The BITOG forum fascination with zero weights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bbhero
Yeah I know... Shell has a 0w40 diesel oil... I actually saw that at Advance Auto parts. Surprised me a bit they actually had that.

The main context of this seemed to be gasoline engines... Not diesel.

I know, I was pointing out that it's simply about suitability, not the Winter rating. M1 0w-30 is perfectly appropriate for where a 5w-30 is called for, and it carries basically all the same approvals, same with the 0w-20 in 5w-20 applications. If somebody DOES want to discuss diesels, well, we just covered that. That's why we have specifications and approvals.

I believe you and I are on the same page here.

The OP seems to start a lot of threads and then sits back for the responses. Instigator is a good word to describe him.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Yeah I know... Shell has a 0w40 diesel oil... I actually saw that at Advance Auto parts. Surprised me a bit they actually had that.

I know, I was pointing out that it's simply about suitability, not the Winter rating. M1 0w-30 is perfectly appropriate for where a 5w-30 is called for, and it carries basically all the same approvals, same with the 0w-20 in 5w-20 applications. If somebody DOES want to discuss diesels, well, we just covered that. That's why we have specifications and approvals.

Yeah we are...

Not unusual either
lol.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Yeah we are...

Not unusual either
lol.gif

cheers3.gif
that's for sure, lol

More of the rampant misunderstanding of what the winter rating means, and from a poster that made a point to admonish us about his knowledge of oil.

Your first clue is that he thinks a 0W rated oil is a "zero weight" per his title.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The OP seems to start a lot of threads and then sits back for the responses. Instigator is a good word to describe him.

Oddly I agree.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Best word to describe him is Trolling for aggravation

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I'm puzzled with the obsession towards retro-adding 0Wxx oils, especially by people with California, Arizona, etc in their profiles.
Please explain.

I am puzzled at your heading and your apparent misunderstanding of oil grades and viscosity.

Here on BITOG and in the industry one usually discusses the oil's viscosity or the ranges of viscosity with respect to the grade.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts

Last edited:
I'm no closer to understanding this near fetish now than before.
If you flush your engine or use a oil heavier than indicated by the manufacturer it be like
"They don't recommend that, follow your owners manual, the engineers test designed for etc"
But putting a lighter oil draws cheers.

Granted there are rationales such as the guy in the Army I knew who twisted the oil pump driveshaft in his 1972 454 Chevelle on a cold night in Fairbanks, Alaska, but really going from a 5W-30 or 10W-30 in the lower 48 to 0W-20, serms to me you're defeating the purpose if engine longevity is the goal. A thinner static film on the rod/main bearings, piston rings, and inside the oil pump seems not a good idea.

Last edited:
On the outside chance you're actually serious, the answer is that unless you're below about -35F or so a random 0W rated oil isn't thinner. In fact it might me thicker. It might be quite a bit thicker.

But this assumes you are serious. The fact that you're not engaging anyone here in an actual conversation but are instead continuing to post gobbledygook makes me think you aren't serious.

If you flush your engine or use a oil heavier than indicated by the manufacturer it be like
"They don't recommend that, follow your owners manual, the engineers test designed for etc"

Granted there are rationales such as the guy in the Army I knew who twisted the oil pump driveshaft in his 1972 454 Chevelle on a cold night in Fairbanks, Alaska, but really going from a 5W-30 or 10W-30 in the lower 48 to 0W-20, serms to me you're defeating the purpose if engine longevity is the goal. A thinner static film on the rod/main bearings, piston rings, and inside the oil pump seems not a good idea.

Yeah right. Why don't you explain that load of misinformation and make some sense. I must be retarded for using Mobil Super Syn 5w20 nd 0w20 multiple oci's eh?

Didn't think so

Do what you want, I'm only trying to understand the rationale.
Is it group think or something else?
BTW to the people upset, I've received warnings for posting a modified 747 flying over NYC and DC on a notable date in history and for using # in place of a very mild expletive. Go ahead and ban me then for merely challenging conventional opinion herein. No big deal.

Do what you want, I'm only trying to understand the rationale.
Is it group think or something else?
BTW to the people upset, I've received warnings for posting a modified 747 flying over NYC and DC on a notable date in history and for using # in place of a very mild expletive. Go ahead and ban me then for merely challenging conventional opinion herein. No big deal.

That's funny. You are NOT trying to "understand". You're more like mocking people here like me and other respected members in warm climates for using a 0w oil. Enough said!!

going from a 5W-30 or 10W-30 in the lower 48 to 0W-20, serms to me you're defeating the purpose if engine longevity is the goal. A thinner static film on the rod/main bearings, piston rings, and inside the oil pump seems not a good idea.

Your premise is incorrect. Until hydrodynamic lubrication occurs, boundary lubrication provides the necessary wear prevention/minimization. All engine oils, regardless of viscosity, have additives that provide boundary lubrication. A 0W-xx oil minimizes engine wear at startup simply because it provides faster hydrodynamic lubrication. Most engine wear occurs at startup. That's why multigrade oils were developed in the first place: to have engine oil that flows well at low temperatures while not becoming too thin at high temperatures.

on the off chance you arent trolling.

I dont understand why you think replacing a 5w30 with a 0w30 is going "lighter"

I'm puzzled with the obsession towards retro-adding 0Wxx oils, especially by people with California, Arizona, etc in their profiles.
Please explain.

There is no "obsession." Most people, including in your own state, simply use the oil recommended by the OEM's, such as in this official Toyota oil chart.

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

Where have you found "0 weight" oils? The lowest viscosity i see on shelves is W-16...

But putting a lighter oil draws cheers..

Yes, it does. It appears you have only been here for a relatively short time, but cheering on the lightest weight oils has been a legacy of this forum. I am not going to rehash it all, but an element of arrogance ensued, with thin weight fans claiming intellectual superiority while looking down their noses at those who saw CAFE for what is was, just a government edict for 0.1% MPG increase. Those who advocted for max protection with 10w-30 and similar were even described as Neanderthals and such, even if they were in AZ or TX during in the summer.

Im running a 2w30 right now or whatever the weight.1:1 M1 0w30 and 5w30 right now. Going up to 3 of 5w30 and 1 of 0w30 for the summer heat. Literally no consumption.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back