oil....so, say in a typical 5 quart engine, you can safely add 7.5 oz. of MMO to the crankcase, either "post" OCI (that being, into the fresh oil) or "pre" OCI (that being, into used oil, _before_ your next scheduled OCI).

As marvel outlines usage requirements, so does Seafoam, they state to not go longer than 3000 miles or 3 months with the Seafoam in the oil.....

But personally, as my MMO experience, I'm willing to bet the Seafoam is likely "burned off" after about a good 30 minute run....just enough time to re-liquify carbon/sludge deposits, where it can be suspended in the motor oil, and then either:
a) deposited into the filter to be removed at next filter change, or
b) removed at the drain pan upon next OCI...

Basically, they work by reliquifying carbon/varnish that has been severly gunked up, so it can be drained out of the engine at the next service.

It's not "loosening huge chunks of sludge" as some may believe....but actually "re liquifying" the carbon/sludge build up.....I think Seafoam and MMO get the "bad rep" of the "Motor Flushes of Past" that were prone to clogging oil valleys, oil pickup pumps.

The only one "myth" of "olde" I could still understand would be the clogged oil filter scenario.....if the engine was "severely" neglected (sludged up....) I could understand the oil filter becoming so plugged up, that the filter goes into bypass mode, in essense, throwing back all the trapped debris back into the engine...

If you were in one of those instances of a possible sludge monster or neglected vehicle, to that I'd say change out the oil filter every 1.5k (mid-OCI)....no need to re-add MMO/Seafoam, as the oil will still be "fresh" so by then I'd imagine most of the "problem" would have been came clean with the MMO or Seafoam.

I have used MMO for a few things: A passable air tool oil, as an assembly lube for dipping piston/ring assemblies, and lubing cylinder bores before installing pistons.

Not going to dump it in my gas tank, not going to put it in my oil.

I think its a mystery why people use MMO. There are better products for every task mentioned. The ONLY place I feel MMO is the right product to use is to let it soak into the cylinders of a marine engine when you have gotten water into the cylinders.

In the Oil - The MMO forums and IIRC, MMO recommends a minimum level of 10% up to 25% in oil. So for a 5 quart capacity that would be a pint to a quart of MMO.

Originally Posted By: ahoier

It's not "loosening huge chunks of sludge" as some may believe....

I can only remember one person on this board (C3PO/Pontiac Fan), who advocates that that result is possible, and I'm not even sure that he truly believes it. But apparently his propaganda has been effective, unfortunately.

Seeing as how it's mostly kerosene Use accordingly . If you have an old abused car it might work to free the engine up but I wouldn't put in any decent engine . If you want a fuel injection cleaner there are some good ones available .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back