Home

Something to think about.....

Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 12:11 AM

Here is my thought for the day.... Don't get so wrapped up in making money and working that you forget to live and enjoy life.
Posted By: jhellwig

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 12:31 AM

Very true.

I am fed up with the morons I work with so I have adopted that philosophy. Cuts my paycheck way down but meh.
Posted By: Prune_Juice

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Here is my thought for the day.... Don't get so wrapped up in making money and working that you forget to live and enjoy life.

approved

Working too hard really does take years off your life.
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 01:04 AM

I agree.
Posted By: Al

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 01:24 AM

I bet you just finished a couple of brewskies;)
Couple of beers gets me feeling the same way Cheers2
Posted By: xshoex

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 01:25 AM

I got asked to work this past Saturday and Sunday (overtime and double time). Said nope, miss out on basically another check , but get to go to movies amd keep my sanity.
Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Al
I bet you just finished a couple of brewskies;)
Couple of beers gets me feeling the same way Cheers2

No I don't like drinking, makes me feel sick.
Posted By: aquariuscsm

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 01:43 AM

Amen!! Because life is short and time flies by way too fast frown
Posted By: Trav

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 02:04 AM

We already have a class of people who live like that, they live and enjoy life and get their welfare check every month.
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 02:24 AM

LOL,
does coming home from dinner with the family on Friday night then pumping out briefing papers (due Monday, advised 2PM Friday), 2-1/2 hours phone and emails on Sunday, and a day off with my wife with another 2-1/2 hours of interuptions Monday count as balance ?

Not much choice in the matter if you want to get paid.
Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 02:28 AM

Good-do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Better-Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work.

Best-A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.
Posted By: double vanos

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 03:16 AM

After loosing one friend to liver cancer at 65 yrs of age,and another to brain cancer at 62, and having way too many co-workers work until they died, I retired from the port of Houston at 62 and a half. If I had stayed on until 65 I would another $300k in wages made. Tell that to my friend who died of liver cancer....
Posted By: surfstar

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 03:20 AM

*ahem* [censored] work

Cheers1

Think about roughly 8 hrs of sleep, 8 hrs of work (rounded down, not including lunch, commute, etc, but also saying 7 days/week)

=

2/3 of your adult life gone. frown
Posted By: Rolla07

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Trav

We already have a class of people who live like that, they live and enjoy life and get their welfare check every month.

I think its a delicate balance. You do need to take time to enjoy life and time with friends and family. I feel today we dont have enough time off. Does you good to take a break and just relax.
Posted By: JHZR2

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 06:57 AM

Its absolutely important to value family and friends. And to not be such a workaholic that you let that slip away.

Ditto for your health. In many ways its easier to forget about health than family.

But hard work allows you to have the flexibility and means to support your family well, pay for the good and memorable times, and ensure lower stress (in many situations, job dependent).

Its all a balance. I like the concept of work hard, play hard.
Posted By: Rick in PA

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 09:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Good-do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life....

I'll agree with Pop on this one.

I see some that just drag through work, a part of me pitys them, a part of me doesn't understand them. My father (who was full of down-to-earth wisdom) use to say "You have to do a good day's work to get a good night's sleep". I guess I had a good dose of luck and a dash of skill to end up on the road I did, most days I enjoy going to work. Today, I'm looking forward to finishing a fixture that will help produce a product and in it's place provide opportunity for others to live a good life. To me, work is an integral part of life.

I'll agree with the OP on the total focus on making money. That is a bad road. It usually ends up poorly for someone.

Choose your ruts carefully...
Posted By: bradepb

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 10:35 AM

When I was younger with a wife and three kids at home, I worked tons of extra hours. Now I only work about 10 months a year 40 hours a week. That's all that is available at the same job now and I don't mind.
I have friends and relatives in the auto industry that work every day 10-12 hours with 2 days off a month. Yes, they are pretty well off but that is no life really.

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 11:43 AM

We all need a job to pay bills.

I never liked a person willing to put their job first... putting kids and wife second. Some chase a job title to satisfy their pathetic ego and be a slave to their career.

I agree that more money equals better retirement and less stress down the road, but after a certain point the extra $$$ is meaningless.
Posted By: Duffyjr

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 11:44 AM

Most people "live to work", I prefer to "work to live".
Posted By: hatt

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 12:02 PM

Those people aren't enjoying life. They're miserable, and broke. Welfare is only enough to keep you poor. Just enough to keep you from doing anything for yourself. Not enough to have a quality lifestyle. Very well thought out plan to preserve the permanent underclass.
Posted By: supton

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 12:05 PM

When I was younger I wanted to work hard for the rest of my life. Now that I'm older I don't think that way anymore... It's probably because I went into engineering instead of carpentry/farming/anything that can be easily and quickly measured.

I very much would like to be done with the rat-race but not for the purpose of sitting around watching TV.
Posted By: grampi

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 12:06 PM

Some of us actually do it the right way...we work until we have reached an age and a financial status to where we can afford to retire...at least that's how I'm doing it anyway...

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 12:07 PM

Most people work like crazy to buy a bunch of junk that does nothing for their happiness. Cars and houses being good examples. That 3500 sq ft house isn't going to make you happy. Sally and John has a 3900 sq ft, and a maid. Back to work.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/10/buy-experiences/381132/

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

I think its a delicate balance. You do need to take time to enjoy life and time with friends and family. I feel today we dont have enough time off. Does you good to take a break and just relax.

The people who work usually spend too much time at work, and those who don't work need to work...too bad we couldn't find a happy medium for both...

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 12:47 PM

Quote from Hatt's link.

"Over the past decade, an abundance of psychology research has shown that experiences bring people more happiness than do possessions."

That is not surprising at all.
Posted By: doitmyself

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/24/16 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Quote from Hatt's link.

"Over the past decade, an abundance of psychology research has shown that experiences bring people more happiness than do possessions."

That is not surprising at all.

Ironic. I just enjoyed an old Western on TV last night and noted crusty old cowboy Robert Duvall's advice to his young companion:

Adding to the work hard recommendations, it goes farther when combined with working smart. Often there is a difference.

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/25/16 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: hatt

Those people aren't enjoying life. They're miserable, and broke. Welfare is only enough to keep you poor. Just enough to keep you from doing anything for yourself. Not enough to have a quality lifestyle. Very well thought out plan to preserve the permanent underclass.

Not here, they are happy campers. Mass even gives them free cars with insurance, gas, taxes paid, a maintenance allowance and AAA.
Free rent, health care, Obama phone, free internet and cable, free electric, heat, food and some cash. Illegals are welcome. They sell drugs for extra pocket money out of the local dive. Sure they are miserable. LOL

https://www.ihatethemedia.com/massachusetts-free-cars-for-poor
Posted By: daves87rs

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/25/16 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: hatt

Not here, they are happy campers. Mass even gives them free cars with insurance, gas, taxes paid, a maintenance allowance and AAA.
Free rent, health care, Obama phone, free internet and cable, free electric, heat, food and some cash. Illegals are welcome. They sell drugs for extra pocket money out of the local dive. Sure they are miserable. LOL

Thought they killed that program already...

Free cars...just crazy. Can't be decent ones though....

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/25/16 05:44 AM

Its not an official state program anymore but its still done through other program channels.
The cars are better than most low wage workers are driving.
Years ago there was a article in the Herald that showed signs in Puerto Rico telling people Mass was the best place in the USA to get welfare, that's a fact.

If your a minority, an illegal, drug hound, white trash with loads of kids its a friggin free for all.
The real estate and other taxes are through the roof, the infrastructure is shot to Hades, landlord rights exist only on paper in reality they dont exist at all and to top all that off they brought in loads of illegals last year every one of them on the public cow.

The truth is the working people are the ones that are friggin miserable not the freeloaders.
Posted By: Jarlaxle

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/25/16 10:37 AM

So...why do I work for a living again?

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/25/16 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
So...why do I work for a living again?

Somebody has to support all of the free-loaders...

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/25/16 12:24 PM

Maybe. Wild animals in the zoo have a lot of perks too. They probably aren't as happy as the ones in the wild do what wild animals do.

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/25/16 01:41 PM

Thing is these animals are on the loose.
Posted By: Nate1979

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/25/16 02:24 PM

Thing is these animals are on the loose.

And they are allowed to procreate.
Posted By: andrewg

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/25/16 03:21 PM

When I feel a need to work overtime, I will. I don't like doing it, but it's hard to refuse the amount of money a couple of days can give you. With time and a half on Saturday and double on Sunday...it's almost like another 1/2 a paycheck.
But....I only do it when a REAL reason exists. We just bought a house, so...I needed to work some O/T. There is a guy in my group that is in his sixties. He brags about his family...his grandkids, etc. He also talks about how he ran his own business before and has lots of investments...including a home in Hawaii. Thing is...the guy works every single bit of O/T he can and that includes holidays. He's nuts. Never home...he spends the vast majority of his life in a freakin warehouse. Yet he talks like he's a big "family" man. Seems to me he's more of a "paycheck man" than anything else. One day he will have a heart attack at work...they'll put on his headstone..."Here lies the King of Overtime".
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Something to think about..... - 05/25/16 09:10 PM

LOL, what's "overtime"...Have only got "balance time" for the last decade and a bit...and the account only goes one way.
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy