Black Silicone ADBV?

Denso's aftermarket oil filters feature a black-colored ADBV. We usually associate black ADBV's to be nitrile, not silicone. However, the Denso website clearly states their filters feature silicone ADBV's:

https://densoautoparts.com/filters-oil-filters.aspx

I e-mailed Denso and they replied stating that the color of the ADBV does not matter and their filters have silicone ADBV's.

Is there any way to verify the material of the ADBV?

Buy one cut it open and take a look for yourself, or if you've got a temperature controlled soldering iron I guess you could set it to like 200C and press it up against the adbv through the holes if it melts it's nitrile if it doesn't it's silicone.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Is there any way to verify the material of the ADBV?

Cut one open and put the ADBV in the freezer. If it is still very pliable at -20 F then it's silicone.

If Denso says it's silicone, then it probably is silicone.

Same thing with Viton O rings, they can be any color and the same durometer. People sometimes incorrectly associate color with performance or compatibility eg blue = methanol/E85, red/brown = high temp, green = A/C use and black for common cheap rings.
Bosch uses white for the ADBV on some filters.

Color is absolutely zero indication of materials of construction.
But color is a mighty good marketing feature/technique.

I believe Denso when they state silicone.
No matter what the color.

Originally Posted by The Critic

I e-mailed Denso and they replied stating that the color of the ADBV does not matter and their filters have silicone ADBV's.

I emailed Denso several months ago about this and was also told they're using silicone ADBV.

I can't remember who, but there's a board member that has something fierce against Denso (or so it seems) that I've gone rounds with on this issue more than once which led to the email.

The last Denso I cut open had one of the most pliable ADBVs I've encountered yet. I have another one in the garage waiting to be cut open, should get to it this weekend.

filters feature a black-colored ADBV. We usually associate black ADBV's to be nitrile, not silicone. However, the Denso website clearly states their filters feature silicone ADBV's: https://densoautoparts.com/filters-oil-filters.aspx I e-mailed Denso and they replied stating that the color of the ADBV does not matter and their filters have silicone ADBV's. Is there any way to verify the material of the ADBV?
I wonder what material the purple ones are made of? :devilish:
If you are referring to Royal Purple filters then its a silicone ADBV.

Back