2019/2020 VW Jetta GLI

Originally Posted by TCU_Adam
Originally Posted by edyvw
Problem with new GLI is that it is targeting traditional buyers of Civic, Corolla etc. It is cheapen a lot. I am not sure whether GLI has independent rear suspension, but regular versions do not. GTI and Golf R are two that are pretty much same as Euro versions currently.
Generally VW's approach in the US now is going toward more appliance route while keepings Golf GTI and Golf R as two exotic models.

Well they did drop the GTI engine into the GLI starting in 2019. I think if I remember correctly, the GLI beat the GTI when Car and Driver compared them. I know the Autobahn trim has the upgraded suspension but not sure about the S trim.

The new GLI has IRS and the hot 2.0T engine.

Ignore anything MT and C&D have to say.

They have always been in the advertising and car sales business FIRST.

I would watch some youtube video reviews to narrow down your list . Pick a critical reviewer.

Like Matt Moran Motoring or Savagegeese - the original "Mr. Downer" of everything

Avoid TFL cars.

Here is a good Motorweek review including track time video and numbers

14.3 sec at 101 MPH in the quarter mile is blistering. As fast and quick as a Mustang Shelby GT 500 428 CobraJet big block form the late 60's. No Kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0lnVLaO-s8

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by TCU_Adam
Problem with new GLI is that it is targeting traditional buyers of Civic, Corolla etc. It is cheapen a lot. I am not sure whether GLI has independent rear suspension, but regular versions do not. GTI and Golf R are two that are pretty much same as Euro versions currently.
Generally VW's approach in the US now is going toward more appliance route while keepings Golf GTI and Golf R as two exotic models.

Well they did drop the GTI engine into the GLI starting in 2019. I think if I remember correctly, the GLI beat the GTI when Car and Driver compared them. I know the Autobahn trim has the upgraded suspension but not sure about the S trim.

The new GLI has IRS and the hot 2.0T engine.

Ignore anything MT and C&D have to say.

They have always been in the advertising and car sales business FIRST.

I would watch some youtube video reviews to narrow down your list . Pick a critical reviewer.

Like Matt Moran Motoring or Savagegeese - the original "Mr. Downer" of everything

Avoid TFL cars.

Here is a good Motorweek review including track time video and numbers

14.3 sec at 101 MPH in the quarter mile is blistering. As fast and quick as a Mustang Shelby GT 500 428 CobraJet big block form the late 60's. No Kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0lnVLaO-s8

Pardon my ignorance, but what do those companies have to gain by doing comparisons of the same brand? I would think that either way, if they're trying to get people to buy those cars, they'll do it. I understand if you're comparing different car brands but if they're both VW's, what difference does it make?

Thank you for that Youtube video too. I liked that review!

Last edited:
You'll definitely miss having a RWD car! The only cars I've driven that felt right in FWD were the late 80s-early 90s Olds Deltas and Toronados.

Get another Infinity. Every Nissan I ever owned was indestructible.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
You'll definitely miss having a RWD car! The only cars I've driven that felt right in FWD were the late 80s-early 90s Olds Deltas and Toronados.

Get another Infinity. Every Nissan I ever owned was indestructible.

If the G37 didn't have a horrible sunroof leak problem, it would probably be at the top of the list. I've already had to reset the ECM because it got water on it from the leak. How this isn't a recall is beyond me and the dealer wants more than a grand to fix it. It's a shame they stopped making manuals too.

ARCO's review strikes me as a no bee-s straight forward, real world, hands-on long term test. I myself would likely steer well clear of that model if it were me. Sounds laden with issues.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
ARCO's review strikes me as a no bee-s straight forward, real world, hands-on long term test. I myself would likely steer well clear of that model if it were me. Sounds laden with issues.

A lot of the things he listed aren't things I need to worry about because I live in a warm climate. The door/water issue is sort of concerning but I'm already somewhat dealing with that in the Infiniti and maybe that would be covered by warranty. Besides, the youtube video had pretty good reviews.

Well, it seems you have your heart set on it.

Just Like I did in my late teens on a Fairlaine 500 428 BB Cobra Jet. with toploader and 12 bolt.

I bought that and had to deal with tons of issues. Including broken motor mounts, worn pilot bushing and an engine destructing from a slipped piston.pin. I tried to keep up wit the stuff failing, but at some pint I couldnt as a College student needing to commute from Andover to Lowell. I ended up Selling the thing to the son of an Iranian ruler Prince Saleh Hussein. NK ! He blew teh engine and I replaced the 428 with a 390 block from a wagon and put the big CJ heads on that.

Just beware that he front suspension has a terrible issue, where you will get bad
- and might I say - part snapping wheel hop If you spin the tires on a slightly slippery surface of in light rain.

Believe, me when the boost comes on in first the tires go up in smoke, and this is harder to modulate with a turbo under boost.

Sound like fun hi-jinks but it really ruins the party.

Now, VW wont cover the water management issue under warranty, the vehicle is built to its design intent - it's a feature
smile.gif

But my water issue is due more to freezing rain, weird weather and then some pine needles and tree seeds and leaves.

I will say no water ever leaked INTO the car.

Hey its a "hot" car. If you hate it after a year you could sell it privately for a modest loss - if any.

I would go with a 370Z or an Infinity - or even a V6 Dodge Charger w/ some suspension mods.

Or a Old man mid -2000's Maserati GT with a ferrari V8 (that are selling for the same price with low miles)

Have fun anyway! And No tune on that engine ! - it has "enough" power to do much harm on a windy road.
-Ken

Last edited:
Well, it seems you have your heart set on it.

Just Like I did in my late teens on a Fairlaine 500 428 BB Cobra Jet. with toploader and 12 bolt.

I bought that and had to deal with tons of issues. Including broken motor mounts, worn pilot bushing and an engine destructing from a slipped piston.pin. I tried to keep up wit the stuff failing, but at some pint I couldnt as a College student needing to commute from Andover to Lowell. I ended up Selling the thing to the son of an Iranian ruler Prince Saleh Hussein. NK ! He blew teh engine and I replaced the 428 with a 390 block from a wagon and put the big CJ heads on that.

Just beware that he front suspension has a terrible issue, where you will get bad
- and might I say - part snapping wheel hop If you spin the tires on a slightly slippery surface of in light rain.

Believe, me when the boost comes on in first the tires go up in smoke, and this is harder to modulate with a turbo under boost.

Sound like fun hi-jinks but it really ruins the party.

Now, VW wont cover the water management issue under warranty, the vehicle is built to its design intent - it's a feature
smile.gif

But my water issue is due more to freezing rain, weird weather and then some pine needles and tree seeds and leaves.

I will say no water ever leaked INTO the car.

Hey its a "hot" car. If you hate it after a year you could sell it privately for a modest loss - if any.

I would go with a 370Z or an Infinity - or even a V6 Dodge Charger w/ some suspension mods.

Or a Old man mid -2000's Maserati GT with a ferrari V8 (that are selling for the same price with low miles)

Have fun anyway! And No tune on that engine ! - it has "enough" power to do much harm on a windy road.
-Ken

I'd be lying if I didn't say it was the leader in the clubhouse. It's going to come down to the test drive. If it goes well, I'm all in, if not, it's back to the drawing board.

Or a Old man mid -2000's Maserati GT with a ferrari V8 (that are selling for the same price...

Ah, NO. You do NOT want a Maserati of any sort.

I've read pretty extensively about just how unreliable and white-hot-maintenance intensive a mid 2000's Maser is... starting FIRST with their very-common CambioCorsa / DuoSelect single-clutch automated manual transaxle... making the cars HARDER to drive properly, smoothly - than compared to their stiff-clutch, recalcitrant 6MT. That is, WHEN they're actually running.

NO,.you do not want a Maserati... ...

Dude, I'm telling you. Go look at a new WRX.

For sport sedans, they can't be beat, in bang-for-buck category. And the symmetrical, low-CG nature of the powertrain is unique.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

For sport sedans, they can't be beat, in bang-for-buck category. And the symmetrical, low-CG nature of the powertrain is unique.

And CVT, the quintessential part of every sports car!

I agree.
I read through it and as much as anyone might sense a negative slant to VW in general, I see he posted other VW's he's had through the years. ARCO's specifics lend solid creditability and should be appreciated by anyone considering that car. It's exactly the kind of stuff I like to find before considering other purchases and gives a heads-up as being a looki out. It doesn't mean we all have the same hot buttons or nits. That car may impress some people with other traits it has.
Over all, that review seemed to define a car that's built to a price in my interpretation. But then again, didn't VW drop some price points and make some cars if not specifically the Jetta more affordable as their intent in recent years ? If so, it is built to a price and the compromises probably win some and lose some.
I also have a feeling ARCO wanted to like that car.
There are plenty of things you don't find out until living with a car a while but other things pop out almost right away or on a long test drive to the perceptive critic or shopper.
Looking past a few things to take a gamble is made for leasing though.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted by bachman

I agree.
I read through it and as much as anyone might sense a negative slant to VW in general, I see he posted other VW's he's had through the years. ARCO's specifics lend solid creditability and should be appreciated by anyone considering that car. ...

ARCO has the worst luck with cars of anyone I've ever "met". Based on his posting history he'd find multiple problems with anything...

I actually own a Jetta and think he's full of rubbish, and yes I've owned multiple VW's in the past. I'd also like to see his "12 bolt" in his Fairlane 500...
smirk2.gif

I will agree with ARCOGraphite on one thing...he hates his Jetta S and I absolutely detested the black on black Jetta S I had a service loaner. The seat heater in my 17 Jetta stopped working, and I had a 19 Jetta S loaner for a week. I hated the cheap interior, the cheap looking seats, detested the flinty ride and cup holders that don't fit the bottled iced tea I was drinking at that time. I swore there was no earthly way I'd ever get rid of the 17 and get into the 19 model. Things changed, my future son in law needed a car and I sold him the '17. A GLI is SO different than a base Jetta S. The ventilated, perforated leather seats, glass instrument cluster, big sunroof (with obligatory cold weather rattle) just make it feel like an A4, not a cheap little econobox. Even the awkward stance of the normal Jetta disappears with the lowered suspension and bigger wheels. Mine lives in a garage at home and at work, never had an issue with water or ice getting places it doesn't belong. All in all, I like to think of the GLI as an Olds 98, an A4 is a Cadillac DeVille...get 90% of the features in the Cadillac for 60% of the money.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

And CVT, the quintessential part of every sports car!

OP said in 1st post that he wants a manual only. Which is available in the WRX. In fact, it has one of the highest take rates for a manual of any car.

Along with Savagegeese. I like Redline Reviews...
But I always base my purchase on personally test driving/touching/seeing up close first.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
I will agree with ARCOGraphite on one thing...he hates his Jetta S and I absolutely detested the black on black Jetta S I had a service loaner. The seat heater in my 17 Jetta stopped working, and I had a 19 Jetta S loaner for a week. I hated the cheap interior, the cheap looking seats, detested the flinty ride and cup holders that don't fit the bottled iced tea I was drinking at that time. I swore there was no earthly way I'd ever get rid of the 17 and get into the 19 model. Things changed, my future son in law needed a car and I sold him the '17. A GLI is SO different than a base Jetta S. The ventilated, perforated leather seats, glass instrument cluster, big sunroof (with obligatory cold weather rattle) just make it feel like an A4, not a cheap little econobox. Even the awkward stance of the normal Jetta disappears with the lowered suspension and bigger wheels. Mine lives in a garage at home and at work, never had an issue with water or ice getting places it doesn't belong. All in all, I like to think of the GLI as an Olds 98, an A4 is a Cadillac DeVille...get 90% of the features in the Cadillac for 60% of the money.

Do you think it's worth shelling out a couple to a few extra thousand to get the Autobahn trim?

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

I actually own a Jetta and think he's full of rubbish, and yes I've owned multiple VW's in the past. I'd also like to see his "12 bolt" in his Fairlane 500...
smirk2.gif

Sorry meant 9"
smile.gif
I also had a 67 Chevelle SS 396 later. Hard to get that out of my mind.
These cars were under 1000 bucks used back in the late 70's. Not anymore.

Other than the engine being worn, never had failures on the Chevy like the 69 Ford.

NO, I'm not full of rubbish. It's my take. Take it or leave it.
Being a mech and mech E I tend to notice things the average Joe doesnt.

If you want to argue points, do it.
I see no adult argument when you result to name calling.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

Or a Old man mid -2000's Maserati GT with a ferrari V8 (that are selling for the same price...

Ah, NO. You do NOT want a Maserati of any sort.

I've read pretty extensively about just how unreliable and white-hot-maintenance intensive a mid 2000's Maser is... starting FIRST with their very-common CambioCorsa / DuoSelect single-clutch automated manual transaxle... making the cars HARDER to drive properly, smoothly - than compared to their stiff-clutch, recalcitrant 6MT. That is, WHEN they're actually running.

NO,.you do not want a Maserati... ...

Ive spent lots of time on maser forums when i was loooking at a quattroporte. The ZF auto used in most of the world's great cars seems pretty strong, the engine easy to maintain and bulletproof.

The other niggles - like quick wearing rear suspension bushings - you just have to deal with.

If you want a fantastic Ferrari engine in a fantastic looking coupe for 28 large.

But, its and old guys dream, not a kids dream.

[Linked Image]

Back