Home

Bro Truck Rant

Posted By: LoneRanger

Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 07:35 PM

4 x 4 with too much positive offset on the after market (always blacked out) rims so that the wheels exceed outer limit of the fenders. Crew cab, newer model domestic USA brand, usually a 5' bed box on average.

I'm sorry, but to me these are rather useless except for 1. manhood extension, and 2. towing something on a regular basis. I think #2 is subordinate to #1 in most cases.

Posted By: dishdude

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 07:38 PM

They usually aren't driving slow and in my way so I don't care.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 07:43 PM

I never worry what others drive. The one thing I can say is that having the rear camera with cross traffic alert helps immensely if you are backing out of a parking space and one of these is parked next to you.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by PimTac
I never worry what others drive. The one thing I can say is that having the rear camera with cross traffic alert helps immensely if you are backing out of a parking space and one of these is parked next to you.

I don't either but the demographic that operate these vehicles around these parts for some reason seem to want me to tow them... or at least one would think so because they tail gate so closely they might was well hitch up. This with me running 15 mph over the posted limit in most cases. I guess they actually own the highway and I must be trespassing.
Posted By: zorobabel

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 07:49 PM

They bother me because they drive fast and think they own the road. God forbid one is stuck behind you; you get the full blast of modified long beams right at eye level, followed by an illegal overtaking maneuver kicking up rocks with the stupid mud tires; a cloud of black smoke can be a bonus. I sometimes think they have the brain development of 10 year olds.
Posted By: jcartwright99

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 07:56 PM

No different than all the other fads that I personally don't think highly of. I don't care, if they want to broadcast their bad taste it's their right. My personal (least) favorite right now, is stanced cars. I just don't get it.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 07:58 PM

I thought stancing was no longer in fashion.
Posted By: spavel6

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 08:00 PM

I wonder how these modifications remain road legal, and why they aren't being impounded at a higher rate?

I always thought that tires wider than the fenders were a no go, as well as changing bumper height from stock?
Posted By: KGMtech

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 08:05 PM

Only thing that bothers me about this breed of owner is that some neglect brake maintenance, the huge rims are generating far more kinetic energy relative to the OEM equipment - this puts innocent others at greater risk.
Posted By: carviewsonic

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 08:33 PM

Plenty of those around here. These jacked-up trucks with swamp buggy tires are usually the fastest vehicles I see on the road. I don't get it, with the price of gas and diesel these days. Too much testosterone I think...
Posted By: Oily_Thing

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 08:37 PM

What's up with the really stupid-looking lowered rears/ jacked up fronts? I see trucks like that and I want to barf.
Posted By: JLTD

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 08:43 PM

Lack of confidence/character/self esteem.
Posted By: 02SE

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
4 x 4 with too much positive offset on the after market (always blacked out) rims so that the wheels exceed outer limit of the fenders. Crew cab, newer model domestic USA brand, usually a 5' bed box on average.

I'm sorry, but to me these are rather useless except for 1. manhood extension, and 2. towing something on a regular basis. I think #2 is subordinate to #1 in most cases.

I think you mean too much negative offset on the wheels.

I have people make baseless comments about me or the wife, based on the vehicles we are riding/ driving at the time, on a regular basis. This happens when we are stopped somewhere, so it's not because of how we are operating said vehicles on the road.

Why do they do this? Simple pettiness?, jealousy?, they've always been a busybody? Their commentary is always amusing, so I/we usually laugh at them, and let them go on their little angry way.

I'd suggest going for a ride, and letting some of that pent-up frustration melt away.
Posted By: KrisZ

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 08:49 PM

I don't care either, but I do wonder sometimes how they can afford fuelling up these monsters.
It's a personal choice both in taste and economics, which doesn't affect me in any direct or indirect way.
Posted By: Tman220

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 08:56 PM

People like what they like, it probably differs from you. Personally I cringe when I see them, not my thing... Please stop with the age-old, "manhood extension" argument though, it's lazy, worn out, and stinks of jealousy/envy/arrogance/insecurity, etc etc.
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
What's up with the really stupid-looking lowered rears/ jacked up fronts? I see trucks like that and I want to barf.

That is the California desert prerunner look.

Like this? We call it tuna boat'n. Usually the driver is wearing a flat bill trucker hat tucked over his ears. It's just their thing.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wemay

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tman220

People like what they like, it probably differs from you. Personally I cringe when I see them, not my thing... Please stop with the age-old, "manhood extension" argument though, it's lazy, worn out, and stinks of jealousy/envy/arrogance/insecurity, etc etc.

approved
Posted By: 01rangerxl

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 10:49 PM

I'm not into the bro-truck style at all, but to each their own. I don't have to drive the thing, so it doesn't bother me what they do to it.

Bro-truck drivers actually aren't usually the worst around here. Aggressive, crazy, distracted driving is so prevalent here that I don't even associate it with a particular type or style of vehicle. You're just as likely to encounter a subcompact micro car tearing down the road, halfway over the center line and seemingly out of control as a bro-truck.

Bro-truck ads on Craigslist are pretty amusing. Usually it's a nearly 10 year old truck that has a value of maybe $20K tops dealer retail in excellent STOCK condition, but they owe $30K on it, so that's what they have it listed at, and say that in the ad! How someone reaches the conclusion that a vehicle's value is simply what they owe on it is beyond me. "2010 SILVERADO Z71 2WD 150K MILES, 12" LIFT, NEW BRBPPP XD METH FUEL ASSAULTER 26X26 WHEELS WITH 585/20R26 MUD TIRES, 100,000,000,000,000K LED LIGHT BARS, OWE $29,000 THAT'S WHAT I'M LOOKIN' TO GET." LOL
Posted By: Mr Nice

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 10:56 PM

You're in Alabama so I'm really not surprised.....
Posted By: hatt

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:00 PM

It's some brand new trend that started in the 1970s.
Posted By: nthach

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:04 PM

Brodozers are the new Range Rovers, just not as feminine looking.
Posted By: Linctex

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by spavel6
I wonder how these modifications remain road legal, and why they aren't being impounded at a higher rate?

I always thought that tires wider than the fenders were a no go, as well as changing bumper height from stock?

It all depends on who does actual "law enforcement"

Most cops are pretty selective about which laws they choose to enforce.
Posted By: Linctex

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

Bro-truck drivers actually aren't usually the worst around here. Aggressive, crazy, distracted driving is so prevalent here that I don't even associate it with a particular type or style of vehicle

The worst is young ladies texting while driving.

YES - - - I see guys do it, too - - just not near as often, and they don't lose control over vehicle direction as often, either.
Posted By: bullwinkle

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:23 PM

I like the bro trucks-I move over, & then follow them around (not TOO close, though)-they'll get the ticket, and since they're so jacked up & block the airflow, there's a little MPG improvement too! The texting drivers in the high speed lane going 10 MPH slower than everybody else & swerving all over are a lot worse.
Posted By: AuthorEditor

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:27 PM

Nope. The absolute worst are contractors. The contractors have three or four guys jammed onto the bench seat, they're all eating Big Macs, texting on their phones, and the driver can barely peer over the pile of bills and trash stacked up on the dashboard. They are always driving over the limit on nearly bald tires, with ladders on the top held on with a couple of shock cords and trash flying out of the back. I have been nearly killed a few times by trucks like that.
Posted By: fdcg27

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by 02SE

I have people make baseless comments about me or the wife, based on the vehicles we are riding/ driving at the time, on a regular basis. This happens when we are stopped somewhere, so it's not because of how we are operating said vehicles on the road.

Why do they do this? Simple pettiness?, jealousy?, they've always been a busybody? Their commentary is always amusing, so I/we usually laugh at them, and let them go on their little angry way.

I'd suggest going for a ride, and letting some of that pent-up frustration melt away.

All of this might be true, except when one of these juvenile imbeciles is tailgating me in my sensible car, maybe with my grandson in the back seat.
Guess what the truckee has to look forward to should he run his substitute for manhood over the back of my car and injure my grandson or wife?
The cops won't get there quickly enough to help him and probably wouldn't care if they did.
Posted By: xxch4osxx

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor

Nope. The absolute worst are contractors. The contractors have three or four guys jammed onto the bench seat, they're all eating Big Macs, texting on their phones, and the driver can barely peer over the pile of bills and trash stacked up on the dashboard. They are always driving over the limit on nearly bald tires, with ladders on the top held on with a couple of shock cords and trash flying out of the back. I have been nearly killed a few times by trucks like that.

I had to laugh when I read this description of a typical contractor vehicle lol! It is a pretty accurate description, even up here!

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by fdcg27

All of this might be true, except when one of these juvenile imbeciles is tailgating me in my sensible car, maybe with my grandson in the back seat.
Guess what the truckee has to look forward to should he run his substitute for manhood over the back of my car and injure my grandson or wife?
The cops won't get there quickly enough to help him and probably wouldn't care if they did.

When you are King, you can stipulate what mode of transport is "sensible".

Until that day, we live in a society that is still somewhat Free. Which means that those in "Bro Trucks" can drive what they want. Now if they are breaking the law by tailgating, or driving recklessly and cause an accident, then they should be held accountable. As should anyone in a "sensible" vehicle that causes an accident while breaking the law and/or driving recklessly.

Just for the record, I don't own a "Bro Truck".

I do however have a problem with those that try to tell others how to live their lives...
Posted By: RayCJ

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:44 PM

I try my best to just accept what other people behold. That said, I simply don't understand how some of these vehicles are allowed on public roads. Illegal bumper mechanisms, illegal bumper heights, illegal headlight focus, uncovered wheels, rear underside exposed fuel tanks, off-terrain tires driven on pavement... The same rules should apply to these vehicles as they do to CDL vehicles and off-road motorbikes.

Ray

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:50 PM

That said, I simply don't understand how some of these vehicles are allowed on public roads.

Part of the answer here can be seen in the parking lot near the local police station where I often see one or more of these vehicles parked by patrolmen while they are on duty.
Posted By: Trav

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/22/19 11:57 PM

Does anyone really care? I don't.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 12:04 AM

I do find it annoying that obviously illegal vehicles (particularly the rolling coal ones) are apparently immune from law enforcement, while every grandma with a cracked taillight or one headlight out is pulled over for a ticket.
Posted By: maxdustington

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx

I had to laugh when I read this description of a typical contractor vehicle lol! It is a pretty accurate description, even up here!
You forgot to mention all of them are smoking cigarettes!
Posted By: fdcg27

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 12:17 AM

I have people make baseless comments about me or the wife, based on the vehicles we are riding/ driving at the time, on a regular basis. This happens when we

are stopped somewhere, so it's not because of how we are operating said vehicles on the road.

When you are King, you can stipulate what mode of transport is "sensible".

Until that day, we live in a society that is still somewhat Free. Which means that those in "Bro Trucks" can drive what they want. Now if they are breaking the law by tailgating, or driving recklessly and cause an accident, then they should be held accountable. As should anyone in a "sensible" vehicle that causes an accident while breaking the law and/or driving recklessly.

Just for the record, I don't own a "Bro Truck".

I do however have a problem with those that try to tell others how to live their lives...

You apparently misunderstood what I posted.
You can drive what you like but when you cause injury to others by modifying a vehicle beyond factory spec and take it out of safety standard compliance for road vehicles, then I and every other road user has the right to tell you that you can't use that vehicle on our public roads.
I guess you also misunderstood what I meant when I wrote that the driver of any such vehicle who caused injury to my people would face me long before the cops arrived.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 12:23 AM

You can drive what you like but when you cause injury to others by modifying a vehicle beyond factory spec and take it out of safety standard compliance for road vehicles, then I and every other road user has the right to tell you that you can't use that vehicle on our public roads.
I guess you also misunderstood what I meant when I wrote that the driver of any such vehicle who caused injury to my people would face me long before the cops arrived.

Nope. I understood your meaning and intent perfectly...

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 12:57 AM

Playing the safety card to try and impose your ill-guided will is the standard modus operandi of the type of person you seem to project, i.e. a control seeking individual.
Posted By: antonmnster

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 01:46 AM

They're obnoxious. I wouldn't care except they:
- tend to hit pedestrians with their enormous blind spots and are much more likely to kill them
- off road lights cause blindness to everyone else. But they look so cool and everyone knows they're important!
- tend to drive quite a bit faster than the laws of physics suggest they should

The "safety card" is very real. Even if I'm not involved in a wreck, I think severe punishment should be involved in those who choose this brand of negligence when they inevitably crash.
Posted By: umungus1122

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by KrisZ

Playing the safety card to try and impose your ill-guided will is the standard modus operandi of the type of person you seem to project, i.e. a control seeking individual.

He isn't trying to impose his will at all. He said what he would do if someone killed his grandson with their reckless behavior. I would acquit him all day on that jury.
Posted By: Voleak

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 02:59 AM

It can be rather entertaining watching Bro-trucks trying to park in parking lots like Costco, malls on the weekend, and other tight lots. It's amusing to see, but annoying when your behind them as they have to do four point maneuvers to get in a space. But they don't care about holding up traffic (chest puffed out) it's all about them, after all. LOL.
Posted By: Dinoburner

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 03:21 AM

A few years ago took a job doing an OCI and tuneup on a 55 chevy with a huge blower scoop on the hood. only had to drive 4 miles. After finishing the job I said I wasn`t comfortable not being able to see out the right side of the windshield so he would have to come get it. We disused the liability and he said there were no problems. We have not done business since.
Posted By: Garak

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx

Yes. You only really could change Big Macs to some Tim Horton's wrap or other horrible food.
Posted By: PumpPusher

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 09:08 AM

I say more power to them. People just sound jealous when complaining about other vehicles. Maybe they have money to burn, maybe you don't. Those trucks can get him some good [censored] though.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 11:35 AM

People just sound jealous when complaining about other vehicles.

I don't detect jealousy. Some people just prefer sharing public roads with vehicles that are safe and legal, if for no other reason than our own safety. It is true that Bro Trucks are only one example of the many unsafe-at-any-speed vehicles that I find annoying. For example, I can never understand choppers. People actually spend hard-earned dollars to make their bikes ugly, handle poorly, uncomfortable to ride, slow, and annoyingly loud to everyone around them. Then they dress up like a pirate with an illegal helmet that looks like someone spray painted and polished their bald heads, and proceed to ride five miles to the nearest bar where they hang out in flocks. I could care less if they did this on private property, but they are sharing the road with people that won't be happy picking up the pieces after the inevitable crash.
Posted By: gman2304

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 12:38 PM

I’ve been in Myrtle Beach all week, which happens to be bike week. Most of you guys would be going crazy with all the different vehicles on the roads here this week! I look back to 1969 when I prowled ocean blvd in my SS396 Chevelle with a wild Crane cam and open headers and wonder what the locals were thinking of me and my friends 50 years ago. I think now what I thought then......I don’t give a rats - - - what you think! I’ve enjoyed this week! “Get off my lawn, stupid kids! drive
Posted By: jeepman3071

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 12:51 PM

I don't really care what people drive as long as they are respectful on the road.

There are quite a few "brodozers" where I live. I've gotten to recognize all of the trucks. Some of them are normal guys that just have lifted trucks. Some of the others are real d-bags and act really aggressive while driving, use their trucks to drive over sidewalks, flowerbeds, etc causing a lot of damage.

One of my friends has a lifted and modded duramax, and he gets plenty of tickets for bumper height, speeding, loud exhaust, etc. I don't really understand it but to each his own. He probably owes 20 grand still on a truck that has over 200k miles. shrug
Posted By: ls1mike

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Like this? We call it tuna boat'n. Usually the driver is wearing a flat bill trucker hat tucked over his ears. It's just their thing.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is called the "Carolina Squat"

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 01:01 PM

I have seen D-bags in every type of car. I think some people just look for certain types of truck or cars so they can complain.
Plenty of dumb ….. driving Corollas or Civics aggressively too.
Drive what you want and what makes you happy. Some of you have way too much time on your hands if you can worry about what everyone else is driving.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I have seen D-bags in every type of car.

Yep.
Posted By: Env1ous

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 01:23 PM

For me I just really like the look of it. It is a culture thing to me. I don't understand lowered cars that scrape so they go 20mph down the road lol. I don't drive like a d-bag but i would be lying if I said people don't go out of their way to ding up and do stuff to my truck. I can count at least 5 scrapes and dings in my truck each month on its silky black paint. It really upsets me! I park far away from everyone and I always park in the lines. (not taking up 2 spaces because I cant drive) On the road and while parking I understand I have a big truck so I try to keep it out of everyones way so im not being a d-bag.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 01:56 PM

Some of the others are real d-bags and act really aggressive while driving,

Yep, a few weeks ago I was driving down a narrow one-way city street with cars parked down one side, lots of tourists walking on the sidewalk on my left, people crossing the street, and stop signs every block. I was driving well under the limit because of all the activity and the possibility of someone walking out from between the parked cars. I had a classic Bro Truck on my tail that kept accelerating aggressively right up to my bumper before jamming on the brakes. When we got to a street with two lanes he floored it and swerved wildly around me and tore off, then barely slowed up at the next stop sign before squealing around the corner and giving me the finger as he careened off doing 10-20 over the limit in the city. That's why Bro Trucks have a bad reputation.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by umungus1122

He isn't trying to impose his will at all. He said what he would do if someone killed his grandson with their reckless behavior. I would acquit him all day on that jury.

And what exactly does reckless behavior have to do specifically with bro trucks and them being unsafe? Reckless driving can come from any vehicle on the road and it is pretty clear you guys are using the safety argument against the bro truck just because you don't like them. Besides, how do you know they're unsafe? Did you get them inspected by a certified shop. Or are you guys speaking from your behinds simply based on your feelings? Many "sensible" looking vehicles can be death traps underneath. How do you determine what is safe and what isn't simply by looking at the vehicle driving down the road?

You guys are simply proving that you are more nuts then the "bad" people you seem to be so afraid of. fdcg27 would spend a lot of time in jail and you would never make that jury.
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 02:48 PM

Personally, since I've had "personalized" vehicles over the years, my threshold for where it crosses from expression of individuality into danger may differ from others who have commented.

I think a tastefully lifted truck with decent looking aftermarket wheels that work with the stock brakes and perhaps some aggressive looking tires can look good. Where things go wrong is where we get into the extremes:

- Aftermarket HID retrofit into stock reflectors, blasting blinding light all over the place
- Light bars, used in town
- Huge lifts that put the bumper well above the crush zones of other vehicles
- Aftermarket "roll coal" tunes that belch black clouds, often accompanied with the aforementioned lift above, which results in this taking place at window-level
- HUGE wheel/tire combos that showcase the wholly inadequate baby brakes that are expected to stop them

People drive like morons in everything, so I'm not going to lay that exclusively at the feet of "Bro's". Some of them drive quite reasonably, even if they are guilty of the above unsafe mods. Others do the above AND drive like morons however, which makes them more dangerous that Betty doing that in her Caravan.

The worst accident I've ever been in proximity of was a result of the opposite trend: the "slammed" crowd. A couple of guys in a Civic with chopped springs took an on-ramp on the 401 like they were driving in Formula 1. Merged at an extremely rapid pace, "carved" their way over to the hammer lane, during the process of which, a tie-rod end let go, sending the car into a spin where it careened through the median, rolled, ended up on its roof in oncoming traffic, and while still going at quite a clip, ground off the roof, and then proceeded to smear its occupants all over the 401 for quite some distance.
Posted By: MNgopher

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 03:15 PM

Sure is a lot of stereotyping and worrying about what others drive in this thread. Some of the folks who drive the vehicles that are being disparaged in this thread are actually some of the nicest people you may meet - and quite honestly, pretty handy and helpful when it comes to working on cars.

There are a few in every crowd. No doubt - but that goes for every type of car in existence, period.
Posted By: Ponchinizo

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 03:34 PM

The thing I notice around here are that a lot of lifted trucks are "pavement queens", with real cheap lift kits that serve no practical purpose, these guys have to go .5mph over speed bumps for fear of hurting their cheap suspensions. You can tell the difference between those and the guys that go out and play in mud, one is for use and one is for looks.

I don't get modding a truck like that just for looks, but I'm not driving it and this is America. They're free to do as they please. I did like seeing the offroad mods around when I went to Colorado, those were some Bad-a trucks. Serious clearance, thick skid plates, tough suspensions. Would've loved to go trail riding with one of those guys!

The jerks that "roll coal" are a different story, don't get me started on them. But that's a small % of modded trucks around here.
Posted By: MCompact

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 03:55 PM

My philosophy has always been that it is none of my business what other people choose to drive. All I ask is that I be accorded the same respect.
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 04:11 PM

Thanks Mike. Wish I could un-see that.
Posted By: madRiver

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 05:26 PM

They can be annoying esp black smoke and lack of signals driving crazy on occasion. I think a few bad apples make them look all bad.
Posted By: umungus1122

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 05:49 PM

And what exactly does reckless behavior have to do specifically with bro trucks and them being unsafe? Reckless driving can come from any vehicle on the road and it is pretty clear you guys are using the safety argument against the bro truck just because you don't like them. Besides, how do you know they're unsafe? Did you get them inspected by a certified shop. Or are you guys speaking from your behinds simply based on your feelings? Many "sensible" looking vehicles can be death traps underneath. How do you determine what is safe and what isn't simply by looking at the vehicle driving down the road?

You guys are simply proving that you are more nuts then the "bad" people you seem to be so afraid of. fdcg27 would spend a lot of time in jail and you would never make that jury.

Reckless behavior is exactly that, regardless of what you're driving. Looks like 'CA' is more of the problem here. Most of the country would applaud fdcg27, as would their LE, prosecutors, and citizens. Probably should stay in your coastal nutjob state and keep your nonsensical ideology to yourself.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 06:36 PM

Probably should stay in your coastal nutjob state and keep your nonsensical ideology to yourself.

Ahh yes. You know you have a tenuous argument, when you have to resort to a petty insult, based on where someone lives...
Posted By: DoubleWasp

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 06:43 PM

I do find it annoying that obviously illegal vehicles (particularly the rolling coal ones) are apparently immune from law enforcement, while every grandma with a cracked taillight or one headlight out is pulled over for a ticket.

Rolling coal is legal in Florida. A truck may produce any amount of smoke upon acceleration according to FL statutes.

I don't like it, and none of my trucks have smoke tunes or smoke that much for any other reason, but cops can't do anything about it.
Posted By: DGXR

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 08:44 PM

My opinion: the problem is not the trucks themselves but the driving behavior and attitudes that come with the bro truck... behavior full of entitlement and lack of respect/consideration for others. What kind of person blasts down a quiet residential street at 3am? Oh right... insecure young men, desperate for attention, trying to feel good about themselves. And the longer they get away with it, the more it becomes part of who they are. This is sad for everyone, not just for them.
And I wish they would actually use their trucks for something, they are capable of so much more than beer runs.
Posted By: Skippy722

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/23/19 09:00 PM

This is what I think when I see those trucks.

Attached picture 4D1F0732-D695-49A7-AA2E-EB2A9DDE4D5B.jpeg
Posted By: Win

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/24/19 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Sure is a lot of stereotyping and worrying about what others drive in this thread. Some of the folks who drive the vehicles that are being disparaged in this thread are actually some of the nicest people you may meet - and quite honestly, pretty handy and helpful when it comes to working on cars. ...

I have a couple of clients with bro dozers.

One is the type of guy that doesn't really look out of place in a bro dozer, the other is the intellectual, man bun, type of guy, that does seem ( to me ) a bit out of place in one. Both are great guys, hard working, honest, small business owners, I have a lot of respect for - don't want to sound like I am disparaging either one, it's not my intention.

I had a client who came here from New Zealand, a Maori (sp?) I think, also a great guy, and he wound up with a bro dozer. Unfortunately, he also wound up with a stripper who was a lot of trouble, and stripped him of his money so thoroughly he barely had enough left to put his bro dozer in a container for the trip back to NZ.

So, I dunno, could be anybody in that bro mobile ... but not me. I don't care much for them, personally.
Posted By: 01rangerxl

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/24/19 12:52 AM

[Linked Image]

Must be a South Carolina thing...North Carolina has rules and inspections.

These squat trucks seem to push it from kind of dumb looking to inherently dangerous. The trucks look broken because essentially they are. Visibility has to be terrible at the least, and I wonder how braking/handling is impacted. Not to mention the stress on suspension components. Funny thing is it seems like they are going for a desert race truck look, but I'm pretty sure if you jumped a squat truck there would be some major suspension destruction.

I'm sorry, but there does come a point where a vehicle doesn't belong on public roadways. I think the extreme squat trucks (not just a little rake) cross that line.
Posted By: dave1251

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/24/19 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Only thing that bothers me about this breed of owner is that some neglect brake maintenance, the huge rims are generating far more kinetic energy relative to the OEM equipment - this puts innocent others at greater risk.

This is my concern along with their insistence of passing 8 cars at a time on a two lane highway towing. There are 4 bottlenecks on that road before the border so it does no good passing because time can not be made up. Well dummies still try and have killed more people then I want to recall in the last 90 days.
Posted By: dave1251

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/24/19 04:05 AM

No the worst is the driver watching a movie on his phone holding it with two hands while steering with his arms through the steering wheel.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/24/19 04:21 AM

LOL. You are welcome...I think. LOL. Sorry you had to see it. I really dislike the Carolina Squat. None of my business but I think it probably takes away from the functionality of the truck.

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/24/19 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Skippy722

This is what I think when I see those trucks.

LOL
Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/24/19 09:25 PM

They are a big problem around here, The thing about them I hate most is most of them are driven in a completely reckless manner, almost all of the time. The people that tend to drive them tend to have anger issues or something as they drive in a very aggressive dangerous manner. I call them enraged rednecks.

Many of these folks around here really cant afford the as they typically ask more than they are worth, and they do mention what is owed on them.

I am just a mere working man not privy to generational wealth or the like, I could not afford to drive one, nor would I want to. I suppose I can "afford" one but I chose to live in a nice house, on a nice piece of property, and save for retirement and my daughters schooling.

Alot of the Bro Trucks here in my part of Indiana are parked outside barely habitable shacks or trailers, not all, but many. I suppose they could be saving a lot and have a substantial bank account by not replacing their roof for years instead just putting up a new brown plastic tarp every year or two, however i doubt it....

One day I seen one of these enraged types trying to buy diesel for his manhood ext.... I mean Brotruck. He went thru several credit cards, none of which was accepted and started arguing with his lady about which one was supposed to have enough on it to buy fuel. I left before they worked it out but there was alot of yelling and cussing...
Posted By: CrAlt

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/24/19 11:58 PM

The Bro Truck thing never really caught on here in a big way thankfully. There arn't many cheap fullsize trucks around because of rust and the laws on them are kinda strict. The max suspension lift allowed is 4" and your headlights can't be higher then 54" (on center) from the road. Get a fix-it ticket and you have to go the DMV inspection garage where they put your car on a lift and rip it apart looking for non-DOT approved modifications.

I have never seen one of those squatting trucks. Thats a new one to me lol.
Posted By: Jarlaxle

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/25/19 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

[Linked Image]

Must be a South Carolina thing...North Carolina has rules and inspections.

These squat trucks seem to push it from kind of dumb looking to inherently dangerous. The trucks look broken because essentially they are. Visibility has to be terrible at the least, and I wonder how braking/handling is impacted. Not to mention the stress on suspension components. Funny thing is it seems like they are going for a desert race truck look, but I'm pretty sure if you jumped a squat truck there would be some major suspension destruction.

I'm sorry, but there does come a point where a vehicle doesn't belong on public roadways. I think the extreme squat trucks (not just a little rake) cross that line.

Perhaps it's time to require any vehicle with altered suspension geometry be signed off on by an engineer before permitting it on public roads.
Posted By: xxch4osxx

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/25/19 05:43 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How would you drive something like that at night? The front end is pointed up at such an angle the headlights would be useless!
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/25/19 05:53 PM

That squat junk shouldn’t be on the road period. The headlights will blind everyone else and I can’t imagine the steering is not compromised. Visibility forward is reduced.

Spend all that money on a pickup and then making it useless and dangerous doesn’t sound very smart.
Posted By: spasm3

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/25/19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by PimTac
That squat junk shouldn’t be on the road period. The headlights will blind everyone else and I can’t imagine the steering is not compromised. Visibility forward is reduced.

Spend all that money on a pickup and then making it useless and dangerous doesn’t sound very smart.

I generally don't care what others do to their vehicles, unless its a safety issue for everyone else. This clearly is. In this case i totally agree with you.

From the headlight aim, and that it probably can't stop worth spit. The bumper is going to hit high in a side impact, really high. If the driver rear ends someone at speed, the truck could end up on top of them.
Posted By: meadows

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/25/19 09:40 PM

If they hurt anyone in my family, they will see a lawsuit and have the truck impounded. It has to be a safety issue since the bumpers do not line up properly. Around here, they are just jacked up.
Posted By: dja4260

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/25/19 10:07 PM

That's big where I live. I also get a chuckle of these guys that have their Instagram name decaled all over their truck. These are adults?, correct?
Posted By: M56959

Re: Bro Truck Rant - 05/26/19 03:35 AM

Rants have a lifespan after which it just becomes bickering.

As enough have noted, regarding posters, that decided to add race to the topic.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy