How long to wait before asking guy to pick up his car?

"OK you stiffed eBay out of its sales commission."

Poor E-Pay ! Sniffle,Sniffle
laugh.gif

Right now he would owe $2600 in storage and I could easily get $5000 for it, maybe $6000 with some effort. I think I can wait a little while longer. And I checked obits with his name and nothing came up.

Go to motor vehicle and apply for a lost title. Bring any paperwork in your name to prove you owned the car. Then sell it for real this time for a discount if he already paid for the car. I doubt mv is going to search all the mv's in the world to check for ownership of it.,,

I ain't playing TV lawyer, LOL, but that did give me a Sat afternoon chuckle.

You gotta contact him. That's the right thing to do.

If you have your money for the car, I would find out if he has actually transferred the title into his name. I would assume he has.

Then I would send him a certified letter stating he has 60 days (give him plenty of time) to pick up the car or it would be impounded.

Make sure the title is in his name and not yours first.

I don't think you will get any storage fees at this point. If you refund his money, how will you get your title back? Remember, I ain't even
a TV lawyer.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
I don't think you will get any storage fees at this point. If you refund his money, how will you get your title back? Remember, I ain't even
a TV lawyer.
banana2.gif

I wouldn't turn over the car until the storage fee was paid.
I have no intention of refunding any money or want the title back.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Gebo
a TV lawyer.
banana2.gif

I wouldn't turn over the car until the storage fee was paid.
I have no intention of refunding any money or want the title back.

I understand and agree with you. I just think the guy is "gone" or so rich he doesn't care about losing the purchase price.

The point I am trying to make is you shouldn't refund anything as he has the title.

Best case is you get to sell it again. That would be awesome.

Guy is a lawyer so I guess it's not a priority financially speaking. Maybe I'll wait a few more months until storage is at a nice round number like $3,000 before contacting him.

I guess you could wait until the storage fees equal his purchase price? And then contact him.

It wouldn't hurt to contact him once a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Elkins45
You haven't contacted him since November 2018? Have you tried?

No. Why should I? If he wants to pick it up, he can contact me any time.

If there's no written contract for storage fees then it never happened. No money owed. Your word against theirs. I predict this will end up on Judge Judy.

So much drama...

Contact the buyer. Indicate that he is in arrears on the storage you agreed to. Inquire what their intentions are, and make a decision on next steps based on the response or lack of one within a defined time period.

Anything else is speculation and unethical.

In Minnesota, you if you want the car gone, since you do not have title, you would need to contact law enforcement, and the car would be impounded. A notification period follows, where the legal owner can reclaim the property. If the owner does not reclaim, the impound lot or goverment authority who impounded the vehicle (not the private property owner) sells the car, and you would have the opportunity to buy it.

No idea what regulations are where the OP is.

It on you to contact him for the current storage owed. $2600 is a ton of money. If he has title you can only go through proper process of abandon property. That includes YOU the person storing vehicle contacting the person. I'd suggest email / text or worst mail because you create a paper trail.

It may not get to abandon property however being owed $2600 for storage means possibly.

I'd say send him a certified letter saying he has to pick up within 14 days of receipt of the letter (all storage paid) or his vehicle will be forfeit due to the storage fees. Then sell it.

Your local laws may have other solutions in this situation, and there are numerous scams that can be perpetuated with un-picked-ed up vehicles.

I assume you flipped this. I also assume you once titled it in your name, vs just leaving an open title from the previous owner.

Run a car fax on it-- he either titled it the first month he owned it or he hasn't yet.

Send him a certified letter saying you're seizing it for back storage, he needs to take action within XX days, wait the legal amount, then put in for a duplicate title in your name. Let him sue you-- he won't. And if he does, he can be made right with a refund. It's just money. IANAL.

Figure it out yourself then.

You cannot apply for a "lost title" because you no longer own the car. You are not 'entitled'. Feel free to follow up on the dumb advice from the peanut gallery about lost titles.

You cannot charge for storage because you do not have a written storage contract do you? Hmm? Well of course you don't.

Good luck getting a LE agency to impound a car that is not yours, for which you have neither a title nor a lien.

You do not have a lien on the car, nor a mechanics lien either.

Back