Anyone use The Photo Stick?

I've been wanting to store all my photos onto a USB and was looking for a program to do the gathering. Is Photo Stick a good one or is ther a better way or a better item,maybe cheaper or free? It'll be on a Win7

Don't you know in which folder(s) on your computer the photos are stored? If so, can't you just copy them over onto an external drive?

Another way, if you don't know folder location, you could do a basic search for all *.jpg files (or whatever format they're in) on your drive and find them that way.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Don't you know in which folder(s) on your computer the photos are stored? If so, can't you just copy them over onto an external drive?

Ugh. I would store them on at least two external drives if that's your only backup, and keep one of them offsite. Preferably in another state or country.

Me, I just use two different clouds to store my photos.

As for the Photo Stick, is the only claim to fame vs a regular USB stick is that it finds your photos? If so I would just buy a regular stick.

You mean THIS?

If yes, stay away. The prices are from the early 2000s and most likely the hardware has some kind of lock so you will end up paying to even view the pictures.

Whats wrong with google photos? If you have loads of photos, it will resample the photos but you will not notice any difference in the picture, even if you print. If you don't want to hand over your photos to Google, look at mega.nz, free backup upto 50GB but be ready to move photos at short notice and there is no password reset, true privacy if you want.

I personally make multiple backups.

If you want a program to find out all pictures on your hard drive,Old Picasa still works.

Originally Posted by Brons2
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Ugh. I would store them on at least two external drives if that's your only backup, and keep one of them offsite. Preferably in another state or country.

Me, I just use two different clouds to store my photos.

As for the Photo Stick, is the only claim to fame vs a regular USB stick is that it finds your photos? If so I would just buy a regular stick.

+1

The only time I'd put photos (that I cared about, anyway) on a USB drive is to temporarily transfer or something. I learned the hard way many years ago to have more than one backup of photos (was able to recover with Recuva!). With all my photos, I keep multiple copies on multiple machines, as well as Google photos, Amazon drive, and Carbonite. Probably a little paranoid, but family photos (generations worth) are simply priceless.

I would like to buy a photo stick as a present. Some new cool ones on the market? Any ideas?

I think perhaps you’ve misunderstood my post, but thanks for taking the time to try to help. It is appreciated, although I’m really hoping that someone who has experience of them will provide the benefit of their knowledge before I buy one.
What post are you talking about? Helping where? The “one” what?

This sounds like a sophisticated posting bot.

Back