Silicone vs. Nitrile ADBV

pbm

It seems some filter manufacturers add a silicone ADBV to an identical filter and charge much more and extend the mileage usage recommendation. Supertech's $3.38 10K filter appears to be identical to their $5.90 20K filter except for the addition of the silicone ADBV....STP's 5K filter seems identical to their 10K filter except for the addition of the silicone ADBV.
If you are changing your oil every 4 months/7.5K does the silicone ADBV really matter when everything else about the filter is equal?

I would say nitrile is fine for the average Joe’s OCI of 5-6k under average driving conditions. If he wants to go severe, or long term filter changes, the I would go silicone. Heat cycling is the nitrile rubbers worst enemy.

GM oil filters are nitrile and are good for the OLM interval typically 7,500 miles. Toyota is the same as well as many other manufacturers.

Now I don't recommend 7.5K intervals, but if the filter is rated for it then there shouldn't be any problems at all. Supertech filters are Champ filters, the same as GM AC Delco and they are good filters.

The only ADBV that I noticed to suffer from oil exposure were the ones you didn't replace: after 10 years and associated mileage they had swollen, but not to the point they weren't functional. Some people forgot to put the ADBV on the new filter and tossed it, their engines also lived....

The real question is :
Does your vehicle need a filter with a ADBV . I never had a vehicle that needed one .

It seems some filter manufacturers add a silicone ADBV to an identical filter and charge much more and extend the mileage usage recommendation.
Can't really conclude the media is exactly the same by looking at it. Even if it is the same, is the total area the same? The media area can effect the efficiency and holding capacity (ie, use mileage).

The real question is :
Does your vehicle need a filter with a ADBV . I never had a vehicle that needed one .
An ADBV keeps oil in the oiling system when the engine is off. Not many engines specify a filrer without one.

The only ADBV that I noticed to suffer from oil exposure were the ones you didn't replace: after 10 years and associated mileage they had swollen, but not to the point they weren't functional. Some people forgot to put the ADBV on the new filter and tossed it, their engines also lived....
Replace the ADBV?

Replace the ADBV?

Yes it was attached to the oil filter insert on the Hyundai diesel engines, and also on some Iveco diesels. Though on the iveco the ADBV was renewed every time IIRC. Definitely not on the Hyundai.

I asked the parts guy to prder new ADBV to replace the stretched ones but apparently they only came with an entire now housing assembly

Yes it was attached to the oil filter insert on the Hyundai diesel engines, and also on some Iveco diesels. Though on the iveco the ADBV was renewed every time IIRC. Definitely not on the Hyundai.

I asked the parts guy to prder new ADBV to replace the stretched ones but apparently they only came with an entire now housing assembly
Seems like a rare setup. Also, a possible negative factor with cartridge oil filters depending on the built-in ADBV design and material.

Last edited:
It seems some filter manufacturers add a silicone ADBV to an identical filter and charge much more and extend the mileage usage recommendation. Supertech's $3.38 10K filter appears to be identical to their $5.90 20K filter except for the addition of the silicone ADBV....STP's 5K filter seems identical to their 10K filter except for the addition of the silicone ADBV.
If you are changing your oil every 4 months/7.5K does the silicone ADBV really matter when everything else about the filter is equal?
The regular STP blue filters now have the orange Silicone valve just like the XL filters.

I prefer the silicone over Nitrile but, as mentioned by others, the Nitrile is usually fine for regular OCI's but not good for extended OCI's. My personal opinion is the 5-6k mile OCI's are fine with Nitrile...longer than that I would want only Silicone. I am not an expert but I would also think that time plays a factor as well so if you change oil once a year or have a classic car that is parked unused for long periods I would think a silcone ADBV would also be preferred since nitrile can harden up where a silicone won't. I might be wrong.

Reactions: pbm
GM oil filters are nitrile and are good for the OLM interval typically 7,500 miles. Toyota is the same as well as many other manufacturers.

Now I don't recommend 7.5K intervals, but if the filter is rated for it then there shouldn't be any problems at all. Supertech filters are Champ filters, the same as GM AC Delco and they are good filters.
Recent Toyota filters I cut open all have black silicone anti-drainback valves, some of them were olive green colored on the YZZN1 filters, but the YZZD3 ones were black.

I think Nitrile is fine for timely oil change intervals as directed by vehicle manual. I've run lots of el-cheapo filters on my former Honda Accord without dry start issues.

Reactions: pbm
So what are the main benefits of silicone over nitrile rubber?

I had thought it was because the silicone resists heat better, but does it also stay more pliable in extreme cold?

Or does it simply stay pliable for longer, accounting for the extended intervals as shown in the previous video?

In what situations would you need silicone instead of rubber?

Other than cost, are there any scenarios where nitrile rubber is actually the preferred media for ADBVs?

I’m using St 20k blue can filters with silicone ADBV. Good enough for stuff I maintain and friends stuf.

Back