Apple Airpods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here uses Apple's Airpods as a bluetooth headset? If you do how do you like them? Can people hear you nice and clear? I currently use Plantronics Voyager Legend but wouldn't mind going with airpods if they work good as a bluetooth headset.

I was in your exact situation about a year ago. I am on conference calls for 80% of my job each day, and was using the Voyager Legend as a headset. I really liked using it, it had great noise cancellation and people could hear me well. The battery started to degrade on it after a year or so of use, and then finally my kid found it and dropped it in the recliner, and when I found it, it had been sheared in half. I went with the AirPods because I needed a new set of Bluetooth earbuds for listening to music, and though it was worth a try for using as a headset as well. I've been using them ever since for conference calls and use them as a headset the majority of the time. They work great - people tell me they can hear me loud and clear.

I have the 1st Gen AirPods. I hear the 2nd Gen are much faster at pairing with your phone, which is about the only complaint I have. They initially pair quite easily - but if I remove them and pick them back up, it pairs with my phone instantly about half the time. The other half the time there is a delay before the AirPod "chimes" to tell me it's paired.

The nice thing about using them as a headset for phone calls is that you can use one or the other. If I'm on a marathon of conference calls, I swap to the other AirPod while the other one charges. It's worked well for me so far. When I need to replace these I will go with AirPods again.

I don't use them but I'll talk to my buddy that is a truck driver and uses them and I'm impressed. He'll be driving around with the windows down on his semi and I can hear his voice really clear. You can slightly hear the wind noise in the back very slightly but the microphone will only "turn on" when he starts talking so you don't get a bunch of background noise.

Originally Posted by RonRonnster
I was in your exact situation about a year ago. I am on conference calls for 80% of my job each day, and was using the Voyager Legend as a headset. I really liked using it, it had great noise cancellation and people could hear me well. The battery started to degrade on it after a year or so of use, and then finally my kid found it and dropped it in the recliner, and when I found it, it had been sheared in half. I went with the AirPods because I needed a new set of Bluetooth earbuds for listening to music, and though it was worth a try for using as a headset as well. I've been using them ever since for conference calls and use them as a headset the majority of the time. They work great - people tell me they can hear me loud and clear.

I have the 1st Gen AirPods. I hear the 2nd Gen are much faster at pairing with your phone, which is about the only complaint I have. They initially pair quite easily - but if I remove them and pick them back up, it pairs with my phone instantly about half the time. The other half the time there is a delay before the AirPod "chimes" to tell me it's paired.

The nice thing about using them as a headset for phone calls is that you can use one or the other. If I'm on a marathon of conference calls, I swap to the other AirPod while the other one charges. It's worked well for me so far. When I need to replace these I will go with AirPods again.

Thanks for your post, this is very useful feedback! As for the Voyager Legend I have the same issue with the battery degrading faster then what i would like and the charger for it sucks unless you get the charging case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RonRonnster

Well you just sold me. I'm in the exact same position about daily conference calls.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Well you just sold me. I'm in the exact same position about daily conference calls.

Ditto!

Thank you RonRonnster and Pew!

Originally Posted by Pew
I don't use them but I'll talk to my buddy that is a truck driver and uses them and I'm impressed. He'll be driving around with the windows down on his semi and I can hear his voice really clear. You can slightly hear the wind noise in the back very slightly but the microphone will only "turn on" when he starts talking so you don't get a bunch of background noise.

Thanks! If he can talk with the windows down that says a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back