WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting comments. The use for arthritis suggests an anti-inflammatory effect-at least perceived. Placebo? Hard to say. If genuine, makes me wonder if it might possibly contain something like Dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO), an organic solvent. Have y`all ever heard of WD-40 being used as a fish attractant? Like scent on a fishing lure? Seems like I remember reading that somewhere.

"Have y`all ever heard of WD-40 being used as a fish attractant? Like scent on a fishing lure? Seems like I remember reading that somewhere."

I've found that 3 in 1 oil works pretty well for a fish lure. I suppose WD-40 would work also.

I guess I'm odd man out here. I lube my guns with WD-40 and have had no problems. I use it on my garden tools, as well as my mechanic's tools to prevent rust.

I lube the kid's bike chains with it. Not a problem--ever.

It works for me.
smile.gif

Dan

i use it on my firearms as well. i have heard all sorts of "what ever you do, do not use it on your shotgun, pistol, rifle, " etc. i have never had a failure of any kind on these pieces. i even use it on the stock of my 870 express, and the dang thing looks new, w/ lots of hard use. i always wipe my stuff down after i use it and until it fails me, i'll probably always have a can in my garage somewhere.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
I never use it. 1 I don't trust anything that is hyped that much. 2 I don't know what is in it making it difficult to make intelligent choices about where to use it. 3 I can buy real silicone for the same or less. It is true that you can get into trouble spraying silicone here there and everywhere, but I know it is a silicone.

Same here. I've banned it from home and also from work. The solvent in it seems to strip all the good lubricant from wherever it's applied, leaving a thin film of oil that doesn't last. Rust soon follows.

There are all sorts of quality solvents and lubricants available with proven performance, and I mostly know what's in them...

P.S. Here's more uses
Protects silver from tarnishing
cleans and lubes guitar strings
gets oil spots off concrete driveways
keeps flies off cows
cleans chalkboards
removes lipstick stains
loosens stubborn zippers
untangles jewelry chains
removes stains from stainless steel sinks
removes grime from barbecue grill
removes tomato stains from clothing
keeps glass shower doors free from water spots
removes splattered grease on stoves
keeps bathroom mirror from fogging
keeps pigeons off the balcony
attracts fish
takes sting away from fire ant bites
removes crayon marks from walls
takes tar and scuff marks off flooring
and take bug guts off the front of your car

This is a list I found on the net a while back..

I used it on my wrists before I had carpel tunnel surgery. Only use WD40 for cleaning firearms, after cleaning wipe down with a real lube. WD40 is known for attacking primers and making them inert.

wjrwolfe1, eBay seller. He's an older gentleman, master mechanic been working on Mopars for *** knows how long. I'm taking my spare 3rd member to him in a week or two to be rebuilt with new 3.73 gears and a Powertrax locker. Highly recommneded, fair prices. Need to factor in shipping though, if you don't live near Ault, CO. OBTW, it was $185.

He's got a set out there now, item# 4579851784

I was looking at the web site and if you register for the 'fan club'(!) you can see a list of 2000 uses. MSDS says it is 45-50% Stoddard Solvent or mineral spirits, 30-35% Petroleum Base oil adn 12-18% LVP Hydrocaron Fluid(?). Interestingly the same company makes 3-in-1 oil, which is 97% severely hydrotreated heavy napthenic oil, and has a faint citronella odor....
When using it for arthritis, do you use the red tube and inject it??
lol.gif

About every six months, I spray all my motors down with WD-40. Matter 'o fact, I spray the entire engine compartment down. Makes them look like new. My Grandmother sprayed it on her knees and swore it made them feel better. Personally, I love the smell. I love the smell of 3 in 1 oil as well. I use Marvel Mystery Oil as an after shave. But I can't stand the smell of P.B. Blaster. I use it because it works well, but I can hardly stand the smell.

I use WD40 to clean used albums that I've bought if they have a lot of ticks and pops. I noticed that a lot of cleaners don't always get the stuff embedded in grooves, that Tupperware is pretty slick when it gets oily, so I tried some WD40 on some pretty dirty LPs with the hope of the oil on plastic helping to 'float' the dirt loose. It works pretty well. I brush it on with a soft paintbrush, following the grooves, use dish soap to remove it, and rinse well. It obviously won't fix scratches. Most audiophiles seem to prefer sepuku to using WD40 on the LPs, but one DJ commented that he used it for years to remove dried up tape on LPs, as they use to mark popular tracks, and that others did the same.

"Only use WD40 for cleaning firearms, after cleaning wipe down with a real lube. WD40 is known for attacking primers and making them inert."

That's a fact! Many years ago as a young man I sprayed WD-40 all in a tub with about 500 rounds of .22LR in it. Months later almost none of them would light off....never did THAT again
nono.gif

I have used WD40 to remove grease stains on carpet. It does an outstanding job. You just need to remember to follow up with a mild soap/carpet cleaner and rinse with water.

I never use it as a lubricant or penetrating oil. Mostly just have it around to coat the outboard for winter storage and spray on the distributor cap and ignition wires of the old Jeep, if it gives me problems when it's wet out. After seeing how much solvent is in it, I may think twice about spraying it on the outboard, although I've never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back