Getting a free 1997 Chevy 1500 extended cab

Originally Posted by zfasts03
RA

Good til July 26
x2
27.gif

greetings:

i wouldn't skimp on parts, you may be in there again in a year or sooner doing it over.

i see you live in the hill country, don't skimp on steering or suspension parts, you may not get a second chance to do it over again.

Last edited:
RA or Amazon. RA kills you on shipping. I try and get on Amazon if possible and cheapest price.

You are probably at $1000 for tires, brakes, any other things you will find (shocks, suspension).

But with no rust you should have a decent truck with some TLC.

The engine is a great engine that GM has built zillions of. Is it true fuel injection or TBI?

Some GM vehicles around the 1990s had issues with the fuel pump. Best to never let it run out of really low on fuel. (How do I know that??)

Originally Posted by Donald
RA or Amazon. RA kills you on shipping. I try and get on Amazon if possible and cheapest price.

You are probably at $1000 for tires, brakes, any other things you will find (shocks, suspension).

But with no rust you should have a decent truck with some TLC.

The engine is a great engine that GM has built zillions of. Is it true fuel injection or TBI?

Some GM vehicles around the 1990s had issues with the fuel pump. Best to never let it run out of really low on fuel. (How do I know that??)

I think it's true fuel injection. Although I have not seen the truck for over a year.

Yes not sure I'm ready for a 1200 mile road trip in an unknown vehicle. If the tranny blows up or rear end has issues, it could be an expensive fix on the side of the interstate.

Last edited:
Fix it before you drive it to save the $800, or pass on it and buy a road worthy 2000+ model which is a much more advanced vehicle. A broken down, damaged 23 year old truck simply is not worth much. "Free" can be insanely expensive once you factor in shipping, parts, tires, labor and then who knows what else unknown hidden issues you will find later. Beware.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Fix it before you drive it to save the $800, or pass on it and buy a road worthy 2000+ model which is a much more advanced vehicle. A broken down, damaged 23 year old truck simply is not worth much. "Free" can be insanely expensive once you factor in shipping, parts, tires, labor and then who knows what else unknown hidden issues you will find later. Beware.

The OP will have the same issues with a 2000+ pickup. The costs repairing one could go skyrocket really fast also.

Originally Posted by dave1251

The OP will have the same issues with a 2000+ pickup. The costs repairing one could go skyrocket really fast also.

Well, OBVIOUSLY he should not buy an already wrecked, broken, bad tires bad AC 2000+ model like the 1997 model is. He can also save $800 right off the bat by buying locally to avoid shipping, too.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by dave1251

Well, OBVIOUSLY he should not buy an already wrecked, broken, bad tires bad AC 2000+ model like the 1997 model is. He can also save $800 right off the bat by buying locally to avoid shipping, too.

Not really in the market or looking for a used truck. I thought that for $800 (which is probably what it is worth), I could get a fun project and fixer upper. I'm not looking to make it look pristine. Probably some cheap tires and brakes, hopefully get the AC/Heat fixed without too much money.

I'm retired so I have plenty of time. I have plenty of tools, jacks, air tools etc. Not gonna kill myself on this truck, or spend a lot of money on it. A couple of hours wrenching on it in the evening, with some George Strait on, would be therapy to me.

Originally Posted by FADEC

I'm retired so I have plenty of time. I have plenty of tools, jacks, air tools etc. Not gonna kill myself on this truck, or spend a lot of money on it. A couple of hours wrenching on it in the evening, with some George Strait on, would be therapy to me.

That changes the whole dynamics of it. Some people want to wrench on a project, and although I don't, I now understand that is what you are looking for. George Strait is a great choice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJtp_Htkal0

"I Got a Car", LOL

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I've had two free cars gifted to me in the past, both were slightly over priced.

Hah!! Best post yet!

Other than the real dated music this sounds real fun. I bet after you get started you will repair and restore the truck beyond your current plans.

Originally Posted by FADEC
[
Not really in the market or looking for a used truck. I thought that for $800 (which is probably what it is worth), I could get a fun project and fixer upper. I'm not looking to make it look pristine. Probably some cheap tires and brakes, hopefully get the AC/Heat fixed without too much money.

This would be the perfect truck to find some used tires for, and learn to use the HF changer on!

That's just what he told you...he's not a car guy so he doesn't know the half of what it needs. I would pass for sure just based on what he mentioned ie:
AC doesn't just need a condenser if it is an open system, it will need a condenser, accumulator, orifice tube, complete flush, maybe a compressor. Plus the grill and bumper, maybe a hood or fender...and this is assuming the radiator is not also toast from the deer strike, and if it is, did it go into the fan? $$$$ adding up
Windows don't work $
New tires, brakes and fluids. $$$ 23 years old and 130 thousand neglected miles on a 2wd pickup which probably has roached paint?

If you do ALL the work you could still be into it $2500 or more easily and still have a sick engine, trans, or rear end.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but like others here have stated, I too have gotten free cars in the past...and there is a reason they are free.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I've been fixing up my 08 silverado with ebay parts. I check RA but ebay wins with shipping.

I have used a bunch of EBay Amazon trim parts on my 2000 as well as some buddies trucks, no issues whatsoever. Mirror parts also and all work as well as OEM.

So contrary to a lot of the advice you've already got, I'd say go for it! Assuming it's a Silverado, their one of the best looking trucks ever made. I might be a bit partial though, I've got two! A 1989 and a 1990. Both C3500 dually,s, both with 454's. They've been darn good trucks, though the 1990 just lost a rod bearing, that was as much my fault as anything else (too thin of oil for pulling a loaded trailer across the desert). As far as parts go, I always check the local guys against R.A., but for me, O'Reilly usually wins out (Military discount and no shipping costs). Back to yours, if it gets there and it's worse than you thought, you shouldn't have any trouble getting your $800.00 back out of it.

Originally Posted by Blownfuel
So contrary to a lot of the advice you've already got, I'd say go for it! Assuming it's a Silverado, their one of the best looking trucks ever made. I might be a bit partial though, I've got two! A 1989 and a 1990. Both C3500 dually,s, both with 454's. They've been darn good trucks, though the 1990 just lost a rod bearing, that was as much my fault as anything else (too thin of oil for pulling a loaded trailer across the desert). As far as parts go, I always check the local guys against R.A., but for me, O'Reilly usually wins out (Military discount and no shipping costs). Back to yours, if it gets there and it's worse than you thought, you shouldn't have any trouble getting your $800.00 back out of it.

I'm getting it shipped, at the basic rate, so I may have to wait awhile. I don't care though. Fortunately these trucks were very popular, especially in South TX, so lots of parts at pick and pull. Some of the parts are pretty rough though as can be expected of a 23 year old truck.

My brother sent me a picture of the protect o plate in the glove box. 5.7 V8, 3.42 rear end, not locking though. 3 door extended cab, short bed. Bed liner, trailer hitch. White, with blue cloth interior.

UPDATE on the truck:

Visited by brother in TN a few weeks ago and rented a Uhaul dolly and towed it home to TX. Towed great behind my Sierra.

It's actually in better shape than I thought. Starts instantly and runs smooth. No smoke or leaks. Trans shifts smooth and rear end seems solid.

Truck has spent it's entire life in TN and is rust free.

I think I have around $900 in this truck so far, including $400 in new tires and $200 in new grille, headlights etc.

Have been buying most parts on Ebay or Amazon. Parts for this truck are CHEAP!

Everything works except for the flashers (I think stuck button), and AC. Not really worried about AC for now. Inspected the brakes and they and the
IMG_1511(2).JPG
IMG_1428(2).JPG
IMG_3137.jpg
IMG_3136.jpg
hoses look pretty new.

I have replaced a few light bulbs, the blower motor and resister. New front bumper mounts. I changed out the rear end lube, and will do rest of fluids once cooler weather gets here.

Have tie rod ends, window regulator and exterior door handle on order and will do later.

Front bumper is still bent and needs new one to be right. Also hood is tweaked and I'm looking at salvage yards for a good white one.

Really enjoying working on this one. My new favorite tool is my cordless impact wrench!

UPDATE on the truck:

Visited by brother in TN a few weeks ago and rented a Uhaul dolly and towed it home to TX. Towed great behind my Sierra.

It's actually in better shape than I thought. Starts instantly and runs smooth. No smoke or leaks. Trans shifts smooth and rear end seems solid.

Truck has spent it's entire life in TN and is rust free.

I think I have around $900 in this truck so far, including $400 in new tires and $200 in new grille, headlights etc.

Have been buying most parts on Ebay or Amazon. Parts for this truck are CHEAP!

Everything works except for the flashers (I think stuck button), and AC. Not really worried about AC for now. Inspected the brakes and they and theView attachment 27836View attachment 27837View attachment 27838View attachment 27839 hoses look pretty new.

I have replaced a few light bulbs, the blower motor and resister. New front bumper mounts. I changed out the rear end lube, and will do rest of fluids once cooler weather gets here.

Have tie rod ends, window regulator and exterior door handle on order and will do later.

Front bumper is still bent and needs new one to be right. Also hood is tweaked and I'm looking at salvage yards for a good white one.

Really enjoying working on this one. My new favorite tool is my cordless impact wrench!
Sorry, not sure how pictures got in the middle of my post!

Back