Audi RS3 confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Trav
504 is not just for DPF and emissions reasons its a better oil in every way. Check this thread out.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4946057/1

We were not clear enough. VW504.00/507.00 is more stringent spec. than VW502. However, VW502 comes with othrer specifications such as MB229.5, LL01 etc. So, if you ask me which oil is better, Castrol 0W40 or Castrol LL03, I would say 0W40.

Euro 0w30 is 3.5 HTHS which is almost 0w40, there is no reason to go xw40 if a high HTHS 504 0w30 like PP Euro LX is available. Just sayin.

Originally Posted by edyvw
504 is not just for DPF and emissions reasons its a better oil in every way. Check this thread out.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4946057/1

We were not clear enough. VW504.00/507.00 is more stringent spec. than VW502. However, VW502 comes with othrer specifications such as MB229.5, LL01 etc. So, if you ask me which oil is better, Castrol 0W40 or Castrol LL03, I would say 0W40.

Euro 0w30 is 3.5 HTHS which is almost 0w40, there is no reason to go xw40 if a high HTHS 504 0w30 like PP Euro LX is available. Just sayin.

Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 are same base.
0W40 are light W40 oils, and particularly Castrol 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 FS in USA are so cheap that nothing else justifies higher price.

Then there are middle ground (mid saps) oils that add confusion to the mix as well. I just put in a fill of Valvoline MST 5w40. It is both MB 229.5 and 229.51, BMW LL-04, Dexos 2, yet it is still approved at VW 502 and not 504. Can't wait to see what it looks like at 7k or so in a UOA.

+1

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Then there are middle ground (mid saps) oils that add confusion to the mix as well. I just put in a fill of Valvoline MST 5w40. It is both MB 229.5 and 229.51, BMW LL-04, Dexos 2, yet it is still approved at VW 502 and not 504. Can't wait to see what it looks like at 7k or so in a UOA.

VW504.00 can only be 0/5W30.

Bit of an update.

I'm pretty impressed with Audi service on this. I emailed Audi Canada and they forwarded my question to someone in Germany. That person replied to me stating that in ‘Central Europe' the 502 spec is basically outdated and almost everyone uses 504 for everything. The only reason 502 is still widely used in NA is because of fuel sulphur content and with the reduction of that in 2017 they have switched the newer engines to either 504 or 508, depending. He said as new engines are developed over the coming years they too will spec 504 only in North America, the new 2.5T is just the first one to actually do it. He also said depending on how things go they may even extend the service interval further but they need a couple years of data before doing so. I asked about the 502/504 sticker under the hood, he said most likely a carry over from A3 and S3 cars that probably should have been updated. So what I take from all this is while 502 won't hurt anything, it's not technically correct for this particular engine.

I spoke to the technician at the dealership and he said he only puts the 504 in these cars because that's what the parts system says to use when the VIN is entered. So whoever I spoke to before was not really wrong but maybe not informed on the latest updates.

One thing I noticed for some reason driving home is the oil temperature is definitely lower afterwards, by about 5-7 degrees C. I don't know if the factory fill is maybe a different product or maybe the Fuchs I put in to top off made a difference.

Last edited:
My 2017 A4 has the 502/504 sticker under the hood also. I still use 502 oils that also meet A40 porsche spec. Castrol 0w-40 or Ravenol

Ok so I have come around to the next OCI on this car and debating between three oils.

I was pretty set on Total Ineo Long Life, but noticed today Canadian Tire starting carrying Mobil 1 ESP in the 5 quart jugs, and the price is pretty good. The last option is Pennzoil Euro LX which is a 0w30, which I don't really need, it gets to be maybe -5C here at coldest and the vehicle is in a garage overnight as well. However if it is much more superior oil, I will use it.

Pennzoil:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Total:

Mobil1:

Thoughts? Leaning toward the Mobil since it is $1.50/L cheaper than the Total. Pennzoil is even slightly cheaper.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

I was pretty set on Total Ineo Long Life, but noticed today Canadian Tire starting carrying Mobil 1 ESP in the 5 quart jugs, and the price is pretty good.
Mobil1:

Thoughts? Leaning toward the Mobil since it is $1.50/L cheaper than the Total.

The ESP 5W30 sure does have a boatload of certifications and approvals eh? (I haven't looked but |I assume there are lots of UOAs for this oil?)

Although I thought you might wait till I posted my 5100 mile run of the M1 ESP 0W30 (2018 Golf R)
smile.gif
(I mailed off the sample a week ago so I expect to get the UOA this week) .

(Although I am thinking that you can't find M1 ESP 0W30 at CT
21.gif
)

Last edited:
Either I just never realized they carried the 5qt jug or they just started carrying it recently. They've had the 1qt bottles for a long time. It's on sale right now for $36.

Until I understand the sulfur fuel thing, I'm always saying VW502 oils should be the way to go in VAG cars in the U.S. - what are Canadian fuels like?

They've had the 1qt bottles for a long time. It's on sale right now for $36.

(But just to clarify there is no ESP 0W30 at CT...right?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Until I understand the sulfur fuel thing, I'm always saying VW502 oils should be the way to go in VAG cars in the U.S. - what are Canadian fuels like?

Same standards as USA, ultra low since Jan 2017 and then they went slightly lower again in Jan 2019.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
They've had the 1qt bottles for a long time. It's on sale right now for $36.

(But just to clarify there is no ESP 0W30 at CT...right?)

I can't find it on their website at least

The ESP 5W30 sure does have a boatload of certifications and approvals eh? (I haven't looked but |I assume there are lots of UOAs for this oil?)

Not that it matters but why is it that this oil isnt SN PLUS (as is the case for other M1 5W30 oils)?

The oil consumption does not concern me because it seems normal for the engine according to other forums and user data, and it has definitely gotten better over the last 2000 miles or so. I also don't baby the car around :). I suppose it's also possible that adding 1-2 qts per oil change will negate a lot of my longevity concerns anyway.

JR, what is the current mileage for the car?

And what has been the approximate consumption in this OCI?

And this will be the...second oil change?

Not that it matters but why is it that this oil isnt SN PLUS (as is the case for other M1 5W30 oils)?

Don't know really, seems a lot of Euro oils are behind on SN+ approvals. Maybe they don't want to lower calcium content?

The oil consumption does not concern me because it seems normal for the engine according to other forums and user data, and it has definitely gotten better over the last 2000 miles or so. I also don't baby the car around :). I suppose it's also possible that adding 1-2 qts per oil change will negate a lot of my longevity concerns anyway.

JR, what is the current mileage for the car?

And what has been the approximate consumption in this OCI?

And this will be the...second oil change?

23.8k km, I've added two quarts this OCI if I remember correctly. I am curious if changing brands will help at all, it's had nothing but the OE/dealer Castrol stuff to this point. Yes this will be the second change.

I believe the Pennzoil Euro LX is VW 504 which means it is very, very good stuff. The Euro L commonly found here at Wally's is not it's equal.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I believe the Pennzoil Euro LX is VW 504 which means it is very, very good stuff. The Euro L commonly found here at Wally's is not it's equal.

It is, I just don't need a 0w. If it's actually a better product than the other two I would use it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back