How long to wait before asking guy to pick up his car?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Nick1994
So.... Contact him? Tell him he owes you the storage fees and to come pick it up within 30 days. Otherwise, file for an abandoned title and get rid of it.

Why? If I can keep collecting $100 a month. I would be a year or two before the value would drop below the storage payments.

You do realize that you're collecting nothing, don't you?

You've not received one dollar. The buyer has paid zero.

And you've had this arrangement for over two years?

You're not going to get paid for the storage.

Ever.

Last edited:
What a strange situation.

You sold a car but the buyer never took possession and it appears he never will and has not contacted the seller in over a year.

Who owns the car now? Can the seller sell it again?

I'd think you could deduct the storage fees from the monies already paid and then once that goes zero, the car reverts back to the seller. I'd think the seller would also have to make reasonable efforts to contact the buyer throughout this.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
OP, if your in Virginia, you needed to contact him after he was in default for 10 days. There are laws regarding storage to protect both the customer and the storage bussiness. There is a process to be followed which you didn't follow.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodepopularnames/virginia-self-service-storage-act/

Yes it's stored in VA but it's not a storage business so that link doesn't apply. If it comes to it, it is a simple abandoned vehicle on private property. I'll send him an email in a few months asking about his intentions. If no reply, a certified letter. It nothing still, pursue an abandoned car title. Should be able to get $5-6K for it.

I can't read any more of this...though I will. These posts are to me what soaps are to my mom, I guess.

Your whole story, including the sale and now your absurd plan to get paid for the extended period of storage, simply doesn't make any logical sense.The only sound thing for you to do is contact the buy immediately and often, and aggressively pursue going after abandonment as soon as possible.

For the OP's sake, I hope he at least has this thing insured until it's out from under his roof.

//

Finally, I didn't ask you WHICH account you have the money in. I asked if you can still account for the money he paid you. I know this isn't like missing an additional $2 charge from some scammer who has your CC info, but I think it's still worth putting to bed that this wasn't, in fact, a scam and that the money you received for the car, by whatever means, wasn't ever called into question.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by skyactiv
OP, if your in Virginia, you needed to contact him after he was in default for 10 days. There are laws regarding storage to protect both the customer and the storage bussiness. There is a process to be followed which you didn't follow.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodepopularnames/virginia-self-service-storage-act/

Yes it's stored in VA but it's not a storage business so that link doesn't apply. If it comes to it, it is a simple abandoned vehicle on private property. I'll send him an email in a few months asking about his intentions. If no reply, a certified letter. It nothing still, pursue an abandoned car title. Should be able to get $5-6K for it.

I can't read any more of this...though I will. These posts are to me what soaps are to my mom, I guess.

Your whole story, including the sale and now your absurd plan to get paid for the extended period of storage, simply doesn't make any logical sense.The only sound thing for you to do is contact the buy immediately and often, and aggressively pursue going after abandonment as soon as possible.

For the OP's sake, I hope he at least has this thing insured until it's out from under his roof.

//

Finally, I didn't ask you WHICH account you have the money in. I asked if you can still account for the money he paid you. I know this isn't like missing an additional $2 charge from some scammer who has your CC info, but I think it's still worth putting to bed that this wasn't, in fact, a scam and that the money you received for the car, by whatever means, wasn't ever called into question.

^^^^^^ This. I can't say I understand this situation, even one bit. If everything we have read here is perfectly true, then the OP needs to look after this situation immediately. Why would either party let this go on so long?

Last edited:
Atikovi, your being inconsiderate to your family. What would happen if you dropped dead today? Sounds like your leaving a mess for your family to deal with
once you pass away.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I want to know what happened to the RV that sat for six years.

I have vowed to get rid of that thing this year. Already cleaned it up and listed it. https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/rvd/d/lanham-1988-fleetwood-southwind-35/7051828689.html

That thing will never sell! Now, if it was sitting in front of a mansion or something, I'd be all over it!
cheers3.gif

There ain't a million dollar house anywhere near that neighbourhood that I could drive it to for a photo shoot.

Not to mention you'd look like Cousin Eddie.

Guy is a lawyer...
Clearly highly accomplished as everything about this 'transaction' seems legit and on the up and up.

His strategery could have been better served buying that house first, though.

Originally Posted by splinter
Guy is a lawyer...
Clearly highly accomplished as everything about this 'transaction' seems legit and on the up and up.

His strategery could have been better served buying that house first, though.

Is this lawyers last name Avenetti? That would explain a lot.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
If there's no written contract for storage fees then it never happened. No money owed. Your word against theirs. I predict this will end up on Judge Judy.

BINGO!

Also the seller hasn't made any effort to contact the buyer since Nov 2018. Something smells fishy about this whole story.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
If there's no written contract for storage fees then it never happened. No money owed. Your word against theirs. I predict this will end up on Judge Judy.

BINGO!

Also the seller hasn't made any effort to contact the buyer since Nov 2018. Something smells fishy about this whole story.

Why should the SELLER have to contact the buyer? If the buyer is so concerned, he would have contacted seller a long time ago. And technically, he's not a seller anymore after the initial deal for the 3 months of free storage expired, but a storer, if that is a real word.

BINGO!

Why should the SELLER have to contact the buyer? If the buyer is so concerned, he would have contacted seller a long time ago. And technically, he's not a seller anymore after the initial deal for the 3 months of free storage expired, but a storer, if that is a real word.

Dude, this has been covered in this thread, ad nauseum. You've got a car just sitting there. The longer it sits, the less likely it is that you'll receive ANYTHING in the way of storage fees. Some, including myself, would argue that you've already exceeded this amount of time and accrued storage fees.

So, NOT contacting the buyer simply means you're maintaining/storing a car for NO REASON WHATSOEVER. In this instance, it behooves the seller, you, to contact the buy as frequently and as urgently as possible to get this thing out of your possession. Then, in the very likely instance that you're stuck with the vehicle, you can then more prudently spend your time getting a new title and re-selling the vehicle.

//

Are you at least insuring the vehicle?

Originally Posted by gathermewool

BINGO!

Dude, this has been covered in this thread, ad nauseum. You've got a car just sitting there. The longer it sits, the less likely it is that you'll receive ANYTHING fin the way of storage fees. Some, including myself, would argue that you've already exceeded this amount of time and accrued storage fees.

So, NOT contacting the buyer simply means you're maintaining/storining a car for NO REASON WHATSOEVER. In this instance, it behooves the seller, you, to contact the buy as frequently and as urgently as possible to get this thing out of your possession. Then, in the very likely instance that you're stuck with the vehicle, you can then more prudently spend your time getting a new title and re-selling the vehicle.

1) I contact him today and he picks it up by the end of the month. I get $2600 for the storage.
2) I contact him 1 year from now and he picks up by the end of that month. I get $3800 for the storage.
3) I contact him 1 year from now and get no reply. I apply for title and get $5-6K for it when I sell it.

Which do you think is the better scenario?

1) I contact him today and he picks it up by the end of the month. I get $2600 for the storage.
2) I contact him 1 year from now and he picks up by the end of that month. I get $3800 for the storage.
3) I contact him 1 year from now and get no reply. I apply for title and get $5-6K for it when I sell it.

Which do you think is the better scenario?

So why start this thread?

You have a plan.
You don't seem to want any advice, or even comments.

Do you have a bill of sale? Has he registered the car? If both of these are true, you could always take the car and park it at an airport, and mail him the keys.

Let me fix that for you:

1) I contact him today. He ignores me. I wasted no time and move on to number 3) below
2) I contact him 1 year from now. He ignores me. I wasted a year and move on to number 3) below.
3) I contact him 1 year from now and get no reply. I apply for title and get $5-6K for it when I sell it. I wasted the amount of time I told myself was worth it in items 1) and 2) above....

//

You have a piece of property under your care. It should be insured. What in the heck do you think happens if it's damaged or, "not as described" when the buyer agrees to finally pick it up? If the vehicle is damaged between when the buyer purchased it and when he picks it up AND you don't make it whole, do you think he will have any recourse for suing you to get his money back?

Assuming the buyer does NOT pick the car up ever, what happens if the car is totaled between now, when the buyer gives you zero dollars for storage and abandons it, and when you decide to finally sell it again?

Stored vehicle insurance is pretty cheap; I'd look into it.

Back