Openheimer: The Movie. One person's observation.

Saw this yesterday. 😂
66CB3CE5-E575-4B4B-89BB-8656D932897D.jpeg

That's funny.
Heisenberg joke

I look like this guy (Walter White.. a.k.a. "Heisenberg.") And I had that shirt until it didn't fit anymore.

Walter_White_S5B.png

61GRkYnodOL._AC_UY780_.jpg

As to the movie. I can say.. I saw it twice! I think the movie was excellent! I don't exactly think it is a valid critique of a movie that "it was varying long".. Many of the best movies are. The Godfather came in at either 2 hours 30 minutes or two hours 40 minutes runtime or something like that.. so did many other great ones.. this one, you have to be truly committed. It clocks in at three hours one minute runtime after the coming attractions roll so.. You'll be in the theatre for awhile.

But, again, that's not exactly a valid criticism of the movie. I REALLY liked it!

I have mild attention deficit, at times.. the movie was able to hold my interest through the whole thing. The plot was just complex enough that I wasn't able to follow every single character, and forgive me if I'm misremembering but, did not "Edward" (?) - the one that walked out near the middle said "I will not work with him" then got called a "Primadonna" then was offered one hour a week by Oppenheimer then said "Now raise this fabulous gate".. Did not that character re-enter the story near the end? I sometimes suffer with not being able to identify which character is who, where... and aside from losing some general plot intricacy, this movie was rather spectacular, if you can give it the time.

Saw it a second time with my father and he exited literally like 10 minutes before the end. Not sure what was up with that but. Hey.

I give it a 9 out of 10 at least. The first time I saw it I really liked it. Maybe even a 9.5 of 10. And the movie was made in a way that you didn't need to literally be a physicist to enjoy it, though perhaps physicists wanted to see what was presented, understandably 🤣This was much appreciated.

Are we feeling like the movie was historically accurate? Occurred to me my Dad was born approximately 6 months after the end of WW2, so I would think the ones most familiar with the actual events or lived closest to when they took place to experience it all would be rather up there in age..

I have mild attention deficit, at times.. the movie was able to hold my interest through the whole thing. The plot was just complex enough that I wasn't able to follow every single character, and forgive me if I'm misremembering but, did not "Edward" (?) - the one that walked out near the middle said "I will not work with him" then got called a "Primadonna" then was offered one hour a week by Oppenheimer then said "Now raise this fabulous gate".. Did not that character re-enter the story near the end? I sometimes suffer with not being able to identify which character is who, where... and aside from losing some general plot intricacy, this movie was rather spectacular, if you can give it the time.

You’re thinking Edward Teller? He was father of the hydrogen bomb.

Just got home from the $4 special.

Hmmm......I liked it. Was a bit drawn out and wanted much more science.

Actually didn't know much about Strauss. How close to the truth? No idea.

Thought the Heisenberg gag was good.

Enjoyed the Einstein scenes even if made up.

62 years old, dead. 1967. Throat cancer.

Just got home from the $4 special.

Hmmm......I liked it. Was a bit drawn out and wanted much more science.

Actually didn't know much about Strauss. How close to the truth? No idea.

Thought the Heisenberg gag was good.

Enjoyed the Einstein scenes even if made up.

62 years old, dead. 1967. Throat cancer.

He was well known for being a chain smoker. His brother died of lung cancer but had lymphoma even before that. A former coworker used to work at the Exploratorium and said Frank Oppenheimer was the only one allowed to smoke there (this was the early 80s before smoking in the workplace was common, but not there), and also brought his dog.

Certainly around here, the locations around Berkeley were well known. Some of what substituted was clearly some other place, but I certainly knew one scene where they were walking down campus, as I'd done that many time during football game days.

I'm not sure the science itself would have been that interesting. That stuff can get really esoteric.

As for Lewis Strauss, there's way too much evidence that he sabotaged Oppenheimer.

Strauss now viewed Oppenheimer as a threat to American security. He met with President Eisenhower, telling him that he “could not do the job at the AEC if Oppenheimer was connected in any way with the program.” Oppenheimer had his security clearance revoked in 1954 for alleged communist ties. As physicist Robert Wilson remembered, “Mr. Strauss was certainly one of the important people in the trial of Oppenheimer, and might have played a role that you would be able to associate with someone in the church at the time of Galileo.”​

Someone asked why the movie doesn't show the two bombs being dropped on Japan. Nolan tells his interpretation of the story, which is not a documentary, through the eyes of Oppenheimer (all the scenes shot in color). The movie is based on the biography American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer which is also written in first person. Oppenheimer learned about the bombs having been dropped on the radio. The movie simply focuses on Oppenheimer and his experiences. It's called Oppenheimer and not The Bomb.
It doesn't show a lot. https://www.wired.com/story/the-dark-history-oppenheimer-didnt-show/

How long do you think people are willing to sit down for a movie? Do you believe that a movie is better because of more content or should there be focus on certain themes, characters, and parts of the whole story? Don't confuse a fictionalized account with a documentary series that goes into the tedious minutiae but that still remains an incomplete account because it's all very complex.

Last edited:
Back