Acetone free brake/parts cleaner?

JHZR2

Staff member
I was watching some European diy videos, and they had been using some aerosol parts cleaners. They are chlorine and acetone free. Looks like they’re mostly hexane maybe.

Does anyone know of such products that can be recommended for use in the USA? It seems that all non chlorinated brake cleaners used over here are primarily acetone with some other solvents mixed in.

Thanks!

Check out electrical cleaners and gun scrubbers. I'm sure I seen some that meet your criteria. Unfortunately, I can't recall which ones at this point.

Ed

Last edited:
Hexane itself can be toxic.
Most of these solvents can be/aren’t good to interact with.

I was really just interested because this was the recommended cleaner:

Acetone is the ONE solvent that is exempt from almost all EPA regulations as a VOC.
Of course. Couldn’t unpaint finger and toenails unless we can have acetone…

I was watching some European diy videos, and they had been using some aerosol parts cleaners. They are chlorine and acetone free. Looks like they’re mostly hexane maybe.

Does anyone know of such products that can be recommended for use in the USA? It seems that all non chlorinated brake cleaners used over here are primarily acetone with some other solvents mixed in.

Thanks!
Yep, just to confirm your observation, in the USA and Canada, the Chlorinated cleaners have no acetone but are a no-no in California and Canada. The non-chlorinated cleaners have acetone. Not sure about non chlorinated with no acetone.

Regarding those two CRC cleaners QM, and QD, here they are their safety sheets respectively. They are both highly hydrocarbon based but neither has acetone.

D836E554-B46B-43C7-808C-FD8DC00B31BF.png
62259E8E-7858-4A5D-873F-320A18BD573D.png

Seems to me the chlorinated stuff is twice as heavy as the no chlorinated, just by picking up the can. I've been getting the FVP stuff Menards has on sale and though it says not chlorinated, it's heavier than the normal stuff and smells like tetrachloride.

It's acetone, toluene and methanol though.

Thanks!
Most of the store brand (Autozone, Advance, O’Reilly) are simply heptane and alcohol. The CRC stuff kills plastic parts quickly, damaging lights, battery cases and other tools, but the store brand, with the cheaper formulation, is better for my purposes.

Most of the store brand (Autozone, Advance, O’Reilly) are simply heptane and alcohol. The CRC stuff kills plastic parts quickly, damaging lights, battery cases and other tools, but the store brand, with the cheaper formulation, is better for my purposes.
One needs to check the actual SDS to be sure. Here is an Auto Value product that contains Toluene.

34BEE95C-E42F-49F0-B216-783A09F02E22.jpg
DD5F0A9E-1C27-4E38-A6BA-B77E1EF50D65.jpg

Of topic a little, but what did they use in the "old days" before the advent of pressurized cans like we have now?

I sorta remember gasoline and a brush, but that was before my time.

Of topic a little, but what did they use in the "old days" before the advent of pressurized cans like we have now?

I sorta remember gasoline and a brush, but that was before my time.
My dad said when he worked at a tire shop they had re fillable spray cans (fill with liquid, add compressed air) and they would use kerosene to clean brakes.

Years ago, I was waiting for some tires to get mounted and watched a guy doing a brake job in the next bay. He used a bucket of what looked like soapy water and a brush to clean everything off on some drum brakes before disassembly. I asked him what it was and he said it was plain dish soap... said it kept the dust out of the air and saved on spray cleaner.

Back