Inexpensive filter for 10k oci on 2010 Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Fram EGs (orange can of delight) are rated to 10k miles, right on the box.
The TGs are now rated to 15k miles.
The Ultras at 20k miles.

I'd run EGs for $3.88 for 10k. Hard to beat that.

dnewton
I thought the same thing (but) the last few times EGs were posted here with pics, the media was all over the place in wide waves. Looked like someone put them in an agitator Maytag washer on Badly Soiled Setting.

If it weren't for those pics, I'd trust using them again. The TGs have a mixed media blend. But the Fram 9688s I need are like $10 and the Ultra is like $12.
Not sure why the 9688 costs more than most others. They are both pretty small now too.
Happy New Year

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
dnewton
I thought the same thing (but) the last few times EGs were posted here with pics, the media was all over the place in wide waves. Looked like someone put them in an agitator Maytag washer on Badly Soiled Setting.

Guess you missed the one thread where a TG was ran for 21,xxx miles and loked pretty good. The ones your talking about were used in abused engines.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
dnewton

Guess you missed the one thread where a TG was ran for 21,xxx miles and still looked pretty good. The ones you're talking about were used in abused engines.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by MParr
I have with agree with the Motorcraft FL-910s for the filter. For oil, Super Tech 5w20 Synthetic or Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w20. The air filter is important, as well.

I thought those focii had lifetime air filter (at least my duratech 2007 did)

Ford used the lifetime air filter on their PZEV engines in California. Poster is Missouri so very likely a non-PZEV engine.

My daughter's 2007 Focus (now with an in-law) had the lifetime cyclone-type air filter; it was not a CA model. Those were pretty awesome little units and the UOAs always showed good low Si counts. Even nearing 90k miles before we got rid of it, it was still filtering just fine.

Last edited:
I worked for GE locomotive in Erie PA in 1980-81. I supervised (among other things) a plastic molding area where we molded and assembled cyclonic filters for diesel electric locos. That was GEs choice to protect some very expensive diesel engines. They were fairly simple devices that worked well. Always wondered why they didn't have a place in the automotive world.

I probably have put more miles on MC FL910S filters than anyone on BITOG(some 325K) with Ford Duretech engines.. I can report that none have shown any sign of a problem and I do 10K OCIs with M1 0-5-20 wt oils.

Originally Posted by tbm3fan
Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by MParr
I have with agree with the Motorcraft FL-910s for the filter. For oil, Super Tech 5w20 Synthetic or Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w20. The air filter is important, as well.

I thought those focii had lifetime air filter (at least my duratech 2007 did)

Ford used the lifetime air filter on their PZEV engines in California. Poster is Missouri so very likely a non-PZEV engine.

My 2007 Ford Focus had the life time air filter, but I replaced it with a Dorman filter box witch came with a replaceable filter.

Ended up getting a 6-pack of XG3600 Fram Ultras on ebay... For less than $5 each, I just can't quit the Ultra...

Originally Posted by brages
Ended up getting a 6-pack of XG3600 Fram Ultras on ebay... For less than $5 each, I just can't quit the Ultra...

That's a good deal, hard to pass those up IMO.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Yep. Saving a couple bucks on the crappiest oil filter (especially for a 10k OCI.... is false economy, imo (I like fram ultra and mobil 1 oil filters, although royal purple with all synthetic media looks pretty nice.)

Think about who blows money on eating out (very frequently) to the tune of hundreds per month, spends $700 on *a cell phone* ...ect ect

I mean common, I am cheap too but I don't care if your margins include beans, rice and a used single wide, get something with a good reputation for your ride to income, aka work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Clubber_Lang

Yep. Saving a couple bucks on the crappiest oil filter (especially for a 10k OCI.... is false economy, imo (I like fram ultra and mobil 1 oil filters, although royal purple with all synthetic media looks pretty nice.)

Think about who blows money on eating out (very frequently) to the tune of hundreds per month, spends $700 on *a cell phone* ...ect ect

I mean common, I am cheap too but I don't care if your margins include beans, rice and a used single wide, get something with a good reputation for your ride to income, aka work.

And yet what is the failure rate of Honda and Toyota engines which used oil filters with an 60-70% efficiency rating?

Add to this Honda does recommend in some applications a 20K mileage oil filter change.

Originally Posted by dave1251

And yet what is the failure rate of Honda and Toyota engines which used oil filters with an 60-70% efficiency rating?

Add to this Honda does recommend in some applications a 20K mileage oil filter change.

I hope the great differential in filtration ability and lack of integrity of (some) of the cheaper designed filter media is worth saving a couple dollars a year. Your average McCitizen could just skip an order of McNuggets annually, but hey whatever works I guess.

I hope the great differential in filtration ability and lack of integrity of (some) of the cheaper designed filter media is worth saving a couple dollars a year. Your average McCitizen could just skip an order of McNuggets annually, but hey whatever works I guess.

It is not the crappiest filter we are talking about. It is a less expensive filter that does what is needed.
And those who are thrifty know that a lot of smaller savings add up over time to a large savings.
I can't save money by not eating at McDonalds once a year or skipping Starbucks one day because I don't do those at all anyway.
I don't like wasting money on stuff regardless of what it is.

If you want to spend more money on a filter to get a good feeling inside, then go ahead. I go by facts, not feelings.

Originally Posted by blupupher
I go by facts, not feelings.

What are the facts? Or do you call YOUR feelings "facts"?

I can't find many facts relating filters to engine life, so I'm stuck with feelings...

Originally Posted by blupupher

It is not the crappiest filter we are talking about. It is a less expensive filter that does what is needed.
And those who are thrifty know that a lot of smaller savings add up over time to a large savings.
I can't save money by not eating at McDonalds once a year or skipping Starbucks one day because I don't do those at all anyway.
I don't like wasting money on stuff regardless of what it is.

If you want to spend more money on a filter to get a good feeling inside, then go ahead. I go by facts, not feelings.

It's the same reason I go oem on radiator caps. Is it really worth $5 to have a crappy quality radiator cap go bad? It's a small part that is very important (oil filter or radiator cap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back