VW Atlas Oil Change

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Originally Posted by kschachn
Use an oil that has the actual approval required for your vehicle and ignore grade as it is irrelevant.

Also don't troll the board.

What about his post is trolling?

Looking for oil for a VW ( normal) then immediately saying I'm going to use LUCAS 0W30 (very esoteric).

I'm sure the oil will work fine, Lucas motorsport products are well formulated, it's their big box automotive "additives" that are garbage.

I guess you got to sell a lot of junk to make the good stuff.

No VW approval, but I'm sure the oil will work fine if it has correct min HTHS.

Why would it NOT? Are these VW gas engines ticking time bombs that will explode on a whiff of "Mercun" oil?
If so, they are junk.

The Op will have to assume that risk if the engine has a warranty issue that is lubricant related.

I think he has been schooled on that.

Esoteric? How was I intending anything I said to be understood only by a chosen few? I was saying that I was going to use oil "X" before I stumbled down this rabbit hole. Not that I am going to use oil "X" regardless of the advice I receive here? I have received a lot of helpful advice in the replys. Tough crowd.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by jfrankh
The Lucas Oil techincal data sheet has VW 502-00 compliant. Lucas 0W-30
Its one of the only 0W-30 that I found that has the 502. Most of the other ones are 5W-30. Even most of the websites that have a "find the right oil tool" point me to 5W-30 thats VW 504-00. Who knew changing oil would be this convoluted. LOL

Technically it is a "self-compliance", not actual certification from VW. Note their language (pioneered by Amsoil marketing): "Exceeds performance...." That specific oil is not licensed by API either.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResults?accountId=-1&companyName=Lucas

You might get exposed to the Corona virus using product from Corona, CA

Thanks. I wasn't aware they could manipulate their regulations like that. But I guess saying "meets or exceeds" gives the impression that its approved when its not.

Actually you cannot have "self-compliance" in this instance because it is not a certification, it is an approval. Lucas isn't manipulating anything as much as they are attempting to obfuscate.

What makes it doubly silly is that I bet the price for that Lucas product is higher than a real 502 00 approved oil such as Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40 at Walmart.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I didn't intend to troll anyone? I'm sincerely looking for advice.

No worries.
Go to local Wal Mart and get Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40 FS.
What you should pay attention is VW502.00 approval. That could be anything 0W30, 5W30, 0W40 or 5W40, and in very rare cases 10W40.
VW created confusion with 0W30 designation which looks like copy/paste from manual from B7 and B8 Audi S4.
You can most definiately get Castrol Edge 0W30 (which was original fill in Audi S4) on Amazon (I actually use it in my Tiguan) but regular price is around $60 for 6qt (I got it on sale).
My preference? I would go Castrol Edge 0W40 from Wal mart.
Filter? VW, MANN, Mahle or Hengst. If you stumble upon WIX you can get that too as it is rebadged MANN filter.
Lucas is not approved for VW. Stay away from oils like that or any additives. Again, Castrol Edge 0W40 is approved oil, it has really good performance parameters.
In case you want to venture to other oils anything with VW 502.00 will do the trick. However, try always to look for oil that in addition to VW 502.00 has also MB 229.5 approval as that is pretty much gold standard for Euro gassers.

Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity, why would you choose 0w-40 over 30?

Because it's been the gold-standard (40w either 5W40 or 0W40) for a long time on VWs and is super-easy to find That's my answer..hahaha. Not very scientific.

Because it's been the gold-standard (40w either 5W40 or 0W40) for a long time on VWs and is super-easy to find That's my answer..hahaha. Not very scientific.

Plus the fact that the VW approval requires a minimum HTHS and can straddle those two grades. Your choice of being "super-easy to find" is a good one.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
If it was my vehicle I would use 504 oil, probably Mobil 1 ESP. 502 is ok too, but not my preference.

What about 504 over 502 pulls you that way? Just curious.

lower saps, higher wear resistance, harder spec to meet. The oils that meet 504 and especially ones that also meet 229.51, LL04, C30, are really good oils.

If it was my vehicle I would use 504 oil, probably Mobil 1 ESP. 502 is ok too, but not my preference.

lower saps, higher wear resistance, harder spec to meet. The oils that meet 504 and especially ones that also meet 229.51, LL04, C30, are really good oils.

I'd be curious how a 504 would look in mine over the same 7.5K interval. Mine actually says 502 only - no 504 in the manual/underhood sticker.

I'd be curious how a 504 would look in mine over the same 7.5K interval. Mine actually says 502 only - no 504 in the manual/underhood sticker.

What year?

They didn't start adding 504 until 2018 I believe.

No worries.
What you should pay attention is VW502.00 approval. That could be anything 0W30, 5W30, 0W40 or 5W40, and in very rare cases 10W40.
VW created confusion with 0W30 designation which looks like copy/paste from manual from B7 and B8 Audi S4.
You can most definiately get Castrol Edge 0W30 (which was original fill in Audi S4) on Amazon (I actually use it in my Tiguan) but regular price is around $60 for 6qt (I got it on sale).
Filter? VW, MANN, Mahle or Hengst. If you stumble upon WIX you can get that too as it is rebadged MANN filter.
Lucas is not approved for VW. Stay away from oils like that or any additives. Again, Castrol Edge 0W40 is approved oil, it has really good performance parameters.
In case you want to venture to other oils anything with VW 502.00 will do the trick. However, try always to look for oil that in addition to VW 502.00 has also MB 229.5 approval as that is pretty much gold standard for Euro gassers.

Because you should not worry about grade, you need to worry about VW502.00. What matters is minimum HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) which for VW502.00 is 3.5cp.
0W30 and 0W40 are very, very similar oils. Only difference is bit thicker 0W40 with HTHS of 3.7cp compared to 3.58cp in 0W30. However, kinematic viscosity is very similar. W40 oils start at 12.5cst. KV100 of 0W30 is 12.2, which makes it almost W40 oil. KV100 of 0W40 oil is 13.1. That means that at 100c difference in cst between those two oils is only 7-8%. Why to get 0W40? Unless you can find Castrol Edge 0W30 on sale, IMO it is not worth of $60 for 6qt. I got 6qt on sale on Amazon for $38. In that case, yeah, get 0W30. But paying $60 for 0W30 when you can find 0W40 for $25 for 5qt in Wal Mart is really not justifiable.
Again, remember VW502.00 is the ONLY thing that matters.

No worries.

Gold standard was always and it still is Castrol Edge 0W30.

Gold standard was always and it still is Castrol Edge 0W30.

What makes 0w30 more of the gold standard vs the 0w40 when both the castrol variants are almost the same? I've been trying to figure out which one has the advantage as well. I have both in my garage and alternate them depending on what is easier to get and most of the time, 0w40 was easier and cheaper due to the 5 quart bottles. The 0w30 has lower noack, but slightly thinner than the 40w. Seems like it's splitting hairs but I'd say slight advantage for 0w30 on cleanliness in valves / engine and marginally "better" protection from aggressive driving with the 0w40 due to slightly heavier HTHS? PAO content seems the same as well.

I been using GC 0w30 (green version) on my LL01 bmws since 2002, and when that went out I bounced between 0w30 and 0w40 GC / BC.

Last edited:
I ended up getting Liqui Moly High Tech 5w-40. It is VW 502.00 and 229.5. It was the only oil at my local Advanced that met both requirements. And not for nothing but it was on sale for $35 for 5L, which I thought was resonable. Also went with a Napa Gold/Wix filter. Liqui Moly seems like a well reviewed company from my little bit of research. Now the fun part and trying not to break any of these silly plastic retainers getting to the filter. LOL

I ended up getting Liqui Moly High Tech 5w-40. It is VW 502.00 and 229.5. It was the only oil at my local Advanced that met both requirements. And not for nothing but it was on sale for $35 for 5L, which I thought was resonable. Also went with a Napa Gold/Wix filter. Liqui Moly seems like a well reviewed company from my little bit of research. Now the fun part and trying not to break any of these silly plastic retainers getting to the filter. LOL

I think LM is a solid choice but it gets beat up here on BITOG based on it's price and their marketing.

[/quote]Gold standard was always and it still is Castrol Edge 0W30.[/quote]

I'll stand by my comment/opinion. 5W40 VW502 00 seems to be the most commonly recommended, discussed, and available/used by dealers oil for modern VWs. Note I did not say "best"...I have no idea what the best oil is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Lucky you no VW 508 like 18-20 Tiguan which is hard to get outside dealer or parts suppliers at the moment with only 3-4 brands available.

For sure. You can easily online order kits from the Euro retailers (ECS, FCP Euro) though - delivered to your door in a few days so not really drama.

I got a case of (6qts) VW Genuine' 0W20 vw508.00 / OEM oil filter and drain plug at my VW dealership for $65. Or, you can visit the ESC,FCP Euro sites like mentioned by TiGeo. It isn't difficult at all.

Last edited:
OP, not to be used as a direct comparison but it gives you an idea of the performance values of these two approvals...

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

No worries.

This is not correct. OP, I have an Atlas the same vehicle as you. There was a misprint in the earlier manuals. The correct grade is 0W-30 with the 504.00 certification. Pennzoil Platnium Euro LX 0W-30 can be found easily ONLINE at Advance Auto for $9/QT and Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 ONLINE at Walmart for about the same price. If you have any doubts, VW now carries the correct specification in the Mobil variety at the dealership (becoming Widely available). You can also find the VW specifications at Porsche and Audi dealerships in the Mobil 1 variety. If you cannot find the 0W-30, you can use the 5W-30. Mobil 1 FS Euro will just clog your valvetrain with carbon buildup and trigger your check engine light in less than 30k miles.

I am changing the oil in my 19' VW Atlas. The owners manual says 0W-30 VW 502-00. The sticker under the hood says VW 502-00 or VW 504-00. I've researched all the threads on this site in regards to 18' Atlas' and the confusion people have about which oil to use.
I was going to buy Lucas Oil 0W-30 VW 502-00 and haven't decided on a filter yet. Should I entertain the thoughts in a couple threads on this site and use 5W-30 instead? Any thoughts on the best filter? Any thoughts on Lucas in a foreign car? My owners manual only mentions 5W-30 and VW 504-00 as in case of emergency and need to add oil. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please find my post from Today 3/3.

I'd stay away from Lucas. I started a another thread where I was the first to post that VW was moving away from Castrol and was flamed as mis informed. Months later I guess people are realizing the truth.

By the way, the OEM is actually a pretty good filter. I think made by Fram or maybe MANN filters.

Good luck to you.

504.00 or 507.00 is ok. The 2018's manuals/hood stickers were printed before the correction. They corrected it for late 2019 and later. This was a error since VW group including Audi and Porsche are moving toward the same oil weights and specs across brand. Only the RS and Porsche High performance models (GTS/turbo..etc) will spec 0W40 weights.

I have 7900k on my 504.00 and it's still golden in color. No tailpipe soot or anything. It's unbelievable how clean it burns.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by PimTac
Find out what the dealer uses in their shop. 100 to 1 it's not Lucas.

Indeed, a VW dealer better not be using an oil that has no VW approval.

They do all the time. They will often put the wrong grade in as well. Both local VW dealerships nearby me have been using NON-VW certified Pennzoil 0w-20 for ALL maintenance package and Bulk oil change specials. One was a AutoNation delearship. They do this for engines calling for 0/5-40 and 30. The only care about the $$$. Must've caught attention because they are now beginning to stock the new 504/507/508.

Back