Recent Topics
belt squeaking suddenly
by dogememe - 02/24/20 11:45 PM
Is Mobil 1 advanced synthetic a full synthetic?
by apollo18 - 02/24/20 11:08 PM
what stocks to buy?
by daves66nova - 02/24/20 08:55 PM
I thought Windows 7 would be insecure now?
by atikovi - 02/24/20 08:48 PM
When to replace struts
by ram_man - 02/24/20 08:40 PM
Fluid Film + Cayenne Pepper
by pitzel - 02/24/20 05:22 PM
Ford Focus RS Oil Advice!
by fastsvo - 02/24/20 04:23 PM
Cleanest wheels on same axle or same side of car?
by atikovi - 02/24/20 04:13 PM
Mixing 2 stroke oils
by Hirev - 02/24/20 03:57 PM
Insa Turbo Ecosaver Plus
by faramir9 - 02/24/20 03:45 PM
Repair Rusted Rocker Panels Without Welding
by Fitz98 - 02/24/20 03:33 PM
Stalwart tools
by P10crew - 02/24/20 03:32 PM
VOA Eneos Racing Street 0w-50
by zip15 - 02/24/20 03:09 PM
What is your favorite Candy Bar?
by ZZman - 02/24/20 02:27 PM
Help me understand
by 1978elcamino - 02/24/20 02:25 PM
2019 VW Passat Trip Mileage
by Boomer - 02/24/20 01:13 PM
Changed my ATF, difference is crazy!
by cwilliamsws6 - 02/24/20 12:36 PM
Specs on Conventional Oils 4 Comparing
by Perseus - 02/24/20 12:32 PM
Newest Members
EarlT500, Newbie111, Boris_Be, NHR, zip15
70798 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (carviewsonic, Dave_Mark, Bogdon, Bailes1992, CATERHAM, AnthemBassMan, 1 invisible), 1,257 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics301,894
Posts5,204,872
Members70,798
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mint Mobile mini-review and discount #5077553 04/17/19 07:21 AM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 349
P
Padawan Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 349
I'm always looking for ways to save on my cellular bill. Since I own my own unlocked phones, I moved from AT&T post-paid to AT&T Prepaid several years back, which cut my bill in half. Recently, I began looking at other options again, and decided to switch to Mint Mobile a few weeks ago. This again ended up being half the cost of my AT&T Prepaid plan ($20 per month vs. $40 per month for 8GB plans).

Mint uses T-Mobile's network, so I was initially a little concerned about the coverage, but it has generally been quite good for me here in northern NJ with only a few spotty areas around me, and I'm happy with the LTE speeds averaging around 25-35 Mbps. Their customer service has also been pretty decent (I actually got someone on the phone yesterday without holding) and porting my number went very smoothly and quickly using their app. Overall, I can't say I have any real complaints so far, especially considering how inexpensive the service is.

If anyone else has been thinking about trying Mint, I was given a "referral" link that provides $15 off any of their 3, 6, or 12-months plans. It's obviously Mint's attempt to help spread the word and increase their customer base, but it does work out to a pretty decent deal on the 3-month plans. With the $15 discount, the 3GB/month, 3-month plan ends up at $10 per month, which is better than anything comparable I've found so far.

Here is the link to use the referral discount: http://fbuy.me/mrmVJ

You need to follow the link to the Mint website and purchase your plan directly from them in order for the discount to apply. If anyone wants any real-world feedback on Mint or has any questions about it, just send me a note.

Also, I want to clarify that I don't work for Mint, sell Mint, market for them, or have any affiliation with them whatsoever. The only benefit I receive is a $15 savings on my plan renewal if anyone ends up saving $15 on theirs with the referral.

Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5077618 04/17/19 08:32 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,054
Z
zorobabel Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,054
I am using Lyca "pay-as-you-go", but they are discontinuing "pay-as-you-go" next month and will only offer prepaid monthly plans starting at $20 which is too much for me. Hoping someone can suggest cheaper alternatives.


1997 Maxima 210k, Castrol GTX Synblend 5W-30, PL14459
2004 Corolla 211k, Valvoline SynPower 5W-30, K&N HP-1003
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5077668 04/17/19 09:29 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,013
C
CKN Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,013
The way Mint works is that your call is not a priority if the primary network is busy. The network is usually T-Mobile, For example-if you go to a concert and the nearby cell tower is very busy-you will be throttled way back.

Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5077694 04/17/19 10:11 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 384
pkunk Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 384
There's several good alternatives out there. I use RedPocket at $10 a month for 500m-500t- 500mb, upgradeable if I need more. Very reliable T-mobile service. They have smaller & larger pay as you go plans and you can choose different carriers also.


8200 ft elevation in the Sangre de Cristos
2008 Mini Cooper Clubman (toad)
2000 Mercedes ML320
1994 Dodge 2500 Cummins
1999 Ford F53 V10 Coachman Motorhome 34ft
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: pkunk] #5077763 04/17/19 11:32 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 491
M
MoneyJohn Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by pkunk
I use RedPocket at $10 a month for 500m-500t- 500mb, upgradeable if I need more. Very reliable T-mobile service. They have smaller & larger pay as you go plans and you can choose different carriers also.

I am glad it works for you. Red Pocket used to awesome when they used to offer only Verizon based service but now it is taken over by MVNO giant. Now there are many complaints about them. Just go to Howardforums, cellphone plan exclusive forum and read a few. Hence, I am hesitant to switch to RedPocket.
It is said that RedPocket calls are also not a priority on the network.

I use https://www.airvoicewireless.com/10-dollar-monthly Data not included. If you want, you can use the data but the amount gets deducted from your balance (7c/MB) and the equivalent number of minutes. I work from home so I use landline exclusively (google voice with OBi 200). My cellphone usage is not that often so works for me.
The only complaint I have about them is, there is no portal as such to modify your details like the card and stuff. You have to call them up, which is OK but I would prefer to do it online, if possible. Otherwise never had any issues with them.

Stay away from BlackWireless. They also offer cheaper plans on at&t but you get what you pay for.

Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: MoneyJohn] #5077774 04/17/19 11:41 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 384
pkunk Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 384
Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Originally Posted by pkunk
I use RedPocket at $10 a month for 500m-500t- 500mb, upgradeable if I need more. Very reliable T-mobile service. They have smaller & larger pay as you go plans and you can choose different carriers also.

I am glad it works for you. Red Pocket used to awesome when they used to offer only Verizon based service but now it is taken over by MVNO giant. Now there are many complaints about them. Just go to Howardforums, cellphone plan exclusive forum and read a few. Hence, I am hesitant to switch to RedPocket.
It is said that RedPocket calls are also not a priority on the network.

I use https://www.airvoicewireless.com/10-dollar-monthly Data not included. If you want, you can use the data but the amount gets deducted from your balance (7c/MB) and the equivalent number of minutes. I work from home so I use landline exclusively (google voice with OBi 200). My cellphone usage is not that often so works for me.
The only complaint I have about them is, there is no portal as such to modify your details like the card and stuff. You have to call them up, which is OK but I would prefer to do it online, if possible. Otherwise never had any issues with them.

Stay away from BlackWireless. They also offer cheaper plans on at&t but you get what you pay for.

I've had no problems with them for about a year. I suppose it depends where you're located as with any carrier. About the only time I need more data is when I travel in the RV and then I just purchase more in increments, Could do the same for min & texts also but I don't live on a phone like some people. I've never experienced being throttled back but then again, I don't stream or use large data .


8200 ft elevation in the Sangre de Cristos
2008 Mini Cooper Clubman (toad)
2000 Mercedes ML320
1994 Dodge 2500 Cummins
1999 Ford F53 V10 Coachman Motorhome 34ft
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5077778 04/17/19 11:44 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,623
B
bubbatime Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,623
I wanted Verizon cell towers... I went with Total Wireless.

Its $25 a month for unlimited Talk and Text.

I buy a $10 data card for 5GB of LTE data, and that last me about 3 months. The data cards roll over month to month until you use all the data. Your data doesn't just disappear after 30 days.

So my cost for 3 months runs about $85, or $28.33 a month.

Pricing seems ok to me, especially for the use of Verizon towers.

Prior to that I was on Boost mobile for many years. My grandfathered plan was $30/month, which included 6 GB of data every month. It was great service, but on Sprint towers, which had sporadic service in the middle of the country, but great service all over Florida where I live.


2019 Honda CRV 1.5T dealer bulk
2017 Chrysler Pacifica SuperTech synthetic 5W20
2013 Yamaha XT250 Valvoline motorcycle 10W40
2006 GMC Sierra SuperTech high mileage 5W30

Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5101448 05/10/19 09:28 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,713
A
alarmguy Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,713
Thumbs up to REDPOCKET.

You can choose ATT, Verizon, Tmobile or Sprint network.

I am a big fan of ATT networks and that is what we are on with Redpocket. We own our own unlocked phones.

Unlimited talk, text and data of which the first 5 gigs of each line is high speed. OUR ACTUAL MONTHLY PAYMENT IS $70.40 for ALL THREE LINES on ATT network.

There is no contract, the service is ROCK SOLID, you have MANY options if you do not want unlimited everything, there is NO CONTRACT, you cant go wrong.

For people who are challenged with technology I think I might still suggest Cricket but Red Pocket is the clear winner as far as choice of service, performance, options and even what network that you want to be on.

Cricket set up is a bit more intuitive for the challanged, but you do pay for it, both in performance (most likely wouldnt notice) and cost (will notice) but still fantastic value compared to the stupid crazy monthly bills less informed people pay.






Last edited by alarmguy; 05/10/19 09:31 AM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5101482 05/10/19 09:50 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 593
T
talest Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 593
Originally Posted by Padawan
I'm always looking for ways to save on my cellular bill. Since I own my own unlocked phones, I moved from AT&T post-paid to AT&T Prepaid several years back, which cut my bill in half. Recently, I began looking at other options again, and decided to switch to Mint Mobile a few weeks ago. This again ended up being half the cost of my AT&T Prepaid plan ($20 per month vs. $40 per month for 8GB plans).

Mint uses T-Mobile's network, so I was initially a little concerned about the coverage, but it has generally been quite good for me here in northern NJ with only a few spotty areas around me, and I'm happy with the LTE speeds averaging around 25-35 Mbps. Their customer service has also been pretty decent (I actually got someone on the phone yesterday without holding) and porting my number went very smoothly and quickly using their app. Overall, I can't say I have any real complaints so far, especially considering how inexpensive the service is.

If anyone else has been thinking about trying Mint, I was given a "referral" link that provides $15 off any of their 3, 6, or 12-months plans. It's obviously Mint's attempt to help spread the word and increase their customer base, but it does work out to a pretty decent deal on the 3-month plans. With the $15 discount, the 3GB/month, 3-month plan ends up at $10 per month, which is better than anything comparable I've found so far.

Here is the link to use the referral discount: http://fbuy.me/mrmVJ

You need to follow the link to the Mint website and purchase your plan directly from them in order for the discount to apply. If anyone wants any real-world feedback on Mint or has any questions about it, just send me a note.

Also, I want to clarify that I don't work for Mint, sell Mint, market for them, or have any affiliation with them whatsoever. The only benefit I receive is a $15 savings on my plan renewal if anyone ends up saving $15 on theirs with the referral.


So you pay $30 every three months? And how long is your referral good for? That is quite a good bargain.

I once had a promotion of one year of unlimited service for $1 when you purchased an iPhone however that is long gone. Anything under $30 a month will work for me. $10 a month obviously beats that.

Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: alarmguy] #5101849 05/10/19 03:58 PM
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 14
S
selfmechanik Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Thumbs up to REDPOCKET.

You can choose ATT, Verizon, Tmobile or Sprint network.

I am a big fan of ATT networks and that is what we are on with Redpocket. We own our own unlocked phones.

Unlimited talk, text and data of which the first 5 gigs of each line is high speed. OUR ACTUAL MONTHLY PAYMENT IS $70.40 for ALL THREE LINES on ATT network.

There is no contract, the service is ROCK SOLID, you have MANY options if you do not want unlimited everything, there is NO CONTRACT, you cant go wrong.

For people who are challenged with technology I think I might still suggest Cricket but Red Pocket is the clear winner as far as choice of service, performance, options and even what network that you want to be on.

Cricket set up is a bit more intuitive for the challanged, but you do pay for it, both in performance (most likely wouldnt notice) and cost (will notice) but still fantastic value compared to the stupid crazy monthly bills less informed people pay.



I agree on thumbs up for Red Pocket. They've worked out deals to resell all of the big four's services at about half the "retail" price, so you can pick the one that you're probably already using and that works for you (AT&T, Verizon, TMobile, or Sprint) and you'll save money. I'm sure some people have had issues with Red Pocket (and Mint too I'm sure), but I had issues when I had regular TMobile and regular AT&T (not cheap!) and in both cases they couldn't fix my problems (poor or not reception when the map said I should have full bars). So paying "full retail" doesn't mean you'll get better service. I'd suggest at least trying Red Pocket, and if it works and you switch, you'll cut your bill at least in half.

Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5103152 05/12/19 06:36 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,713
A
alarmguy Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,713
Correct, doesnt matter what cell phone company you have, there will always be someone who has issues.

I just got emailed my monthly bill, figured I would past it here, from Redpocket, remember no contract, billed monthly to your credit card, cancel anytime, I mean, how much less thought does it take? (same goes for mint or any other non contract) Where you see the dotted line is where the phone numbers would be for the three phones, which I removed *L*

Item Price
----------------- - 30 Day-Multi-Line- Unlimited Everything [email protected] LTE $30.00
----------------- - 30 Day-Multi-Line- Unlimited Everything [email protected] LTE $20.00
----------------- - 30 Day-Multi-Line- Unlimited Everything [email protected] LTE $20.00
$70.00
Taxable amount:$70.00
Total tax: $0.40
Federal universal service fund: $0.35
Federal cost recovery charge: $0.05
$0.40
Total: $70.40


14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5103187 05/12/19 07:02 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,403
G
greenjp Offline
Offline
G
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,403
I have two phones on Red Pocket (AT&T network). $10 plan for mine, $15 plan for the wife. Zero difference in service compared to when we had the same phones on AT&T. Can't comment on using a smartphone on it.

jeff

Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: talest] #5109495 05/19/19 05:27 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 349
P
Padawan Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by talest
So you pay $30 every three months? And how long is your referral good for? That is quite a good bargain.

I once had a promotion of one year of unlimited service for $1 when you purchased an iPhone however that is long gone. Anything under $30 a month will work for me. $10 a month obviously beats that.


New customers get an "introductory" 3-month plan for the same per-month cost as the 12-month plan, which is $15 per month for the 3 GB tier. I also forgot to mention in my original post that they offer a 7-day money back guarantee if it turns out you're not happy with the service.

So the best deal using the referral would be the 3-month plan, which would give you 3 GB per month for a total of $30 for the entire period. It's definitely the least expensive service I've found on a per-month basis, as long as you're willing to pay for multiple months up front.

After the 3 months are up, if you wanted to continue with Mint, they offer 3, 6, and 12-month plans, with the 12-month being the least expensive (the same $15 per month as the introductory pricing). I'll be doing the 12 month plan, which will only cost me $180 for the entire year of service.

From what I've read on their website, the referral does not expire.

Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: Padawan] #5109847 05/20/19 05:21 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,713
A
alarmguy Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,713
I checked out Mints website, great deal for sure.
I do think most people would be good with it, IF you are ok with 3 GB of data a month and on Tmobiles service.

Red Pocket is priced about the same taking into account 5 gigs of LTE high speed data and unlimited slower speed data after the 5 Gigs per line per month and you can choose to be on ATT.
You can also pay by the year on Red Pocket, they have an ebay store $240 per year for the above or 30 first line and 20 per line after that, month to month.

For sure, both great deals and Mint is a killer deal if your good with Tmobile and 3gigs of data after that its shut off till the next month.

Last edited by alarmguy; 05/20/19 05:22 AM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Mint Mobile mini-review and discount [Re: alarmguy] #5109923 05/20/19 07:08 AM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 349
P
Padawan Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I checked out Mints website, great deal for sure.
I do think most people would be good with it, IF you are ok with 3 GB of data a month and on Tmobiles service.

Red Pocket is priced about the same taking into account 5 gigs of LTE high speed data and unlimited slower speed data after the 5 Gigs per line per month and you can choose to be on ATT.
You can also pay by the year on Red Pocket, they have an ebay store $240 per year for the above or 30 first line and 20 per line after that, month to month.

For sure, both great deals and Mint is a killer deal if your good with Tmobile and 3gigs of data after that its shut off till the next month.


Just to be clear, Mint offers several data tiers, not just the 3 GB plan (which is their lowest tier). You can opt for an 8 GB per month plan for $20/month, or a 12 GB per month plan for $25/month if you want more data.

Also, if you happen to use up all of your data for a particular month, you can purchase additional 4G data for that cycle via the app. If you don't want to purchase more, your data isn't shut off, it's just reduced-speed unlimited data until the next month begins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™