0/20 oil change intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a 2nd gen Honda Insight, first car I that I would go 10K and change the oil (10K is per Honda)...Engine went belly up at 110K, Next car was a 2014 Honda Accord 4cyl, changed oil and filter every 5K, used Mobil1 0w-20 and Honda filter, car has 190K on it, and engine is running great...Gave it to our youngest, and just bought a 2019 Toyota Camry 2.5 4cyl...plan on changing its oil and filter every 5K as well, because through my experience, it just works. I get a 5qt container of Mobil1 0w-20 at Wally World for $23, and filters are $6 from the dealer...I have a Fumoto valve on the oil pans, so an oil change takes me about 10min, and $29...super cheap and simple to just do it myself...and have peace of mind. YMMV

Last edited:
JamesINcorona ... were you using the same oil in the Honda Insight ? Same driving conditions ? Thanks...

Yes...same oil brand (Mobile 1), same weight (0W-20), same Honda oil filter, and same exact commute everyday for the past 10yrs...89 miles to work, and 89 home...

I think the weaker engine in the Insight also was a major factor, it was just gutless, and revved really really high going up several of the bigger mountains on my route...those high revs really hammered the oil I think.
But I really think that if I had changed the oil on it every 5K, instead of 10K the engine would have been okay...I won't ever do the 10K oil change interval again, playing it safe and staying at 5K changes for my cars, 3K for my motorcycles...and I always change the filter every time I do the oil.

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Why do people feel that the manufacturer of the vehicle doesn't know what an appropriate OCI is for the given oil they spec?

Manufacturer's want to advertise low cost of ownership and long OCIs help in that regard.
I'm not saying that vehicles can't last a long time using manufacturer recommended OCIs but that isn't always the goal of the maker.

Yeah the manufacturer wants to be known as the maker of turds. That makes sense.

Modern engines pretty much *require* long oil change intervals. The problem with direct injection engines is that when you change oil, the engine is being exposed to brand new oil. Brand new oil tends to have an amount of 'boil off' (which can be measured analytically by the NOACK volatility test, or ASTM D5800) which ends up becoming valve and even exhaust gas instrument/EGR/PCV/catalytic converter contaminants. So the less oil changing you can get away with on these engines, the better. So unless the conditions are particularly dusty or severe (almost nobody falls into the true 'severe service category'), the factory 'recommendation' should be taken as an absolute minimum. And for heavens sake, never listen to someone who runs a quickie lube, and don't trust that even a branded dealership will put anything but lowest-bidder bulk dino into your vehicle unless you personally witness the pour from sealed containers.

I literally couldn't sleep at night if I found out that someone was changing a DI engine'ed vehicle I own more frequently than the manufacturer's spec interval.

*Your advice on DI OCI's seems to be opposite of what most posters here believe is correct . I'm not sure of the answer , so I use synthetic 5W30 oil and change it out less than 5,000 miles .
Originally Posted by pitzel
Modern engines pretty much *require* long oil change intervals. The problem with direct injection engines is that when you change oil, the engine is being exposed to brand new oil. Brand new oil tends to have an amount of 'boil off' (which can be measured analytically by the NOACK volatility test, or ASTM D5800) which ends up becoming valve and even exhaust gas instrument/EGR/PCV/catalytic converter contaminants. So the less oil changing you can get away with on these engines, the better. So unless the conditions are particularly dusty or severe (almost nobody falls into the true 'severe service category'), the factory 'recommendation' should be taken as an absolute minimum. And for heavens sake, never listen to someone who runs a quickie lube, and don't trust that even a branded dealership will put anything but lowest-bidder bulk dino into your vehicle unless you personally witness the pour from sealed containers.

I literally couldn't sleep at night if I found out that someone was changing a DI engine'ed vehicle I own more frequently than the manufacturer's spec interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back