Self Serve Propane Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
These arrived in a Calgary Wally World. You could already buy or exchange bottles of propane from a rack, but now they have a self serve setup. One less employee. Prices are Canadian dollars. Enjoy.

C5F0E67B-1473-4D3D-84CD-9840F16FBF06.jpeg

4FE7E9CC-C575-4F54-A565-E3195172518C.jpeg

1B280C26-4A44-48B2-B85C-E5F7116A0E7D.jpeg

Last edited:
We have had this for years. In fact it's the only way to get propane here. Nobody refills personal tanks anymore.

Originally Posted by PimTac
We have had this for years.

No self service here. I have to pay inside, and then wait for an employee to come outside and swap the tanks for me.

Around here propane dealers are anal about the age of 20lb cylinders, self serve will solve this. On the other hand what about those who will fill damaged or rusted tanks?

This is strictly a tank exchange. You can either take a new tank with propane in it, or take a new tank with propane in it and leave your old one behind. No filling going on.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I don't like it. I don't like the idea of the tank being on somebody else's barbecue at somebody else's house. I gotta have my own propane tank.

The local Sams Club has one. Used it to swap a tank at 1am one night. Convenient.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I don't like it. I don't like the idea of the tank being on somebody else's barbecue at somebody else's house. I gotta have my own propane tank.

The tanks they give you are either brand new or reconditioned enough to look brand new ( certified pressure test and Oklahoma paint job). Often the valves are brand new. The tank I get is usually in better shape than the one I give them, especially if you have some BBQ grease on the old one.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
The blue rino tank exchange is a rip off here. They only come 1/2 filled for $25.

You can have yours filled all the way (4.4 gal) on any corner for about $12.

A full 20 pounder should weigh about 37 lbs. Maybe weigh it and sue them if it doesn't.
laugh.gif

just incase anyone was curious, converting those prices from CAD to Freedom Bucks: (as of May 2nd 2019,12:20am)
Purchase: $47.41
Exchange: $19.14

that's fairly in line with what's charged for the blue rhino exchanges and the like in my area...

A fill is about $5 cheaper here, but when these self-serve machines came in, I had to give it a try. It was very quick and convenient. I would use it again if I were in a rush.

I prefer to use my own tank as it has a gauge on it. Plus cheaper to get it refilled. They can't put a full 20 pounds into them anymore, they need to leave 10% free so the refill is only about 18 pounds. But those rhino tanks are worse, only 15 pounds. There's some disclaimer that says that as I think they got sued for that a while ago. Only good thing about the exchange is that if you find an old tank somewhere, you can just exchange it as they used to charge extra if you had the old style fittings, but those exchange places, the employees are clueless or don't care. Tank exchange is also a good way to convert an old tank to a new one.

The blue rino tank exchange is a rip off here. They only come 1/2 filled for $25. You can have yours filled all the way (4.4 gal) on any corner for about $12.

It's the same issue here. They try to sell you convenience, (which it really isn't, because it takes forever trying to get someone to come out and help you)...... Then after you do it takes them 10 minutes of searching the store, and talking to every employee in the place, in order to locate the keys. There are no, "propane vending machines" in this area.

Then, after that it's just as you say. You're getting ripped off on a short fill. If you have to deal with propane, you're far better off, (not to mention faster and cheaper), to get your own tank refilled at a station. There are several within 5 minutes of my house. When I was using propane to grill, I tried the tank exchange method first. And I found the tanks were barely lasting half as long. The first thing I noticed after purchasing my own cylinder, was how much heavier it was after getting it refilled.

As long as there's no outdated tanks in there. With the Blue Rhino, you can check the dates before buying. Most employees don't look, but it's the occasional few that'll get you and stick you with an old tank. Not the end of the world since a new cert and possible valve is $12 here, but it's the principle.

I prefer to have my own as well. 1 in use and 1 on standby.

The blue rino tank exchange is a rip off here. They only come 1/2 filled for $25.

You can have yours filled all the way (4.4 gal) on any corner for about $12.

Same here in Louisiana, the Blue Rhino tanks are filled approximately 2/3's full. I get mine filled "full" for about $12 with tax!

I can just see people returning tanks in disastrous shape to a self serve, if an employee were involved they could reject pieces of junk.
Fine if they take a loss on the crummy tanks and junk them, not so good if they just pass them on to the next sucker (more likely in my view after buying toys that had been used for years and then returned at big chains).

Blue Rhino also has PROPRIETARY VALVES!!
No Thanks.................

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/20-lb-exchange-propane-tanks-197893-2.html
https://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=518.0
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=toolt&th=113794

I have to bring a bathroom scale when I swap a pre-filled tank. Sometimes, there's several pounds difference!!!!!

Now.... I have a "wet line" off of my 250 gallon tank, and refill all of my portable bottles MYSELF!

They probably did their market research. Calgary has over a million people. The big box stores are filled with propane BBQs, indicating a great many homes have propane BBQs, and almost no one has a 250 lb propane tank as the city is serviced with natural gas. Grant you, there are probably a lot of natural gas BBQs. ( I had one).
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back