How should I deal with this rust on the underside of my older F-150

walterjay

Site Donor 2023
The underside is rusting badly. I would like to scrape it clean and put some type of coating or rust retarder on it. Also I have seen products that convert rust to something non rusting. How do you recommend that I deal with this. BTW 06 F-150
IMG_0616.jpg

How long do you plan to keep? I mean, it has taken what, 18 years to this point, if you are only a couple years from being done, spray some Fluid Film on to slow down, and ignore.

Honestly, it is going to be hard to deal with the rust inside those rails. Painting the outside won’t stop the rust you can’t see.

I would use Corroseal and the overcoat of your choice, then Fluidfilm or similar for inside the channels. Alternatively, you could try spraying the Corroseal inside of the channels if you think you can get them clean, otherwise, the oil coating of your choice. The Rustoleum product is good, just used some on some chips and scuffs in the wheel wells of the old BMW, but for heavier rust I prefer the Corroseal.

Spray it down with fluid film, woolwax, etc. And get a flexible wand to spray the inside of the channels too. Won't fix rust, but definitely works to stop it from getting worse.

Sorry to see that. No perforstion, just ugly it seems.

Some say neee scalers aren’t any good. Others seem to think they are. I’d use something. Needle scaler seems to be a good option because it can be pretty exactly placed, vs abrasive discs that will aggressively remove paint in its path.

After that, apply ospho. Keep it wet for hours.

Then get the latest Eastwood rust encapsulation paint. It’s plenty fine for this. Sand lightly and spray multiple coats. Since nobody will ever see it I suspect you could brush too and it may actually be a better coat thickness.

Get some color matched single stage auto spray paint and top coat the Eastwood to roughly match.

After all that is done, oil or lanolin spray the thing.

Sorry to see that. No perforstion, just ugly it seems.

Some say neee scalers aren’t any good. Others seem to think they are. I’d use something. Needle scaler seems to be a good option because it can be pretty exactly placed, vs abrasive discs that will aggressively remove paint in its path.

After that, apply ospho. Keep it wet for hours.

Then get the latest Eastwood rust encapsulation paint. It’s plenty fine for this. Sand lightly and spray multiple coats. Since nobody will ever see it I suspect you could brush too and it may actually be a better coat thickness.

Get some color matched single stage auto spray paint and top coat the Eastwood to roughly match.

After all that is done, oil or lanolin spray the thing.
That is alot of work. IMO not much better than just spraying it with FF or similar.
considering the inside of the rails

That is alot of work. IMO not much better than just spraying it with FF or similar.
considering the inside of the rails
It’s really not a lot of work. We all know FF washes away from exposed surfaces. Rust encapsulation has been proven to stop rust. Given the severity of the exposed surface I’d want something tougher than FF on there to limit exposure.

Given that it’s blind on the inside, and my long term experience indicates that FF holds up well in protected locations, I agree that’s a good option once the exposed surfaces are dealt with.

A rust converter followed by oil spray of your choice would be my approach. If the truck was really important, I wouldn't hesitate using a professional service like Krown or NH Oil, developing a relationship with the applicator ($) to ensure a thorough job.

The middle right rail looks to be paper thin:
1710633360127.jpeg

Back