How to identify a Silicone vs Nitrile ADBV

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most cases nitrile is black, silicone is usually red/orange. Royal Purple has a purple silicone ADBV of course.

Originally Posted By: slybunda
Mann europe uses white adbv. What would that be made from?

Any color besides black is usually silicone.

Originally Posted By: Todari09
Denso uses Black ADBV but they are silicone, they claim.

For the Denso's First Time Fit filters?
That would be news to me.

This is some info. on nitrile rubber. The Mann white adbv may be what they say is HNBR for high temp as it has white filler. They would do something extra like that. Like most things who makes it makes the difference in quality. They can make these things whatever color they want. For oil filters red or orange always seems to mean silicone, but it can be black, purple, whatever they want. I guess the only real way is to look at the advertising. There is nothing wrong with nitrile when made by a company like Parker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrile_rubber

goodtimes
I didn't read anything positive in that Wiki link, in relation to their nitrile in ADBV applications.
Can you please quote a sentence or two that backs your claim.

If anything, I read something negative.
...this form of synthetic rubber is unusual in being generally resistant to oil, fuel, and other chemicals (the more nitrile within the polymer, the higher the resistance to oils.... but the lower the flexibility of the material).

Also, there's no mention of heat resistance and that usually means something negative too.

Personally, I haven't purchased nitrile ADBVs in a few decades. Silicone is usually only 2-3 bucks more and I can run them for two OCIs without worry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
goodtimes
I didn't read anything positive in that Wiki link, in relation to their nitrile in ADBV applications.
Can you please quote a sentence or two that backs your claim.

If anything, I read something negative.
...this form of synthetic rubber is unusual in being generally resistant to oil, fuel, and other chemicals (the more nitrile within the polymer, the higher the resistance to oils.... but the lower the flexibility of the material).

Also, there's no mention of heat resistance and that usually means something negative too.

Personally, I haven't purchased nitrile ADBVs in a few decades. Silicone is usually only 2-3 bucks more and I can run them for two OCIs without worry.

1. Nitrile is referenced throughout the article as being used in critical industrial applications. ADBV's should be OK too.
2. Go to HNBR where they talk about high temp, which is why I speculate the Mann white adbv is high temp nitrile.
3. I'm not arguing anything about which is better, nitrile or silicone.

I dont know what a first time fit filter is but i just cut open a used OEM toyota denso filter and it had a black ADBV that I believe was silicone. It was super flexible and stretchy.

See, that is my question: other than going by what the manufacturer claims, there appears to be no way to identify the material. The color is not a clear indicator.
And the manufacturer could change its specs at any time: new rev comes out and they decide to use silicone , but all the old stock still uses nitrile rubber.
Its a puzzle for me.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
See, that is my question: other than going by what the manufacturer claims, there appears to be no way to identify the material. The color is not a clear indicator.
And the manufacturer could change its specs at any time: new rev comes out and they decide to use silicone , but all the old stock still uses nitrile rubber.
Its a puzzle for me.

If it's a silicone ADBV, the manufacturer will certainly say so on the box or on their website since that's an advertising/selling plus over nitrile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back