CVT Maintenance for CVT Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's daily driver is a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander with the 2.4 and a CVT. From what I've read the Mitsubishi vehicles use the Jatco CVT. Please correct me if that's wrong.

I would like to properly maintain this transmission but I know absolutely nothing about it at all. The dealer recommends a flush at 40K and 100K. Being an obsessive BITOGer, I know that's probably insufficient. I will probably pay for the 40K dealer service to keep the 100K powertrain warranty in effect.

Otherwise though I'd like to sub in a few drain and fills. How often should I do this? Every 15K? Every 30K? And fluid - it seems to me from reading this forum that one can use one of several choice of universal replacement fluid including Pennzoil, Valvoline, Eneos, etc. I assume the Mitsubishi fluid is high dollar.

I maintain a fleet of vehicles (around 70). In my fleet I have 3 2015 Outlander sports that have the CVT transmission. Since new I have done a drain and fill every 30,000 on these vehicles. While under them for an oil change, I remove the the 19mm drain bolt for the trans. I drain it out into a separate oil pan. Once done draining I pour the old fluid into an old oil jug or anything with measurements on the side of it. I then add that same amount of fluid back into the trans. You should of course verify that the trans is filled correctly before draining. It takes 15 mins and is cheap insurance with a CVT trans. As for fluid I use Amalie universal synthetic CVT fluid from Federated auto parts. It's about $7 a qt. and meets the Mitsubishi CVTF-J4 spec. Mine all take between 4 an 4.5 quarts. Hope this helps.

If 40K and 100K flushes do not keep it running, my guess is the unit is not very good and more frequent flushes may not help. Good luck with it.

Valvoline fluid is fine. I would do a pan dump first year or 15K.
Than you should be good to 60K.

Volume of replacement fluid is critical to prevent foaming or starvation.

If you do an ambient temp fluid VOLUME exchange with the trans sump and replacement jugs at the same temp - you should be fine.

Save and measure what came out and put the same volume back in.

On my Rogue the Factory Filled Volume wouldn't reach the dipstick bottom tip COLD, BUT would over run the FULL mark by an inch when HOT. Thus the service check temp is somewhere between.
This stuff expands a LOT!

And you likely don't even have a dipstick.

SO measure volume out "cold" same volume new back in "cold" Have car and fluid in same environment for 12 hours prior..

Last edited:
There is a whole convoluted procedure to follow on these "sealed" transmissions, procedure that no dealer would ever follow as it takes too long.
IMO THE best is with a good fluid exchange machine, failing that several D&F would also do the job, though whether it's cheaper is debatable question if done by a mechanic.

Last edited:
I don't have this vehicle. Or even a CVT. But I have a vehicle with a "sealed" transmission. I've always done ATF drains/fills myself at home, but for the sealed unit I took it to my trusted local mechanic that has a machine. I took him the OEM fluid I wanted him to use and he simply charged me labor ($50-60). If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, this is a good option if you know a good mechanic you can trust and it will be cheaper than taking it to the dealer.

Man I hate how the term "sealed" is tossed around. A 2018 model year CVT is no more sealed than a 60yr/old GM 2 speed power glide AT. They're all open to the atmosphere to breathe, they all have the means to drain/fill and check level.

What can make them more challenging is the lack of a dipstick. That is all. The charge tube will be up in the engine bay if it's a Jatco and it will have a drain plug and a level check plug. All easily accessible.

Use the suitable CVT juice of your choice. I hesitate to use anything that's not the same color as the OEM fluid if you are still under warranty. Out of warranty it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Research your CVT for a filter. Most have an externally mounted filter. The smaller CVTs often have them mounted in the fluid cooler assembly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Volume of replacement fluid is critical to prevent foaming or starvation.

If you do an ambient temp fluid VOLUME exchange with the trans sump and replacement jugs at the same temp - you should be fine.

Save and measure what came out and put the same volume back in.
SO measure volume out "cold" same volume new back in "cold" ...

This is very important. You will be amazed at the volume difference between hot ATF and cold ATF. I know because I did it. If it helps you understand, think about
AT's that have a dipstick to check the fluid. Remember how they had "cold" markings way down the stick and the "high" markings much higher on the stick? The volume
definitely changes with temperature change. The ATF expands when hot.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
Since new I have done a drain and fill every 30,000 on these vehicles.
Seconding the 30,000mi recommendation; I do the same on my 2015 Lancer with the CVT. I've been using Castrol Transmax CVT which meets MMC's CVT-J4 spec and can be had for between $4.17/qt ($25 for 6qt case) on a good sale, and $5.83/qt ($35 for 6qt case) pretty regularly.

Originally Posted by Brons2
I assume the Mitsubishi fluid is high dollar.

You would be correct. As per Mitsubishi's website, 1qt of their DiaQueen CVT fluid will run you $18.50... outrageous considering the alternatives. Be sure to look at your owner's manual, but I'm going to assume your transmission requires CVT-J4 spec fluid. As other users and myself have mentioned in previous responses, alternative brand fluid that meets this spec can be had for significantly cheaper than OEM.

Originally Posted by JTK
Man I hate how the term "sealed" is tossed around. A 2018 model year CVT is no more sealed than a 60yr/old GM 2 speed power glide AT. They're all open to the atmosphere to breathe, they all have the means to drain/fill and check level.

What can make them more challenging is the lack of a dipstick. That is all. The charge tube will be up in the engine bay if it's a Jatco and it will have a drain plug and a level check plug. All easily accessible.

Use the suitable CVT juice of your choice. I hesitate to use anything that's not the same color as the OEM fluid if you are still under warranty. Out of warranty it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Research your CVT for a filter. Most have an externally mounted filter. The smaller CVTs often have them mounted in the fluid cooler assembly.

+1 He nailed it. Sealed...............not!
lol.gif
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
CVT Maintenance for CVT Dummies:

-Don't buy one.

But to seriously answer your question, 30k-40k services should be enough to take care of almost any transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back