What's the inside of your engine look like?!

bdcardinal, myself and one of my split personalities approve of Motorcraft oil filters.
His name is AppleDoppel.
grin.gif

This thread came at perfect timing since i replaced the valve cover gasket today.

The car is the 1994 Kadett on my sig. I bought it last year with only 22k miles ( 27k right now). Although i could see from the filler cap that the engine was pretty clean, you can imagine the feeling after taking the valve cover from a 25 year old car and find this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

11.gif

Last edited:
2003 pt gt 2.4 Turbo,100 k miles, mosly Amsoil 5w-30, 0w-30, mobile 1 0w-30, pup 5w-30 4-8k oil drain intervals
circa 07, still running strong with 186k

Quaker Hill 408.jpg

Quaker Hill 546.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
GM 2.4l, Ecotec, with GDI, 89K miles, on quick lube oil changes and following the bogus Oil Life Monitor. This was taken during a timing chain replacement. Thankful it only slipped a few teeth and did not destroy the pistons and valves.

So we have an oil related engine failure and nobody acknowledges? Funny. Where are all the "oil will never cause an engine to fail" people at on this one?

How are you able to determine this is a lubercant related failure? Are you able to sample the oil, conduct a tear down, measure, and recreate the failure via this forum?

Originally Posted by dave1251
GM 2.4l, Ecotec, with GDI, 89K miles, on quick lube oil changes and following the bogus Oil Life Monitor. This was taken during a timing chain replacement. Thankful it only slipped a few teeth and did not destroy the pistons and valves.

So we have an oil related engine failure and nobody acknowledges? Funny. Where are all the "oil will never cause an engine to fail" people at on this one?

How are you able to determine this is a lubercant related failure? Are you able to sample the oil, conduct a tear down, measure, and recreate the failure via this forum?

It's not oil related due to the oil used, its oil related due to the piece of garbage GM OLMs weve all come to know and love

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by dave1251

It's not oil related due to the oil used, its oil related due to the piece of garbage GM OLMs weve all come to know and love

If the oil had done its job, there wouldnt have been an issue that it was suppose to be protecting against right? dave1251 has been ignored for being a troll. Im not familiar with chevys olm, im conducting my own test to see however the chevrolet dealer puts a sticker on the windshield that says do not change until 20% oil life which now I know now is extremely excessive via my previous post of the uoa.

LeoStrop, what part of Brazil do you live in? Sao Paulo is not so different from USA as far as driving conditions in my observations, but I would imagine Amazonas would be pretty grim.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
The inside of my engine is very dark right now.

I was going to be a smarta$$ and say "...dark, hot, smelly, oily and noisy", but you beat me to it!

1972 LR SIII 2.25 petrol
1985 LR 90 2.5 diesel
1974 BMW 2002 2.0

Here are a few:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Brons2
LeoStrop, what part of Brazil do you live in? Sao Paulo is not so different from USA as far as driving conditions in my observations, but I would imagine Amazonas would be pretty grim.

Hey Bron,

I bought the car in São Paulo, but i live in Rio de Janeiro in a small historic city.

Driving conditions here are very diverse, we have good roads but also a lot of bad ones. Were i live, since it's a very small town, i use my bike most of the time so the car is driven mostly on the highway. The weather is good around here, it rains a lot, but nothing like Amazonas
wink.gif

2012 Honda NC700X (motorcycle). This was just a tick off of 50k miles, at my last valve check. Red Line surely keeps things sparkly!

[Linked Image]

While all these engines are clean, if I had to rank them, the engines running Redline look the cleanest lol.

Originally Posted by buster
While all these engines are clean, if I had to rank them, the engines running Redline look the cleanest lol.

Looking good doesn't come cheap at 11.95 a qt but you get what you pay for. I will have mine with 300k here shortly and am sure to post pictures also using Redline Oil for over the last 150,000 miles. Depleting my stash so I can run 0w30 in both this and my 2020 Honda. Great job to everyone on the pictures posted. If you like the way it looks then you got a good oil/oci... If not, get a better product / oci maintenance schedule and go from there.

Nice clean looking engines....especially that bulwnkl posted motorcycle engine - spotless!

Back