Honda jumping on the 0w-20 wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
2qx9cux.jpg

From the 2010 CRV owners manual. Interesting. I wonder who will be next, and how soon we'll see more and perhaps even some conventional (or just grp 3 marketed under conventional label) 0w-20's.

ha, they really reaching for that mpg mark. I think they are feeling the pressure from American Automakers who are starting to produce more fuel efficient vehicles.

0-30 M1 green cap here.. . I think my K20Z3 motor likes it but I have a sample I'm sending off to Blackstone labs so we will see.. .

IMO, the K24 motor probably runs most of the same tollerances as my high reving K20, the CRV doesn't run the high lift cams so I bet you wont see the sister TSX motor going down to a 20 weight anytime soon. camshaft wear would probably be an issue but then again, these motors run on 3 different cam shaft lobes.. .

Originally Posted By: 6spdkeg
IMO, the K24 motor probably runs most of the same tollerances as my high reving K20, the CRV doesn't run the high lift cams so I bet you wont see the sister TSX motor going down to a 20 weight anytime soon. camshaft wear would probably be an issue but then again, these motors run on 3 different cam shaft lobes.. .

2009 and newer TSX use 5w-20.

From this thread's title:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Honda jumping on the 0w-20 wagon

Perhaps I'm missing something. But I don't understand the title of this thread topic. My 2000 Honda Insight specs 0w-20 and its a 10 year old car. Honda isn't jumping on the wagon, they built the wagon.

Until now the only 0W20 that you can find at local auto parts chain stores such as Kragen, Autozone ... and Walmart is Mobil 1. Also, 0W20 is available in synthetic only and cost more than twice conventional 5W20. How do they expect CRV owners to pay high price for an oil change at dealers ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
. How do they expect CRV owners to pay high price for an oil change at dealers ?

The maintenance minder system on these cars will take it to 6-7000 miles before needing a change. Most owners of these cars still take it in for an oil change every 3000 miles and ignore the MMS. I have customer regularly come in with 50-60% left on their system and still want the oil changed ever when I explain it to them.

So the extra cost shouldn't be a problem (although it will). They don't understand it will cost them the same in the long run.

A few RDX owners didnt want to use synthetic either, but I had to show them the TSB we got from our head office.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
. How do they expect CRV owners to pay high price for an oil change at dealers ?

The maintenance minder system on these cars will take it to 6-7000 miles before needing a change. Most owners of these cars still take it in for an oil change every 3000 miles and ignore the MMS. I have customer regularly come in with 50-60% left on their system and still want the oil changed ever when I explain it to them.

So the extra cost shouldn't be a problem (although it will). They don't understand it will cost them the same in the long run.

A few RDX owners didnt want to use synthetic either, but I had to show them the TSB we got from our head office.

The newest ones seem to be going a bit longer. For example, my friend who has a 2009 FIT is going about 10k in-between each service. I remember that the 4-cyl Hondas from a few years ago were going about 5-6k between services on average. Of course it varies by driving conditions, but it general it seems like the newest ones are going a bit longer.

Also, 0W20 is available in synthetic only

Ding ding ding. They want you to use syn bc of longer OCI's.

The oil companies (Pennzoil, you hear me), better get their 0W20 oils on the shelves soon. This is the wave of the future, and Mobil 1 is right there to meet the demand.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
The oil companies (Pennzoil, you hear me), better get their 0W20 oils on the shelves soon. This is the wave of the future, and Mobil 1 is right there to meet the demand.

AD

As usual.

My 09 Honda Civic Hybrid is spec'd for 0w20, can't find it locally here, had to order Amsoil 0w20, Expensive oil changes, although the Maintenance Minder is at 40% and I am at 8500kms so I am guessing 11k kms on each oil change, so not to bad. I order a bunch of the 0w20 so i am good for a cpl years on oil changes.

Last edited:
I was in my Wal Mart today and not a single 5 gallon jug of 0W-20 anywhere. The had tons of 0w-30, even the Mobil 1 quarts were sold out. They did have plenty of PP 5W-20.

Mobil 1 5w-20 came out in 1974.

They also made the first available 0w-20 in 2001.

I wonder what the spec's looked like for the 5W20 in 1974. I would be curious to see that.

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 5w-20 came out in 1974.

They also made the first available 0w-20 in 2001.

Don't know about the specs on this old 5W20, but they said it was good for a one year or 25,000 mile OCI. They also said it was the equivalent of 10W40 in dino oil. I don't remember when they came out with the 10W30, but I took them at their word and used M1 up until I retired in 2001, usually an 18,000 to 20,000 OCI. Never had an oil related problem. I went back to dino for a few years as I was not putting nearly as many miles on my car after retirement. Lately, my yearly mileage has increased to about 10,000, so I have changed back to M1. I am using M1 10W30 High Mileage formula

all you looking for 0-20 and not finding it... just go with 0-30. Aint no thang.. . the engine parts don't have any closer tollerances to need 0-20.

I'm going to get under my desk for this comment, but maybe Honda has actually did a test saying, the gas mileage savings outweighs the amount of damage and or the amount of failures we will see in XXX,XXX miles on average so the use is to our benefit, aftermarket parts wise and initial SALES.

their motors are usually pretty solid and most of the older Vtec motors mainly used oil b/c lower ring lands would crack/deform for whatever reasons(high stroke to rod rations/high piston velocities) and bad engine wear with cold starts/running/neglect. I've also suspected the motor's threw to much oil onto the cylinder walls washing them out requiring the rings to do a heavy job and leave room for deformation at high RPMS and pitting b/c of a few factors.

The new K series motors have better pistons which can take huge amounts of boost and power. Peeps can run 350whp all day long on a K20 if tuned right. Some guys have been going upwards of 450whp on stock blocks. just nuts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

The newest ones seem to be going a bit longer. For example, my friend who has a 2009 FIT is going about 10k in-between each service. I remember that the 4-cyl Hondas from a few years ago were going about 5-6k between services on average. Of course it varies by driving conditions, but it general it seems like the newest ones are going a bit longer.

Yep. If you recall, I had a thread not a week and a half ago where I mentioned I was changing the oil in my Fit with 8,300 miles and still 30% left on the MM system. My only concern with the k24 engines would be that mine in my CRV (and several others, anecdotally) can burn a bit of oil. Perhaps that's been remedied by now, but I've seen as much as a qt consumption over a few thousand miles. If these new V owners don't pop their hoods, they could be in for a big surprise.

Truth about the 09 Fit's OLM. My fiancee's Fit has gone over 5k miles on PYB 5w-20. OLM still says 60%. It'll be around a 8-10k OCI when all is said and done.

BTW, some Honda dealers are selling Honda-branded 5w-20 for under $3 a quart. I'm tempted to order a case for laughter and bragging rights that it's all Honda, down to the motor oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back