PH7317 C&P 7300 miles. Honda CR-V 2.4L

I don't buy orange cans, I'm burning up some old stock my dad had around.

Looks pretty good for what it is.

This is out of my moms 07 CRV. It does mostly 10 mile spirited drives to work and she slides into her parking space 24 seconds before 8AM. Oil was Pennzoil Platinum 10w30, probably a quart of top off (starting off with 5 in sump).

20240309_173318.jpg

20240309_173302.jpg

20240309_173239.jpg

20240309_173236.jpg

This is out of my moms 07 CRV. It does mostly 10 mile spirited drives to work and she slides into her parking space 24 seconds before 8AM. Oil was Pennzoil Platinum 10w30, probably a quart of top off (starting off with 5 in sump).

View attachment 207795

View attachment 207796

View attachment 207797

View attachment 207798

Looks good. What oil and filter went back in and on? Thank You

She ran 10w30 all winter and now 0w20 as spring approaches? I'd have done the opposite.
The pleat spacing in the 2nd picture doesn't impress me.
He said he got it three months ago - back around in late fall.

I am doing the 10W30 whatever Spring/Fall OCI thing too with DI, if it wasn't for D.I. sump dilution troubles, and me short tripping now I am retired, I wouldn't really need this silliness.

I have my own thoughts on that.
I had a super expensive Honda S2000 filter tear two pleats - made by Filtech. I would say no conventional media is immune if it exhibits grossly uneven pleats. There will be high shear stresses at the glue junction on cores with metal end caps - the fiberboard end caps are flexible to a fair extent reducing the localised lateral shear stress vectors. Odd this filter gave up the ghost, as I selected the Honda S2000 spec filter since it was one of the largest 20X1.5 MM /55mm Asian filters. Still too small for winter use with ethanol-blend fuels in my town.

Last edited:

View attachment 207795

View attachment 207796

View attachment 207797

View attachment 207798

Hi GasBuggy,
This filter looks more than pretty good, it looks great. 7,300 miles of mostly 10 mile drives is tough on an oil filter. It demonstrates how good the Extra Guard filters are. I recommend you stay with them, they're working well for you.

Last edited:
The filter collected a lot of carbon debris. How many miles total on the CRV??

Thanks for the comment, I wondered about that. I'm not sure what is normal.

The CRV has 170,000 miles. She's had it since it since it almost new (15k). It's had changes every 6-7000 miles with good synthetics.

It does consume a litttle oil. A quart every 3500-4000 miles.

+1

I've cut open EG filters that looked much worse, and the media was wavy with terrible pleat spacing but it was very difficult to separate from the end caps.
And I had one virgin one where the end caps delaminated and simply peeled away easily..
Typical of Fram these days. Inconsistent quality...

And I had one virgin one where the end caps delaminated and simply peeled away easily..
Typical of Fram these days. Inconsistent quality...
Part of me wants to just switch over to buying $2 jobber filters. That way if I start my engine and it sounds like a box of rocks I won't be as upset screwing on another $2 filter instead of a $15 one.

Back