Why isnt there more love for Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by geekster
I think it's funny that for how "logical" most BITOGers tend to appear, we are just as susceptible to our own personal biases and beliefs. We look for facts to constantly back up our claims and beliefs. Yet, sometimes the facts don't matter.

After being a member and reading constantly on here the last 10 yrs I've concluded that as long as it meets the specs any modern oil is fine to use, regardless the brand.

I agree with you on all accounts.

QS is marketed as a value brand by Shell compared to Pennzoil and QS formula isn't as stout as Penn in full syn range, certifications lag too. Prices are same or very similar, so why buy QS?
With blended oils there are other brands that make very competitive and cheaper products.
Conventional, hmm, many are actually blends now at price of conventional oils, why buy dyno oil?

Originally Posted by dubber09
QS is marketed as a value brand by Shell compared to Pennzoil and QS formula isn't as stout as Penn in full syn range, certifications lag too. Prices are same or very similar, so why buy QS?
With blended oils there are other brands that make very competitive and cheaper products.
Conventional, hmm, many are actually blends now at price of conventional oils, why buy dyno oil?

I don't think any certs lag on QSUD. It is an excellent oil that is supposed to use a different GTL base than PP. I also agree that more love would be shown with more rebates...

I think have differentiated QSUD and PP as both being excellent for antiwear packages but maybe PP having a slightly better cleaning addpack...

Yes I think there would be more love for QS if there were rebates. But I guess they already market at a discount selling at WM for $19.97 a jug.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Yes I think there would be more love for QS if there were rebates. But I guess they already market at a discount selling at WM for $19.97 a jug.

There seem to be a lot of people on here that hate rebates and have trouble even collecting their money, so having an oil that's already priced very low without a rebate is a bonus for them.

Originally Posted by Patman

There seem to be a lot of people on here that hate rebates and have trouble even collecting their money, so having an oil that's already priced very low without a rebate is a bonus for them.

I don't understand this. In this day and age a rebate can be done online in less than 60 seconds. That's all it took me and I got my check in the mail in ten days from Chevron. Another 30 seconds to take pictures and submit the deposit electronically to my bank and five minutes later it was approved and available.

Exactly
I buy QS because it works and has for years. I don't wait on rebates to influence my purchase.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I don't understand this. In this day and age a rebate can be done online in less than 60 seconds. That's all it took me and I got my check in the mail in ten days from Chevron. Another 30 seconds to take pictures and submit the deposit electronically to my bank and five minutes later it was approved and available.

Yes its been easy with every oil seller I've submitted to with the exception of Suxxszoil they are only 1 for three the rest Shell T6, Quaker State and Valvoline have all been a piece of cake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

I have to say I'm with Patman on this.

Like when my lady and I went shopping at the local Harris Teeter store that just opened... It was a $10 off more than $50 order coupon THEY mailed to us... If I want to use a coupon they send me... I'm ok with that. Much easier that way... No pictures needed... No registration..Much simpler with a coupon mailed to me.

So.... Chevron mail me a blanking coupon
lol.gif

Actually... I'm fairly ok with the price of Chevron Havoline at Wally World... A good deal everyday already
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Env1ous
Quaker State definitely deserves more love! A lot of people on here run Supertech synthetic mainly because of it's low $16 price tag, but when you can get QSUD for just $4 more than seems like a no brainer to me, I'd rather run a known entity like that than wondering which supplier happened to be the one to supply Walmart in your area. We've all seen the recent PQIA test that showed QSUD 5w20 had a low 7.1% volatility rating, that's very impressive.

And it is SN Plus and dexos 1 Gen 2. Do you think it has a similar add pack like PP? I really like PP and PUP but it is on the thinner side where as QSUD is thicker for the 5w-30. The only thing that threw me off is people saying it had a low quality base on some past posts I read.

*PP has A5/B5 sheer resistant rating where as QSUD does not . I believe only only PP and M1 5W30 are shown meeting A5/B5 in 5W30 synthetic from WM . I drive a Hyundai GDI engine , so I change my oil around a severe duty schedule 3,750 miles) thus I would not hesitate to use QSUD 5W30m in my Hyundai GDI engine .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Originally Posted by Env1ous
Quaker State definitely deserves more love! A lot of people on here run Supertech synthetic mainly because of it's low $16 price tag, but when you can get QSUD for just $4 more than seems like a no brainer to me, I'd rather run a known entity like that than wondering which supplier happened to be the one to supply Walmart in your area. We've all seen the recent PQIA test that showed QSUD 5w20 had a low 7.1% volatility rating, that's very impressive.

And it is SN Plus and dexos 1 Gen 2. Do you think it has a similar add pack like PP? I really like PP and PUP but it is on the thinner side where as QSUD is thicker for the 5w-30. The only thing that threw me off is people saying it had a low quality base on some past posts I read.

*PP has A5/B5 sheer resistant rating where as QSUD does not . I believe only only PP and M1 5W30 are shown meeting A5/B5 in 5W30 synthetic from WM . I drive a Hyundai GDI engine , so I change my oil around a severe duty schedule 3,750 miles) thus I would not hesitate to use QSUD 5W30m in my Hyundai GDI engine .

I use the QSUD in my Hyundai GDI over the PP A5/B5 because the QS has a higher 100*C cSt, 11.6 vs 9.8. Also, the flash point for the QSUD is given as 234*C vs 207*C for the PP. I too run the 3750 schedule.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

Good to know thanks!

It just amazes me how people think the severe service OCI schedule can eliminate the effects of bad engineering.

Wanna know the real way to fix bad engineering? STOP BUYING CARS WITH BAD ENGINEERING, regardless of the warranty they offer! Those manufacturers will either fix it, or go out of business. Never buy a first year "all-new" car model, or a new engine during the first three years, if you're looking to avoid major headaches, IMHO. That's why I won't be buying a Subaru 2.4T until at least 2021-2022. Let somebody else figure out any bugs LoL.

I'd much rather have a car on the far side of warranty coverage that never needed it, rather than a 100k mile warranty that was in the shop every 30k for major repairs or recalls...

I used QS conventional oil for ages, back before it was under the SOPUS banner, and I never had a single problem with any engine I used it in. I'm currently using Kendall GT-1 Max, because I'm getting a sweet deal on it. But I wouldn't hesitate to us QS FS or Conventional in the future. Especially now that's it's a SOPUS product.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
It just amazes me how people think the severe service OCI schedule can eliminate the effects of bad engineering.

Wanna know the real way to fix bad engineering? STOP BUYING CARS WITH BAD ENGINEERING, regardless of the warranty they offer! Those manufacturers will either fix it, or go out of business. Never buy a first year "all-new" car model, or a new engine during the first three years, if you're looking to avoid major headaches, IMHO. That's why I won't be buying a Subaru 2.4T until at least 2021-2022. Let somebody else figure out any bugs LoL.

I'd much rather have a car on the far side of warranty coverage that never needed it, rather than a 100k mile warranty that was in the shop every 30k for major repairs or recalls...

Excellent advice!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Based on this forum, what manufacturer doesn't have bad engineering? Except a Honda Fit or Toyota Echo

Originally Posted by dave1251
Not according to Canadians to them it was Castrol.

Yes, that was always a big thing here, and probably for the same reason Brand X anywhere. Castrol always had pretty good penetration here, and still does. Going 10,000 miles on 1970s conventional oil changes is the oil's fault, not the consumer's.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back