"Ford vs. Ferrari" movie - Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm off to see Matt Damon and Christian Bale burn some rubber in their new movie.
What does everybody think of it?

(Yesterday I saw "Midway" but, sorry, no racing in that movie, too off-topic.)

Going to see it Saturday. This is about 2 of my favorite cars ever built, I hope they focus on them. By that I mean I hope there are a lot of car shots and not just a bunch of dialog.
smile.gif

There was Rush, which was great.

I'm looking forward to this one, it is a great story of corporate competition and what you can do with an almost unlimited budget. I'm actually fascinated by that end of the story. A true Goliath vs. David tale and some have said.

I want to see it.

I've heard it isn't completely historically accurate (no surprise there) and that the GT40's are powered by off brand motors... (disappointing if I have to see it.)

It just came out today right, though i'm sure there wearily early screenings somewhere...

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I want to see it.

I've heard it isn't completely historically accurate (no surprise there) and that the GT40's are powered by off brand motors... (disappointing if I have to see it.)

It just came out today right, though i'm sure there wearily early screenings somewhere.
The GT40's were built by Superformance with 427 motors. They obviously couldn't use the multi million dollar originals in the movies racing scenes. The only original cars used were in static scenes. https://www.automobilemag.com/news/ford-v-ferrari-movie-stunts-driving-interview/?wc_mid=4035:17899&wc_rid=4035:32566885&_wcsid=B287E6D8548ADBDE9E30488F2FF235686B0D224667FAC386

Originally Posted by atikovi
Isn't this the first automotive centered movie to come out since the one about the Tucker 30 years ago?

Rush, Senna, Driven (shudder), Days of Thunder, all the Fast and Furious movies.

Last edited:
Just saw it. Thumbs way up. Try to see it in one of those "Dolby Vibrator" movie theaters where they shake your chair and have directional sound.

1. Did Carroll Shelby really hold up a "7,000+ RPM" sign up at 24 Hours Daytona to Ken Miles near the end of the race? Dramatic, thats for sure.

2. Did Shelby lock up a Ford executive in his office? And an employee stalled by shoving his foot against the door?

3. Why does Shelby think frogs have fur?

4. Did Ken Miles really have a partial windscreen and that's what helped him win in a Cobra early in the movie?

All 4 will make sense to you if you see the movie.

Now I need to see a more serious documentary on the whole story. Two actually, both by Adam Carolla and Nate Adams: "The 24 Hour War" and "Shelby American".

It's different in many ways than the excellent Ron Howard "Rush" movie about Niki Lauda and James Hunt. Both are great movies.

Those Ferraris racing at LeMans sounded amazing & looked great.

They talked about the GT40 gearbox overheating quite a bit. Wish I knew the story on that. Oil used, did they try moly?, cooling fins attempted?, maybe a water jacket around it with convection cooling and boil-off through a pressure valve?, wish the story were out there on what they considered or tryed..

I saw it with my brothers and a couple of nephews last Friday. I think this may be the greatest racing movie ever made. It did a very good job of explaining Hank the Deuce's motivation for starting the LeMans program after Enzo insulted him during the attempted Ferrari buyout. They didn't try very hard to make Matt Damon look like Carroll Shelby, and his Texas accent came and went in different scenes. But Christian Bale was awesome as Ken Miles. I was very happy that the plot centered on Ken Miles' development of the GT40. Much of that history is corroborated by Mark Donohue's book "The Unfair Advantage". Ken Miles died very much an unacknowledged hero, and this is a testament to him. My eyes leaked a couple drops of lacrimal fluid when Enzo Ferrari tipped his hat to Ken after the 1966 LeMans race.

A couple of weak spots I noticed:
An early scene in Miles' foreign car garage has a GM LS cathedral port cylinder head sitting on a bench in the background of a shot. LS heads did not exist until 30 years later.
The bigger problem is that Ken Miles' death is shown in a GT40, but he died testing a J-car.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
The bigger problem is that Ken Miles' death is shown in a GT40, but he died testing a J-car.

To the movie maker's credit, they did mention the new honeycomb material unique to the J-car, kind of indicating it was a J to the audience (later revised version to be the GT40 MkIV).
Looks like Ken Mile's tragic death actually may have save the life of Mario Andretti. Mario was behind the wheel of a GT40 MkIV with a roll cage fitted after the horrible Miles crash made them increase safety, at LeMans in '67, crashing badly but surviving.

Speaking of Mario Andretti, he spoke recently about his experience driving GT40s and said Ford added beryllium to the brake rotors to solve a cracking & disintegration problem. Interesting high tech solution in the 1960's.

Last edited:
I saw it with my brothers and a couple of nephews last Friday. I think this may be the greatest racing movie ever made. It did a very good job of explaining Hank the Deuce's motivation for starting the LeMans program after Enzo insulted him during the attempted Ferrari buyout. They didn't try very hard to make Matt Damon look like Carroll Shelby, and his Texas accent came and went in different scenes. But Christian Bale was awesome as Ken Miles. I was very happy that the plot centered on Ken Miles' development of the GT40. Much of that history is corroborated by Mark Donohue's book "The Unfair Advantage". Ken Miles died very much an unacknowledged hero, and this is a testament to him. My eyes leaked a couple drops of lacrimal fluid when Enzo Ferrari tipped his hat to Ken after the 1966 LeMans race.

A couple of weak spots I noticed:
An early scene in Miles' foreign car garage has a GM LS cathedral port cylinder head sitting on a bench in the background of a shot. LS heads did not exist until 30 years later.

Don`t believe GM was first to use the cathedral intake port. Chrysler small blocks used this design in the 60`s I believe.

I think this may be the greatest racing movie ever made. .
Ron Howard's "Rush" was great too. I'm not sure which one I like better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back