VW Atlas Oil Change

I am changing the oil in my 19' VW Atlas. The owners manual says 0W-30 VW 502-00. The sticker under the hood says VW 502-00 or VW 504-00. I've researched all the threads on this site in regards to 18' Atlas' and the confusion people have about which oil to use.
I was going to buy Lucas Oil 0W-30 VW 502-00 and haven't decided on a filter yet. Should I entertain the thoughts in a couple threads on this site and use 5W-30 instead? Any thoughts on the best filter? Any thoughts on Lucas in a foreign car? My owners manual only mentions 5W-30 and VW 504-00 as in case of emergency and need to add oil. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Standard-issue 5W40 VW502 00 is fine. It's what my dealer uses everytime in my 18. It's what I'll use when I start DIYing the changes. Use a VW/Mann filter. You can buy a complete Liquimoly kit from ECS or FCP Euro for $70 delivered. This is just VW weirdness w/r to the inconsistent oil info. Approvals...its all that matters. A 502 or 504 is fine. They prefer use of thinner oils for mpgs and that's the origin of the 0W30.

Last edited:
Use an oil that has the actual approval required for your vehicle and ignore grade as it is irrelevant.

Also don't troll the board.

I have never used Lucas oil or any of their additives in anything even though you can get that stuff everywhere.

The Lucas Oil techincal data sheet has VW 502-00 compliant. Lucas 0W-30
Its one of the only 0W-30 that I found that has the 502. Most of the other ones are 5W-30. Even most of the websites that have a "find the right oil tool" point me to 5W-30 thats VW 504-00. Who knew changing oil would be this convoluted. LOL

Originally Posted by jfrankh
I didn't intend to troll anyone? I'm sincerely looking for advice.

No worries.
Go to local Wal Mart and get Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40 FS.
What you should pay attention is VW502.00 approval. That could be anything 0W30, 5W30, 0W40 or 5W40, and in very rare cases 10W40.
VW created confusion with 0W30 designation which looks like copy/paste from manual from B7 and B8 Audi S4.
You can most definiately get Castrol Edge 0W30 (which was original fill in Audi S4) on Amazon (I actually use it in my Tiguan) but regular price is around $60 for 6qt (I got it on sale).
My preference? I would go Castrol Edge 0W40 from Wal mart.
Filter? VW, MANN, Mahle or Hengst. If you stumble upon WIX you can get that too as it is rebadged MANN filter.
Lucas is not approved for VW. Stay away from oils like that or any additives. Again, Castrol Edge 0W40 is approved oil, it has really good performance parameters.
In case you want to venture to other oils anything with VW 502.00 will do the trick. However, try always to look for oil that in addition to VW 502.00 has also MB 229.5 approval as that is pretty much gold standard for Euro gassers.

Its one of the only 0W-30 that I found that has the 502. Most of the other ones are 5W-30. Even most of the websites that have a "find the right oil tool" point me to 5W-30 thats VW 504-00. Who knew changing oil would be this convoluted. LOL

Technically it is a "self-compliance", not actual certification from VW. Note their language (pioneered by Amsoil marketing): "Exceeds performance...." That specific oil is not licensed by API either.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResults?accountId=-1&companyName=Lucas

You might get exposed to the Corona virus using product from Corona, CA

Last edited:

As I said above this oil does not carry the necessary approval/is not on the list I posted. It's only as convoluted as you make it. We are here to help. Go to about any Walmart and grab some Castrol or M1 0W40 with the VW502 00 approval and you're set. Approval>weight.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Technically it is a "self-compliance", not actual certification from VW. Note their language (pioneered by Amsoil marketing): "Exceeds performance...." That specific oil is not licensed by API either.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResults?accountId=-1&companyName=Lucas

You might get exposed to the Corona virus using product from Corona, CA

It's like the oils that are "recommended for". Tricky!

Originally Posted by kschachn
Use an oil that has the actual approval required for your vehicle and ignore grade as it is irrelevant.

What about his post is trolling?

Lucky you no VW 508 like 18-20 Tiguan which is hard to get outside dealer or parts suppliers at the moment with only 3-4 brands available.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Lucky you no VW 508 like 18-20 Tiguan which is hard to get outside dealer or parts suppliers at the moment with only 3-4 brands available.

For sure. You can easily online order kits from the Euro retailers (ECS, FCP Euro) though - delivered to your door in a few days so not really drama.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Find out what the dealer uses in their shop. 100 to 1 it's not Lucas.

Indeed, a VW dealer better not be using an oil that has no VW approval.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Originally Posted by kschachn

What about his post is trolling?

Looking for oil for a VW ( normal) then immediately saying I'm going to use LUCAS 0W30 (very esoteric).

I'm sure the oil will work fine, Lucas motorsport products are well formulated, it's their big box automotive "additives" that are garbage.

I guess you got to sell a lot of junk to make the good stuff.

No VW approval, but I'm sure the oil will work fine if it has correct min HTHS.

Why would it NOT? Are these VW gas engines ticking time bombs that will explode on a whiff of "Mercun" oil?
If so, they are junk.

The Op will have to assume that risk if the engine has a warranty issue that is lubricant related.

I think he has been schooled on that.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
If it was my vehicle I would use 504 oil, probably Mobil 1 ESP. 502 is ok too, but not my preference.

What about 504 over 502 pulls you that way? Just curious.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I didn't intend to troll anyone? I'm sincerely looking for advice.

No worries.
Go to local Wal Mart and get Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40 FS.
What you should pay attention is VW502.00 approval. That could be anything 0W30, 5W30, 0W40 or 5W40, and in very rare cases 10W40.
VW created confusion with 0W30 designation which looks like copy/paste from manual from B7 and B8 Audi S4.
You can most definiately get Castrol Edge 0W30 (which was original fill in Audi S4) on Amazon (I actually use it in my Tiguan) but regular price is around $60 for 6qt (I got it on sale).
My preference? I would go Castrol Edge 0W40 from Wal mart.
Filter? VW, MANN, Mahle or Hengst. If you stumble upon WIX you can get that too as it is rebadged MANN filter.
Lucas is not approved for VW. Stay away from oils like that or any additives. Again, Castrol Edge 0W40 is approved oil, it has really good performance parameters.
In case you want to venture to other oils anything with VW 502.00 will do the trick. However, try always to look for oil that in addition to VW 502.00 has also MB 229.5 approval as that is pretty much gold standard for Euro gassers.

Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity, why would you choose 0w-40 over 30?

Back