Nissan Altima 2.5 4 cyl.....what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased this vehicle. It is a 2002 Nisson Altima 2.5 S. It has 75k on it, and I have no idea what type of oil has been through it. I do know that I have a lot of GC and PP Euro 5w40 from a VW VR6 that I just sold...so anyone need any of that?

On to the current question. Does anyone have this motor, and what type of oil should I run? Weight? Good UOA's not listed?

I used to have an Altima and it ran perfect on Valvoline conventional. Had 128,000 miles when I sold it. I'd recommend that if you plan on using conventional dino. If you plan on using synthetic though, I won't be able to be much help because I never used any synthetic in that car.

Also, I am going to do ARX then with probably Castrol GTX or Pennzoil dino. I really don't even know what the 2.5 altima calls for. I don't have an owners manual, and the stealership didn't even seem to know. surprise surprise.

From the Amsoil site:
2002 NISSAN/DATSUN ALTIMA 2.5L 4-cyl Engine Code QR25DE
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Above 0°F......10W-30, 10W-40
All Temps......5W-30[1]1. SAE 5W-30 is preferred.
Engine, with filter..........4.2 quarts[1]
It looks to me like you could use up your 5W40 GC and PP in it. Get the reusable dry Amsoil air filter EAA74 for best filtration.

I used 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winters in my Altima. Keep in mind I drove that car hard with lots of short trips and it never burned oil, etc. Great engine in those cars. I just used a fram air filter in mine for the first 6 months or so, then switched it out for a k&n until I sold it (a year and a half)

Use your PP and GC.

The engine requires a 5w30. There is a UOA of one with 20wt. And, many Nissan owners like using 40wts.

Nissan recommends a 3750 severe service OCI.

Due to some oil consumption issues, keep an eye on oil level.

You should be able to download the owners manual from nissantechinfo.com. It'll give some recommendations. But, Nissan doesn't have the maintenance guide download. I believe that phatg20.net still hosts the factory service manual.

Because of the balance shafts, timing chains, dohc......I would recommend a full synthetic for engine longevity.

Coop,
I own an 04 Altima with the same engine and I agree with unDummy and keep your PP & GC. Supposedly these engines like the oil that is in your possession. I use 5/30 in the winter and 10/30-40 mix in the summer. The owners manual calls for 5W30, 10W30 or 10W40 and to change the oil every 3750 miles.

I've used dino 5w-30, GC 0w-30, a run of GTX 10w-40 last summer and presently PP 5w-30 in my 04 Altima 2.5. It was quieter with the thicker oils but once the temperature gets to 50 degrees or lower, the timing chain will is noisey until it warms up no matter what oil is in the crank case.

I have been using GC in my 2.5 Altima for the last 3 years, your engine will love it. These engines do like a thicker oil so your PP 5W-40 will do nice as a summer oil.

I had a 2002. Used several dino oils and was using Tropartic 5w30 last few changes. 5000 mile interval. Didn't keep the car 4 years. No oil related problems and no oil burner. I will say that engine was noisier with the SM Tropartic. I traded for all wheel drive and was also concerned about potential for a motor eating cat converter failure. There was a recall fix but long term, who knows. Was a very reliable comfortable car with decent gas milage. Factory Conti tires were godawful. Even with a great set of tires traction in snow and ice was not great. Car has a large "footprint" for its weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back